You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa needs to bring in a classy left back in the summer

Jens

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3 priority positions for me are:

1. Backup for Torres -Hopefully Chamak

2. Big strong, aggressive centre half whose dominant in the air - I like the look of Kjaer or Amorobietta.

3. Left back - I'd like to see Kelly getting a run out there, that's where he played for Huddersfield on loan and he looks comfortable on either foot.

The 3 priority positions for me are:

1. Backup for Torres -Hopefully Chamak

2. Big strong, aggressive centre half whose dominant in the air - I like the look of Kjaer or Amorobietta.

3. Left back - I'd like to see Kelly getting a run out there, that's where he played for Huddersfield on loan and he looks comfortable on either foot.

For me, in order of importance/preference....

1. Classy wide player. Krasic, Arda Turan, Mehmut Ozil. That kind of player. Not someone who's just all pace and step-overs, but someone who can play withtheir head up and link up with those around them and bring others into the game.

2. Another striker.

3. Left-back. Insua still can do the business for us in my opinion. But with Aurelio maybe off, and even if he stays, someone who can't be relied upon. We need someone else there.

4. Agree with the shout for an aerially dominant centre half. But then we already had one of those and he never played enough, and he's currently been keeping clean sheets for fun in Germany, helping his side to the top of the table, having played all but one of their games. Which makes a mockery of the notion he never had the legs to have played more for us.

They tried Mavinga at left back in the reserves last week. Wouldn't be surprised if they are seeing whether he could be an option. He actually looked pretty average but if they kept him there for the rest of the season I'm sure he could develop into a pretty decent left back (albeit a little limited offensively). Kelly played a few games there whilst he was at Huddesfield and could be an option.

I think Felipe will end up at Barca or Madrid so our best bet is probably someone like Taiwo although he wouldn't come cheap.

And your point is Lance?

I think Insua could do with a older player as competition.

We do have Fabio like but he's made of glass is he not?!

He wouldn't be cheap, and he'd have no resale value... and he'll likely only hack another year at a top level.

It just doesn't make fiscal sense.

I do agree that an older player that Insua/Buchtmann/Mavinga could learn from would be a good purchase though... as it seems that Aurelio won't be renewed.

Insua will come good.

Spend the money further forward- back up for Torres and some decent width.

Insua is a good player but he's very limited at the minute and I'm not too sure he has what it takes to get to that next level. We need a pacey LB with good positional awareness. Aurelio has that, just a pity he's made of glass.

I'd sign N'zogbia, as he can play left wing and left back. Give Aurelia a pay as you play deal and that way we'd still have three good options at left back, now Dossena has gone.

I would like to see us sign a top wide player, ideally for the left wing. No doubt Silva would be the most obvious player, but just someone who can beat players and create chances for Torres / Gerrard and co.

We also need another striking option, however I don't think we need to spend a fortune on this. Just a player who can cover Torres to a better standard than what we already have.

I'd sell Kuyt, Riera and Babel to raise funds.