You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Android thread

Stu Monty

I thought it'd be an idea to have a thread for people to post about decent apps, games and shit that they've added to their HTC phones.

I've added a few for my holiday, like the currency converter and the translator, but I'm looking for sugestions on decent stuff that people have added?

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For games I found out that the Android has a very good Sega Genesis emulator called Gensoid. It runs most games at full speed and has good controls. There is nothing better than playing games like Streets of Rage or Aero Blasters on your phone.

^^^^ Completely the wrong thread there, Jim.

My Hero finally got the Android 2.1 update today and its a bit like having a new phone as the OS is now so shit hot.

Looking forward to seeing what I can do apps-wise now I'm, more or less, up-to-date.

Android 2.2 is just about to start rolling out, so you'll get it on your Desire soon, Stu.

Guest TesticleOReilly

My Hero finally got the Android 2.1 update today and its a bit like having a new phone as the OS is now so shit hot.

Looking forward to seeing what I can do apps-wise now I'm, more or less, up-to-date.

Android 2.2 is just about to start rolling out, so you'll get it on your Desire soon, Stu.

It'll be a while, yet, HTC have to put their Sense package over the top of the OS.

Edit: Q3 2010, apparently.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

just got the HD2 which has the windows mobile 6.5 os, the good thing is that by the end of the year their will be a downloadable android os and the new windows mobile 7 os.

It's great being able to choose from 3 different os' if you don't like your current one.

I have a Desire from Orange and love it except for the low memory. Looking forward to 2.2 which means I can store apps on the SD card.

Ted, I have a friend with a Hero with 1.5- How do you go about getting the update? Is it fairly easy? Also useful to know for when the 2.2 update will be available for the Desire- Assuming Orange don't take the piss with it.

just got the HD2 which has the windows mobile 6.5 os, the good thing is that by the end of the year their will be a downloadable android os and the new windows mobile 7 os.

It's great being able to choose from 3 different os' if you don't like your current one.

Uhm, no. Firstly, Android will never be officially ported to the HD2. There are newer and better phones for them to work with. You can just pray that the folks at xda-devs get their port working, it's making good progress but ultimately it's still not a complete solution. Secondly, Windows 7 Series OS will never be officially ported to the HD2. The cunts over at Microsoft will take this opportunity to roll out a new line of phones.

A real shame, a shite OS on fantastic hardware.

Uhm, no. Firstly, Android will never be officially ported to the HD2. There are newer and better phones for them to work with. You can just pray that the folks at xda-devs get their port working, it's making good progress but ultimately it's still not a complete solution. Secondly, Windows 7 Series OS will never be officially ported to the HD2. The cunts over at Microsoft will take this opportunity to roll out a new line of phones.

A real shame, a shite OS on fantastic hardware.

strange, as many folks have told me that android will be made available, xda are working on this.

Android and Ubuntu Now Booting on HTC HD2 | xda-developers

I'm sorry, but the fact that something can boot on a device is pretty fucking far from it working properly.

That, and official support. In short, if you want Android I think you've bought the wrong phone.

It's a good point mate, don't really give one about android to be honest, just nice to have the option of switching OS on a mobile. If it can't be done it's no hardship, i'm happy with windows mobile.

Guest TesticleOReilly

Android 3.0 Gingerbread detailed, juicy specs confirmed

Froyo is barely out the door, but attention is already turning to the next Android version - 3.0 Gingerbread. It will impose minimum hardware requirements, the UI is getting overhauled and Android is splitting into two.

Android 3.0 Gingerbread, says Eldar Murtazin, will be for high-end devices only. A 1GHz CPU and 512MB RAM at minimum, plus a display over 3.5" inches in diagonal. Android 2.1 Eclair/2.2 Froyo will remain and run on mid-range and low-end phones.

This will officially lead to the Android platform splitting into two. With so many complaints about platform segmentation now, we can only imagine what it will be when this happens.

