You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why has Rafa stayed with us?

Jens

He´s said it many times, "I want to stay and fight". He´s rejected Real Madrid three times already and he will probably say no to Juventus in the summer.

The question I ask myself is why? His managerial style is clearly a lot more suited to Spanish and Italian football where teams try to play football on the ground.

He´s said it many times, "I want to stay and fight". He´s rejected Real Madrid three times already and he will probably say no to Juventus in the summer.

The question I ask myself is why? His managerial style is clearly a lot more suited to Spanish and Italian football where teams try to play football on the ground.

£5m a year for five years.

I think he's stayed so far because he genuinely likes the club a lot.

The money argument is based on the premise he couldn't make the same elsewhere. I think that premise is wrong.

Exactly, as far as the money goes. Liking the club is just one part, though, and in fact a bit of a by-product. He came here, started his project, put all his energy into it, put all his time into it, and he wants to succeed.

To become a football manager at the level he is, one needs to be extremely ambitious, ruthless, single minded and massively selfish. He has achieved success on the pitch and he has achieved success financially, as well. What he has not achieved so far is what most people like him crave, and that is a legacy. He needs to leave with his head high, on his terms, and leaving behind something that the future generations talk about.

Shankly did it, Paisley did it, Dalglish did it, Ferguson is doing it, and Wenger in his own way, as well. Rafa has not done it, and that clearly bugs him. He is ultra competitive, and he wants to beat the others. He can't do it from Juve...

Another reason he's stayed with us, is that we're complete blind idiots.

Even if he came out and said "I really didnt win Istanbul, I didnt even believe in it, it was the players only", we'll still sing his name.

He's a horrible manager, at least for Liverpool. He might as well go to Spain and trophies again, but he's not the type of gaffer we need, we've always needed someone with charisma and character, and with Roy Evans, Houllier, and Rafa, it's quite the opposite that we got.

Rafa's had enough defending because of the yank thingy, he's been lucky on several occasions, he's been lucky we've had players like Gerrard and Carra who bleed for the club, who always pulled rabbits out of hats after which Rafa got the credit.

Stop making a whorehouse out of this club.

Cause he would have been sacked about five times in any other top club.

I can imagine two scenarios for Benitez once he is sacked at Liverpool:

1 He gets a top job with a struggling top team and gets the sack within one or two seasons, especially if they need rebuilding. (Juventus is the ideal top team for him cause traditionally they play the most boring football of all the top teams)

2 He gets a job with a second tier club and again, if he has to rebuild the team, he will get the sack soon.

Forgot to add: He won't get as much control as he has at Liverpool in any other club.

I agree with what Delmar said above.

And CityofLiverpool - that's your view and you're more than entitled to it, but please don't turn this into yet another "I hate Rafa" thread. The question that started the thread off was a reasonable one. The question is why does Rafa want to stay, not why do you want him to go.

I've got to admit I'm starting to run out of suggestions as to how he's going to turn anything round with the performances that have been coming out of this team lately. But I firmly believe that up until this season he has been taking the club in the right direction.

And I think he believes that he can turn it round and wants to prove all his detractors wrong. If the club give him the chance and he does, then it will be a great story. If not then we'll be in the shit, and it will be easier for me to get tickets in the future.

Two answers:

1. He loves the club, he loves the city.

2. He's paid more than he would be at most other European clubs: Guardiola gets £2m per year, including win bonuses; Juve could only offer him £2.5m a year. He gets that money without the need to take any responsibility for on-pitch performances.

So the question ought to be 'Why should he ever want to leave'?

Two answers:

2. He's paid more than he would be at most other European clubs: Guardiola gets £2m per year, including win bonuses; Juve could only offer him £2.5m a year. He gets that money without the need to take any responsibility for on-pitch performances.

Guardiola just signed a new contract, I doubt anyone knows for how much. His first was low, as he was a risk. Juve's offer was net, being very close to what Rafa's net apparently is here. And that was just to start the talks.

He is responsible for the on pitch performances for his part. It is silly to say otherwise. Even this thread show for its tiny little part that he is on thin ice because of the performances.

Two answers:

Guardiolas salary last year was as follows:

1.5 million euros per year fixed

A bonus of 500.000 euros if Barca clasified for the CH L

An added bonus of 600.000 euros if Barca won the league

An added bonus of 400.000 euros if BArca won the Cup

An added 1 million euros if Barca won the CH L

Ads Barca won all these trophies he earned 4 million euros which is not even half of what other managers get even if they don't win anything.

He has signed now an extension for one more year and I guess there has been an increase in his salary but don't know the numbers.