You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The David Moores Letter

What did you think of the letter from DM?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the letter from DM?

• Excellent.
    • Good, but could have gone a bit further
    • Disappointing
    • Completely pointless

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's been called every name that he could be.

It's been pointed out how gullible/stupid/greedy he appears to be.

People point at the £8 Mill extra he got and wonder if that was the driver for the sale.

Really - I don't care about all that. I don't care that Moores has now decided the time is right to try and exonerate himslef from any wrong-doing in the sale. Fair enough from his point of view I suppose - his own self view and self esteem must be rock bottom

The ONE thing I want to know from Moores is

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT NOW ?

3000 words are just that - words on tomorrows fish wrappers. Easily written and even more easily discarded.

WHAT IS YOUR NEXT STEP? What tangible action will you be taking to prove that you meant every word of that article?

Balls in your court Mr Moores - we're all waiting.

I dont think you get it. They are fucking broke and no bank will touch them to forward the finance for building a stadium. Again, that post clouded the issue further. We already have enough shite flying around.

I do get it clearly, and it was the wrong choice of words, but I was responding to This post:

No, they would keep on to us as we have the ability to grow as a club and the business plan would be succeeding. With the new stadium, are matchday income would skyrocket from what it is now. This would probably cover the loans to a degree at first and the plan was to grow as a club and make more money.

Basically, look at Arsenal. That should have been us. Didn't they make £300 million this year?

Now that is utter bullshit and everything I said was right it would cost us £700m+ more if it goes up to 70,000.

That is 16x our turnover it's utterly unsustainable given that Utd are fucked with a debt that's only seven times their turnover.

I do get it clearly, and it was the wrong choice of words, but I was responding to This post:

Now that is utter bullshit and everything I said was right it would cost us £700m+ more if it goes up to 70,000.

That is 16x our turnover it's utterly unsustainable given that Utd are fucked with a debt that's only seven times their turnover.

Probably better to leave HoJ alone. All of his points have been answered, yet he ignores the answers and goes on and on about the price of steel.

Ignoring this misguided fool is the way forward. Don't entertain him anymore.

A completely unsustainable business model which no bank would touch.

That fucking picture of Hicks makes me feel ill.

I agree with that. But then, you can easily see why people think he is greedy, can't you?

As I said in my above post, various things doesn't make sense. He wasn't prepared to be bullied by DIC but says he couldn't have done more checks about G&H in the time available. Why? Was he bullied by the Americans too?

He has never responded to DIC's claims of him and Parry never returning their calls. DIC are dickheads but why did Moores and Parry not take their calls?

Looks like Moores expected DIC to order the steel even before they signed the offer. Why didn't he do the same with Gillett/Hicks? Why no mention of that? If he was so particular about DIC not buying steel before the agreed timeline, why isn't he saying anything about posting the same condition to Gillett and Hicks?

If he was so worried about DIC's plan to sell the club after 7 years and borrow £300m, why didn't he do enough checks on Hicks? If he was so worried about the club's future, he shouldn't have allowed to do things within a timeline. He could have taken his time (after all G&H were the only ones in the table as DIC had walked away by then) and as he said he should have "posted the right questions even if might have meant G&H walked away from the deal". He didn't. I think he was naive and some people think he was greedy. Truth is probably in the middle somewhere. But I certainly won't blame people for thinking he is greedy.

Freddie Boswell: "What d'yer reckon to these abdabs then Rick, seem a bit - yer know..... yer reckon they really shag the camels??"

Coco:"George is back with a mate, reckons they can do a deal now, maybe get a bit extra out of them?"

Freddie Boswell: "Go on then, know where yer are with the yanks like, we speaka da same lingo..... Eh, be sure to get a couple of refrees like mind - checfk them out and shit, we only sell the family silver once!"

It's true, sorry seems to be the hardest word.

I have no doubt that Moores loves the club, and he always came across as a likeable chap, but due to massive incompetence for 16 years by himself and Slick Parry he has started the potential death of this club. That is where I have issues with him.

How fucking dare he think he has nothing to apologise for.

Wishing death on him is a bit harsh though.

Liverpool Echo - Liverpool FC - News - David Moores is a welcome voice in Liverpool FC’s crucial campaign to oust Hicks and Gillett - Comment by Sports Editor John Thompson

IT'S tempting, even inevitable, to pore over David Moores' open letter and pick up on every detail, analysing whether he is right or wrong with what he says and how he sees it now.

Indeed it is!!

But today by far the most important lines the ex-Liverpool chairman pens come with his demands for Hicks and Gillett to get out of Liverpool FC.

That's what is urgently needed for a great football club in peril. It's what every Liverpool fan – and Moores is certainly one too – now wants to see happen.

It is the common goal which, for all the debate, every Reds fan shares. A flagpole demand which every supporter, whatever their view, background, or address here in Liverpool, England or abroad, must rally round and focus upon.

Moores is not a man of confrontation. And he should be believed when he stresses his motive in selling to the pair was not to pocket a few more millions than he could have had from Dubai.

Why should we believe him? For fuck's sake, he claims to have backed out on DIC for reasons not applicable to H&G... If he put his profit into the Share Liverpool project I might be inclined to respect him a little rather than despite him like I do today....

For all his flaws and critics, there is no doubt Moores is right when he insists he cares about Liverpool far more than that.

About fucking time he came out and said something then... (and when he did speak it is more of a defense over his sale than anything else!!)

I sat in his office interviewing him for the ECHO just 12 hours before Hicks and Gillett first walked into Anfield. The cracks in his voice and tears in his eyes were genuine as he relinquished control. With Rick Parry, Moores wanted to make the right decision and hoped he had done.