Anyway, Android 3.0 Gingerbread will add support for a new resolution - 1280x760 (just over 720p) for screens 4" and bigger (the iPad has a 4:3 1024x768 screen). This should mostly benefit Android-based tablets, which haven't been doing too well so far.

The new version will also bring the end to 3rd-party UIs - still, HTC, Samsung, Motorola and the rest will be able to keep their mods for the 2.1/2.2 branch of Android. The new UI for Android 3.0 Gingerbread is said to take its cue from the Gallery App on the Nexus One - the feel, the transitions and so on.

Android 3.0 Gingerbread is expected in mid October - and we expect the first phone to get it to be the Nexus One (it meets the requirements). Unless the oft rumored Nexus Two beats it to the punch.

And as always unofficial ports will become available for current phones. But let's not put the cart before the horse - all this is still rumors, there's no official word from Google yet.

From GSM Arena, which in turn have taken it from a russian podcast source.

How do I get it on mine, mate?

Is it just a case of waiting for T.moblie to get off there arses and send me the update or can it be done some other way?

Android 3.0 Gingerbread detailed, juicy specs confirmed

Froyo is barely out the door, but attention is already turning to the next Android version - 3.0 Gingerbread. It will impose minimum hardware requirements, the UI is getting overhauled and Android is splitting into two.

Android 3.0 Gingerbread, says Eldar Murtazin, will be for high-end devices only. A 1GHz CPU and 512MB RAM at minimum, plus a display over 3.5" inches in diagonal. Android 2.1 Eclair/2.2 Froyo will remain and run on mid-range and low-end phones.

This will officially lead to the Android platform splitting into two. With so many complaints about platform segmentation now, we can only imagine what it will be when this happens.

Anyway, Android 3.0 Gingerbread will add support for a new resolution - 1280x760 (just over 720p) for screens 4" and bigger (the iPad has a 4:3 1024x768 screen). This should mostly benefit Android-based tablets, which haven't been doing too well so far.

The new version will also bring the end to 3rd-party UIs - still, HTC, Samsung, Motorola and the rest will be able to keep their mods for the 2.1/2.2 branch of Android. The new UI for Android 3.0 Gingerbread is said to take its cue from the Gallery App on the Nexus One - the feel, the transitions and so on.

Android 3.0 Gingerbread is expected in mid October - and we expect the first phone to get it to be the Nexus One (it meets the requirements). Unless the oft rumored Nexus Two beats it to the punch.

And as always unofficial ports will become available for current phones. But let's not put the cart before the horse - all this is still rumors, there's no official word from Google yet.

From GSM Arena, which in turn have taken it from a russian podcast source.

Fuck me, I can still remember being chuffed when I got a PC with those specs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got my desire delivered tonight just getting to grips with it now

Downloaded a few recommended apps

ATK - application killer. Stops programmes running in the background potentially using 3g allowance and battery

3g Watchdog - Keeps an eye on your 3g usage you imput your monthly limit and it alerts you how much you use

Had mine a few days as well. Those two you mention are tops - there's another called Juice Defender which looks really useful along those lines, but I've not got my head round it yet. AppMonster allows you to delete any unwanted apps in a second.

Couple of good camera apps which seem a lot better than the standard one - FxCamera, which is really quick starting and has a couple of excellent novelty modes - toy camera and polaroid. Camera 360 seems to be a bit more of a 'professional' app.

Used My Tracks for the first time today, as I've been doing some walking recently - it's superb, and has really convinced me this big complicated phone is worth it. Basically it uses GPS to track you walking, running, cycling when you tel it to and it tells you times, distance, elevation, route on google maps. You can save and upload your recordings.

Seesmic looks like the best Twitter app, and I prefer Opera Mini to Dolphin Browser. The standard Facebook app seems ok.

Struggled to find a decent music player - TuneWiki is the best so far.

Games: Abduction!, Paper Toss, Bonsai Blast & Puzzlorama.