You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I've just sold my car and so want to buy another one. A couple I have looked at are SORN. Could I buy it and drive it home and then tax it next month - or is there no flexibility in the off road thingy?

I would phone the DVLA and ask them mate, I went with my brother to get a car from wales and drove it home with no tax and I was shitting it all the way as I wasnt sure if It I was allowed to or not.

According to the absolute letter of the law, you cannot drive a car with no tax on it under any circumstances. If you were to buy a car today, you should backdate the tax to December 1st. I had this exact same problem and phoned the DVLA to ask them. Basically I was buying a SORN car on like 27th or 28th of a month and pointed out that there was no way I'd have all of the relevant paperwork in time to buy my tax that month. The woman said that there was absolutely nothing I could do and I would have to wait until the next month before I could pick the car up.

I think your insurance is invalidated if the car isn't taxed.

What i was trying to say is that if i can prove that i've transfered my insurance from old car to new car and i am purely driving the car from the previous owner to my driveway and as long as i prove i then purchase back dated tax at the earliest possible time, i cant see an issue.

What i was trying to say is that if i can prove that i've transfered my insurance from old car to new car and i am purely driving the car from the previous owner to my driveway and as long as i prove i then purchase back dated tax at the earliest possible time, i cant see an issue.

Unless you have a crash!

I think your insurance is invalidated if the car isn't taxed.

Not necessarily according to the good folks at the DVLA. My car is currently SORN, however it will need some work doing to it.

I called DVLA and asked them how can I get it from my mum's to the garage without breaking the law (and without towing it). They told me that as long as the vehicle is only going between the garage and my mum's, and that I have a documented pre-appointment with the garage then the car can be driven on the highway without breaking the law. However the car needs to have a valid MOT and be insured.

If I was you Adam, I'd call DVLA to check. Then get the name of the person you spoke to and a reference number if possible in case "Plod" do stop you.

little awkward loophole, if you have a friendly garage you can bribe, you borrow their red plates and if stopped say its being transported to be serviced by said garage. Not quite legal as on their plates you have to be named on the garages insurance policy.

Better than taking a straight risk as the dvla cameras are everywhere these days.

little awkward loophole, if you have a friendly garage you can bribe, you borrow their red plates and if stopped say its being transported to be serviced by said garage. Not quite legal as on their plates you have to be named on the garages insurance policy.

Better than taking a straight risk as the dvla cameras are everywhere these days.

I live next to a garage and the guy is my mate. Good tip!

DS is right. Your fucked insurance wise if you have not got a current MOT and valid tax.

The only leeway is when you are driving to and from the MOT centre, you are allowed to drive with no tax or MOT but the insurance must be valid.

You require road tax to validate your insurance, not MOT. I got pulled for no MOT at a routine check and they weren't all that bothered, just said get it done and drop it in the kop shop