You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gigs I have been to recently thread

Thants

Went to see Scott Ian from Anthrax last night in Manchester doing his Speaking Words tour. Very entertaining night' date=' 2 hour set, with an extra hour of Q&A.[/quote']

Just been to the Newcastle one tonight, wasn't really sure what to expect but it was really good. Over 3 hours in total and very entertaining.

The book he is doing will be brilliant I think.

Just been to the Newcastle one tonight, wasn't really sure what to expect but it was really good. Over 3 hours in total and very entertaining.

The book he is doing will be brilliant I think.

Yeh, had a great time too mate. 3 hours just flew by and I haven't laughed so much or so hard in ages.

Damn him for not taking my question though, although if at first you don't succeed...

Tweets

Carvalho Diablo ‏@CarvalhoDiablo 12m

@Scott_Ian Unanswered Cluny Question : Scott, who'd win a fight between a bear and a monkey with a knife ? #themightygf

7:43 PM - 5 Jun 13 · Details

I shall keep you abreast of developments...

With any luck he shall finally answer this question once and for all.

When he started off reading from his phone, we all looked at each other thinking what the fuck is this shit? Started getting panicky that it was going to turn into some arty shit before he broke off and into the rest of it.

Scott Ian talking was a far better night than Megadeth playing on Monday night.

With any luck he shall finally answer this question once and for all.

When he started off reading from his phone, we all looked at each other thinking what the fuck is this shit? Started getting panicky that it was going to turn into some arty shit before he broke off and into the rest of it.

Scott Ian talking was a far better night than Megadeth playing on Monday night.

We thought the same thing on Monday, some quizzical looks from the crowd. Great night though. I got to ask him "which song or riff did he wish he'd written", which got him a bit flustered, with lots of "fuck man, that's impossible", but he went for ACDC "Riff-Raff"

Went to see Steve Earle at the Phil on Friday, very good & the band were excellent but a bit disappointed that he eschewed quite a few of my favourites. With such an extensive back catalogue it's always likely to happen I suppose.

I couldn't get to this unfortunately

Was his Mrs with him ? Alison Moorer is superb and just love her stuff

I couldn't get to this unfortunately

Was his Mrs with him ? Alison Moorer is superb and just love her stuff

No, MR, no sign of Alison unfortunately.

The support act were a husband & wife team called ' The Mastersons ' and they both joined the main band later. The wife of the pair ( Eleanor Whitmore ) covered the bits that needed female vocals ( She was very good to be fair ).

Stone Roses in Finsbury Park last night...my favourite gig ever I think. Saw them at V last year but was too smashed to remember much past the opening of I Wanna Be Adored- last night was something else. Can't wait for the new material

Stone Roses in Finsbury Park last night...my favourite gig ever I think. Saw them at V last year but was too smashed to remember much past the opening of I Wanna Be Adored- last night was something else. Can't wait for the new material

Each to there own but how anybody can rate listening to that strangled cat Ian Brown sing as there best gig is truly amazing. Must have been the ale mate.

Each to there own but how anybody can rate listening to that strangled cat Ian Brown sing as there best gig is truly amazing. Must have been the ale mate.

Yeah, quite possibly. I'd never argue that he's a great singer, but the general atmosphere and quality of the other three made up for it. Really good day out, and the supports were good too.

Elvis Costello (and The Imposters) at the Philharmonic Hall played a great show as always on Monday night. The only low point was the pair of women who, out of the wide selection of songs they could have picked from the Spinning Songbook, requested 'She'.

Elvis Costello (and The Imposters) at the Philharmonic Hall played a great show as always on Monday night. The only low point was the pair of women who, out of the wide selection of songs they could have picked from the Spinning Songbook, requested 'She'.

Good to hear ' Suit Of Lights' & ' King Horse ' get dusted off.

Was messing with my mate saying that if I ended up on stage that I would demand something from that weird Hans Christian Andersen opera he brought out a few years ago.

