You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Murdoch's Scum Credentials All In Order I See

Anubis

I don't think there's an obvious successor at the moment plus Cameron is key to keeping the coalition alive (god knows how he manages to keep the Lib Dems happy & let them take all the blame)

I don't reckon the tories fancy a minority government & the inevitable election just yet so he's probably safe but will need to eat a bit of humble pie

Rebekah on the news again. Swoon! I love a fiery redhead. The curls too......

Anyway, any articles of Dodgy Dave being called before the 1922 Committee? Can't see anything on the 'net.

It's not up officially on The Guardian website, but one of their journalists leaked it in the comments section of the blog at around 6.20pm mark.

Statement released by Harbottle & Lewis. Nothing needs to be added really.

News International representatives referred to our advice in their statements today before the Parliamentary Select Committee, both as a result of questioning and on their own account.

We asked News International to release us from our professional duties of confidentiality in order that we could respond to any inaccurate statements or contentions and to explain events in 2007.

News International declined that request, and so we are still unable to respond in any detail as to our advice or the scope of our instructions in 2007, which is a matter of great regret.

Except maybe this....

Blindingly obvious" evidence of corrupt payments to police officers were found by the former director of public prosecutions, Lord Macdonald, when he inspected News of the World emails, the Home Affairs select committee was told yesterday.

Explaining how he had been called in by solicitors acting for Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation board, Lord Macdonald said that when he inspected the messages it took him between "three to five minutes" to decide that the material had to be passed to the detectives.

"The material I saw was so blindingly obvious that trying to argue that it should not be given to the police would have been a hard task. It was evidence of serious criminal offences.

He first showed it to the News Corp board in June this year. "There was no dissent," he recalled. "They were stunned. They were shocked. I said it was my unequivocal advice that it should be handed to the police. They accepted that."

That board meeting, the former DPP said, was chaired by Rupert Murdoch. Lord Macdonald shortly afterwards gave the material to Assistant Commissioner Cressida Dick at the Metropolitan Police.

The nine or ten emails passed over led to the launch of Operation Elveden, the police investigation into corrupt payments to officers for information.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If there was an election tomorrow it'd be a hung parliament again.

Maybe, although I doubt it. However, there'd likely be a significant enough difference to make a Labour and Liberal alliance a possibility.

Haven't loads of LulzSec been arrested?

No, they arrested some from Anon which is where the lulzsec people came from. The ones they arrested today in the US was the ones that alledgedly hacked paypal. No idea whether it is them.

As a matter of interest, what's the legal position of someone who can be shown to have lied to a select committee?
Contempt of Parliament and possibly , confinement at the Parliament's pleasure. Life sentence if Parliament so chooses.

From the little I've seen of their appearance before the Committee, no politician will have the guts to do it.

Contempt of Parliament and possibly , confinement at the Parliament's pleasure. Life sentence if Parliament so chooses.

From the little I've seen of their appearance before the Committee, no politician will have the guts to do it.

Considering no-one in that committee even had the guts to follow up on a question, I suspect you are right.

Maybe, although I doubt it. However, there'd likely be a significant enough difference to make a Labour and Liberal alliance a possibility.

Do you seriously think that Labour would countenance a Lib-Lab pact? I think Milliband would rather boil his own head. The country would never forgive them. Labour would scavenge around the periphery, pulling the reluctant bedfellows and opportunistic loonies in to sneak a majority. The Libs will be marginalised almost to extinction as a parliamentary party anyway, if an election was called anytime in the next 12 months.

Do you seriously think that Labour would countenance a Lib-Lab pact? I think Milliband would rather boil his own head. The country would never forgive them. Labour would scavenge around the periphery, pulling the reluctant bedfellows and opportunistic loonies in to sneak a majority. The Libs will be marginalised almost to extinction as a parliamentary party anyway, if an election was called anytime in the next 12 months.

The libs wouldn't get enough seats to make a coalition with Labour work.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Do you seriously think that Labour would countenance a Lib-Lab pact?

I said I doubted whether it would be needed, but yes, I do if that was the only choice.

Still not convinced that the Tories are 'underperforming'. They seem to be a doing a really good job, particularly if you are David Cameron.

Lets face it, he wants this to stop at this point before it goes any further.

I hope Louise Bagshaw doesn't have a go, she just looks like a clueless spunk sponge.

Louise Mensch - she's finally admitted to her own children that she got married in secret

I can't believe people would shag this bint!

Sycophantic little shit, basically offered Smithers a platform to rant about other newspapers actions. But basically this is what you come to expect from a person who orginally supported Labour then became a Tory MP!

The problem with this process was that it was two, slimy, obvioulsy prepped by PR and legal, businessmen used to operating within boardrooms and offering broad statements to investors, employees being asked questions by amateurs who normally spend their time writing novels for fat single women.

It was like watching a qualifier play a seed at Wimbledon.

I think people are dreaming if they think this is really going to impact on Cameron or the Tories long-term.

If Blair can survive dodgy dossiers, David Kelly and an illegal war I think Cameron can survive having stupidly employed Coulsen - especially bearing in mind that almost all of the illegal actions and the cover-up took place under Blair/Brown when they were cosy with the Murdochs.

If it wasn't for the Milly Dowler angle the vast majority of the electorate wouldn't give a fuck about this Westminster Village story of he said/she said.