Time and tide now show that selling to Hicks and Gillett was a huge mistake. Blame has to be apportioned to some degree. Lessons must be learned. That is the least this sorry episode owes the supporters. But for all the natural desire to examine the past it’s vital Liverpudlians, rather than fracture into factions, stick together to help a club that needs them now like never before.

"You only sell the family silver once" remember....

Moores has joined the cries from fans groups like the Spirit of Shankly and Share Liverpool. He has added his weight to the ECHO's continued calls for Hicks and Gillett to go.

He should be welcomed to the fold of protest, given credit for his dignity and honesty, and assured by fans that someday, somehow, he will be back among them at Anfield.

I welcome him into the fold of protest, even when it is a few year to late...

Dignity and honesty - well I am not buying the "I did nothing wrong speach..." Incompetent he always was, but fuck me this was a fuck up of historical proportions....

If he put his money back into a bid for the club I'd welcome him back, as to the current situation he can watch the games on the telly....

Bit of a fart in a hurricaine that letter. I think it was unwise to start the thing off with having nothing to apologise for. Also, I think he should have put his weight behind SOS as soon as he saw that the two cowboys were taking the piss, which is quite a while ago. Maybe used a bit of the extra cash he got from them to help the cause? I don't think he is evil and i don't doubt that he thinks he loves the club, but to think he has nothing to apologise for is spectacularly silly.

It is possible to apologise for making mistakes, David, and you made a massive one. The lack of apology makes the whole thing pretty pointless.

Firstly I think Moores deserves a bit of credit for speaking out. It is what we all wanted on this site and is the reason why some of our memebers went to his house requesting this to help force out the current owners.

I personally think Moores was acting in the best interests of the club, rather than looking for the best deal for himself individually - but others might disagree.

Where I think he made mistakes was setting a timeframe on the whole deal. As Parry stated "you only sell the family silver once" and Moores highlights they wanted the best deal for the club. Therefore setting a deadline does not help with finding the best investors and as it turned out it looks to me that they did rush through the due diligence on Gillett and Hicks.

I think they were right to appoint PWC to look into the pair and I am shocked that both passed risk free. However PWC seemed to be only looking at whether the pair were good for the money and whether the money was clean. However as Moores stated we needed owners that not only had the finances but would stick to our traditions and care for the club.

Maybe Moores thought the personal letter stating the promises that were not delivered would ensure the club had protection if the owners went against their word. However legally it is clear we didn't have protection given the mess we are in and that letter wasn't worth anything to us, just cheap talk from the owners.

Not doubt Moores made mistakes which has cost us dear and I don't think he will ever be forgiven for those. However I do think he was acting in the best interests of the club and I will give him credit for bringing this into the forefront of the medias attention again - increasing the scrutiny on Gillett and Hicks.

I do believe he cares for the club, but unfortunately his naive actions have hurt us and I think he will live with that for the rest of his life.

Agree with all of that LFD.

Guest davelfc

Well it seems a long time since his mate rick told us:

"This is great for Liverpool, our supporters and the shareholders – it is the beginning of a new era for the Club. The partnership created by George and Tom is very special. They are bringing to the table tremendous and relevant experience, a passion for sport, real resources and a strong commitment to the traditions of Liverpool. Their approach represents exactly the sort of genuine partnership that Liverpool has been seeking over recent times. We know that George and Tom want a long-term relationship with Liverpool and that they also understand the importance of investing in our success both on and off the field. They have made clear their intention to move as quickly as practicable on the financing and construction of our proposed new stadium at Stanley Park and also to support investment in the playing squad. This has been an important time for the Club. We now have the right partners for the future. I am absolutely certain we have now ended up in the right place, with owners who will help the Club succeed and prosper.”

Little did we know how little they actually knew. Personally I don't think we will hear another peep out of moores now. He will be able to sleep soundly now he has removed any blame from himself and his good mate rick.

Liverpool Echo - News - Liverpool Local News - David Moores is a welcome voice in Liverpool FC’s crucial campaign to oust Hicks and Gillett - Comment by Sports Editor John Thompson

IT'S tempting, even inevitable, to pore over David Moores' open letter and pick up on every detail, analysing whether he is right or wrong with what he says and how he sees it now.

But today by far the most important lines the ex-Liverpool chairman pens come with his demands for Hicks and Gillett to get out of Liverpool FC.

That's what is urgently needed for a great football club in peril. It's what every Liverpool fan – and Moores is certainly one too – now wants to see happen.

It is the common goal which, for all the debate, every Reds fan shares. A flagpole demand which every supporter, whatever their view, background, or address here in Liverpool, England or abroad, must rally round and focus upon.

Moores is not a man of confrontation. And he should be believed when he stresses his motive in selling to the pair was not to pocket a few more millions than he could have had from Dubai.

For all his flaws and critics, there is no doubt Moores is right when he insists he cares about Liverpool far more than that.

I sat in his office interviewing him for the ECHO just 12 hours before Hicks and Gillett first walked into Anfield. The cracks in his voice and tears in his eyes were genuine as he relinquished control. With Rick Parry, Moores wanted to make the right decision and hoped he had done.

Time and tide now show that selling to Hicks and Gillett was a huge mistake. Blame has to be apportioned to some degree. Lessons must be learned. That is the least this sorry episode owes the supporters. But for all the natural desire to examine the past it’s vital Liverpudlians, rather than fracture into factions, stick together to help a club that needs them now like never before.

Moores has joined the cries from fans groups like the Spirit of Shankly and Share Liverpool. He has added his weight to the ECHO's continued calls for Hicks and Gillett to go.

He should be welcomed to the fold of protest, given credit for his dignity and honesty, and assured by fans that someday, somehow, he will be back among them at Anfield.

Fuck off Thompson you utter shithouse.