Went to see The Who doing the classic album Quadrophenia and some classics as an encore at the Odyssey in Belfast great great show and for two guys pushing 70 still have that snarling attitude .

Only one thing could have been louder....but I guess might have damaged Pete and Roger's hearing aids.

Roll on to seeing them in Amsterdam.

Slayer last night in the Limelight, Belfast. Only 800 capacity so they were just in front of me. Yeah I know Hanneman's gone and Lombardo has left, but the 2 stand-ins done a great job. What a gig, wish I'd brought ear plugs because they are ringing badly.

[YOUTUBE]ET5hXnTTa9U[/YOUTUBE]

Slayer last night in the Limelight, Belfast. Only 800 capacity so they were just in front of me. Yeah I know Hanneman's gone and Lombardo has left, but the 2 stand-ins done a great job. What a gig, wish I'd brought ear plugs because they are ringing badly.

[YOUTUBE]ET5hXnTTa9U[/YOUTUBE]

Slayer will always be Slayer, and I saw their last 2 appearances without Jeff when Gary Holt was playing, and he was superb. Was Paul Bostoph on drums? Great drummer, but not in Lombardo's league.

Slayer won't be the same again for me.

Slayer will always be Slayer, and I saw their last 2 appearances without Jeff when Gary Holt was playing, and he was superb. Was Paul Bostoph on drums? Great drummer, but not in Lombardo's league.

Slayer won't be the same again for me.

I think Jon Dette (a lefty) was on drums ?

Dette recently stood in for Benante for Anthrax when I saw them with Motorhead last year, and he even played drums for Anthrax and Slayer in back to back sets in Australia last year !

Need some fuckin stamina for that.

Fantastic drummer.

I saw an amazing gig last week with about 10 others in Galway, Cara Luft a Canadian folk singer (with backup from a Liverpool lad, Scott Poley, an excellent multi-instrumentalist) she's touring the UK at the moment. Anyone into Folk/Bluegrass (she did play a class acoustic version of Led Zeppelins Black Water Side) should check her out.

Went to see Springsteen at Wembley last night. He did the whole of Darkness on the Edge of Town album plus rarities like Jackson Cage, Lost in the Flood, Save my Love and much else. Having brought the place to uproar with Twist and Shout, he stayed on at the end to do a solo acoustic Thunder Road, during which you could have heard a pin drop. Amazing showmanship. Roll on 30th June

Went to see Springsteen at Wembley last night. He did the whole of Darkness on the Edge of Town album plus rarities like Jackson Cage, Lost in the Flood, Save my Love and much else. Having brought the place to uproar with Twist and Shout, he stayed on at the end to do a solo acoustic Thunder Road, during which you could have heard a pin drop. Amazing showmanship. Roll on 30th June

Was there and agree. However I thought the sound was awful, echo everywhere around the stadium (we were at the back on seats then moved onto the pitch about 2/3rds away from the stage), also massive bass boom and high frequencies that made my ears hurt, at times I couldn't hear what song was being played. I'm absolutely not some audiophile fusspot. One guy on twitter said the sound was excellent and another had exactly the same issues. But I had a great time.

I cried a bit during Thunder road, have no idea why? Was just overcome with a emotion. Still hasn't sunk in that he played Darkness in full. I think that's my favourite Bruce gig so far but I probably say that after every boss gig.

Also had problem with the reverb/echo on Bruce's vocal, just drank more pissy Carlsberg to compensate. Going to Coventry Thursday, got my fingers crossed for Born in the USA

Boss was brilliant last night. Couldn't believe it when he said " Do you want me to carry on with requests or play Darkness on the Edge of Town?" didn't think he meant the whole album. My fav as well. Setlist was as good as I have ever had in over 20 gigs. Thought "Bobby Jean" was the pick of the encores

The only downer ,apart from the pissy beer at a fiver a chuck, was the poor sound quality. We were on the pitch and couldn't find a spot where it sounded good. In the end we were right at the back as it was a little better there. Did anyone else think the same ?