You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lucas Leiva - Next season's shock

Hyppia 4

Shhhh you can't say he's done something good.

As I've said before his vision and movement is top quality. He just needs to bulk up a bit and get a chance. I'm hoping he stays the understudy to our other midfielders this season but get a few more chances.

Jesus mate, you honestly think his movement and vision is top quality? Now i could understand if you thought he was a decent or even good player, i think you would be wrong but i would respect your opinion, but top quality??? A bridge too far that mate.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on Ted thats a bit over the top, eh? I'm not saying thats the only good thing he has done for us, but it was certainly the best example of what he is capable of. He isn't living off of one pass, he is living off of the belief that the manager and his team-mates, who train with him every day, have in him. If there was a feeling in the squad that he wasn't good enough, he wouldn't be here.

Jesus mate, you honestly think his movement and vision is top quality? Now i could understand if you thought he was a decent or even good player, i think you would be wrong but i would respect your opinion, but top quality??? A bridge too far that mate.

I'm not talking Kaka, top quality as in good premiership standard. The rest of his game needs improving but I believe he'll come good.

I think his by far greatest weakness is his tendency to turn off. There was a great example in the last game against Spurs - I think it was that game - where he failed to track his runner when they were counter attacking. He was literally jogging back from the half way line. Luckily the Spurs player fucked up a great chance when the ball was cut back to him from the byline, but it was so fucking infuriating to watch Lucas's lack of aggression/passion.

That's his big flaw in my opinion as I think he is actually pretty tidy - if too conservative - on the ball. He does the simple passing very well which is important in keeping the flow of our play up.

And to the 'he's shite' brigade, I would like to remind you that he has played in some of our finest away victories in the last couple of years - Inter and Mancs - so he's hardly as bad as you make him out to be.

You might want to read this thread and then you will gather why it would be a shock.

not really once someone is labeled shite you get everyone jumping on a bandwagon even if they have a few decent games i mean its not like he's a regular is it never gonna be a starter with our midfeld

He's nowhere near as bad as made out, but he's still a long way from competing with Alonso and Mascherano for a place.

He plays the kind of football your average dipshit doesn't notice or appreciate. I don't think we should sell him as there's still a decent chance he can make the leap and give us a £10-15m midfielder.

His through pass to Gerrard at St James' was fucking sublime. It reminded me of the 3rd goal against us in Istanbul. The boy has talent, I wont accept anyone saying otherwise. I really hope he manages to step up his game and challenge the likes of Mascherano and Alonso (god willing) for a starting place.

And momo scored a cracker against sunderland. I'm not sayin Lucas is destined to be a failure, I agree that he will improve next year but one pass doesn't prove that he's a top quality player. Let's face it - Newcastle were a defensive mess that day (as well as most days, I suppose). I hope he does fulfill his potential but I wouldn't use a single pass over the course of two seasons as evidence of his guaranteed success.

I disagree. I think Lucas' mentality is solid. I think that's the best part of him is his effort and the way he responded to the fan's criticism

If the support boo'd Ryan Babel... I mean Babel would probably just leave and not come back.

Lucas definitely needs to build up a bit more physical strength, but I think he'll improve this year, for sure... I just don't think he's good enough to be third string in a title chasing team. However, I think he's not as bad as Anderson so that's a bonus.

I agree with that, but still don't agree that he has sufficient belief to impose himself on a game. He still needs to add that if he does Benitez will stick with him because he's shown like Kuyt that he's prepared to do the unglamorous things that need doing for the team to excel.

Until he learns that every team isn't Newcastle and they're not gonna give him all day to pick passes then he'll never make it. He's had two years and countless games to grasp that and yet he looks like he'll never do it. Just get what we can for him.

only time will tell if he will come good... one things for certain... he definitely has the potential there.... you dont get to become captain of the Brazilian youth team otherwise....

maybe it was the style of the premiership or the style of our play... or maybe it was the language or the culture and he just found it hard to adapt for a while... who knows....

only time will tell if he will come good... would just love it if he turned into an indispensable member of this team

I'll be really disappointed if he's in the eighteen to play Spurs. He is awful. Unlike most players, he's actually regressed since joining us. The player of his first six months here is vastly different to the one who cost us the F.A cup and , arguably the League too, was consistantly our worst performer.

He's a centre midfielder with very little heart. He does work to the levels that Rafa demands but he posses neither the balls nor the talent a top CM, or even a good midfielder should. He is the Brazilian Jenas and if we're in a position to get our money back this summer, we almost certainly should.