You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Youth Cup final tomorrow

aws

Real pity that game. I think we showed today that the gap between us and them is a lot narrower than 6-2 made it look. BUT

The lads were let down badly by some frankly absurd tactics. Ince did fuck all for two games, both games were won and lost in midfield and he did nothing to help. He needed to be taken out of there yet somehow Kaca is the one subb'd. WTF.

And Kennedy what a joke. Anyone who has watched the academy games knows isolate him one on one and you can have as many shots as you want. Yet for some reason, sentimentality I'm sure they were both indulged.

If the team had been setup right, these would have been an entirely different two games.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it wasn't it was a shithouse elbow.

Should have been a red.

Mcauley should be sacked for leaving the left back on for so long, and taking Kakaniclic off, only forgetting to tell him so we came out with 12 men.

I'd feel like slapping the fucking weapon as well lad.

Yea it was a bit over the top but its not like he tried to break his leg, Gerrard made ten times worse takles when he was younger then learnt to chanel the aggression. I cant believe he took kakaniclic off AGAIN though, at what point was he planning on letting the defence know that Valle is about 5'6 and theyre firing balls up to him, fucking infuriating. The whole set up needs sorting in the summer, it was like boys against men at times.

Yea it was a bit over the top but its not like he tried to break his leg, Gerrard made ten times worse takles when he was younger then learnt to chanel the aggression. I cant believe he took kakaniclic off AGAIN though, at what point was he planning on letting the defence know that Valle is about 5'6 and theyre firing balls up to him, fucking infuriating. The whole set up needs sorting in the summer, it was like boys against men at times.

Indeed.

Someone mentioned coaching, I've seen precious little evidence of that on Liverpool's part over these two legs.

I have to say I'm really rather angry about these last two matches. Surprised really.

There was a bit more cohesion on our part tonight. Perhaps Arsenal took their foot off the gas after getting the 5-1 aggregate lead, but the team movement in general was a lot better.

Surprised that Kacaniklic was removed (so was he by the looks of it!) at half-time. I would have replaced Robinson with Buchtmann, and pushed Ince into midfield, allowing Eccleston to partner Dalla Valle. Not accusing Robinson of anything, but Ayala and Kennedy would have benefitted from operating in the usual back four with Buchtmann back there. This is where McAuley's tactics have really backfired over the 2 legs. He has played a young inexperienced full back in a game where nerves would play a major part.

Ayala was unlucky with the own goal. This appears to have been the theme at the club below first-team level, as evidenced by Darby against Ajax.

These players will no doubt learn from the experience, and those that are moving on will at least have benefitted from playing in a major youth final.

There's always next year.

Oh well, we just weren't as good as them tonight.

Amoo MOTM for me.

Thought the attendance was poor at Anfield. Not surprising though at £10 an adult ticket.

Buchtman for me, only cos he managed to get at Arsenal's midfield and not let them completely overrun us.

Having said that Kakaniclic probably did more in 45 minutes than most of the rest did in 90.

Felt very sorry for Jack Robinson.

Yea, Butchmann had a good game too. Really hope we can keep onto him and get him moved up to the reserves quickly. I won't hold my breath, though.

Just thought that Amoo was very lively in the second half and didn't think we used him enough in the first half. In fact, at half time I was stuggling to remember Amoo getting one run down the line.

It's not the first time I've said it but McAuley is a joke. IMO this team is definitely better in terms of individuals than the one who did the double a couple of years ago. Only difference is that Heighway had them playing as a team, McAuley doesn't.

Oh well, we just weren't as good as them tonight.

Amoo MOTM for me.

Thought the attendance was poor at Anfield. Not surprising though at £10 an adult ticket.

Totally agree with you there mate, was expecting much more. The price was a bit stupid you're right, £7 I think would have been good.

Amoo MOTM too, just wish he got on the ball more in the first half but or central midfielders just couldn't get hold of the ball and get it to him at all.

Sat in the Kop tonight fella's and it was like watching men versus boys, Arsenal played beautiful flowing football, were stronger, quicker, bigger than our lads and thoroughly deserved it. However, Amoo and Butchmann had decent games, specially Amoo in the second half and me and my mate actually made up a chant about him:

(to the theme of the adams family)

David Amoo clap clap David Amoo clap clap David Amoo, David Amoo, David Amoo clap clap

Also a mention has to go to Lauri Dalla Valle worked so hard and got his reward in the end.

Thought big Joe had a good game tonight. Unlike Ayala who was diving into every tackle and not winning anything.

Both were as bad as each other in my opinion. Ayala should of been sent off. Although Kennedy did make a couple of good last ditch tackles and blocks, but as my mate aptly said its because he was that fat, the ball couldn't go round him.

Is there a problem with fitness at the academy? I know they were chasing Arsenal but they looked totally spent, especially in the first leg.

Irwin looked very unfit to be honest. Ditto Joe Kennedy.

Joe Kennedy ate all the pies in the stadium, i couldn't get one at half time cause of him!

I think Kennedy is a very good defender, his lack of mobility is the problem. Especially alongside Ayala who is slow enough when he is fit, but struggling with injury makes it even worse.

Big Joe alongside Andre Wisdom would work well, as Andre has the physical strength that Ayala lacks, and most importantly, the PACE, which would not leave Kennedy looking so exposed.

Good luck to him when he leaves in the summer though, as he is never going to get a chance here.

On the night, Arsenal were just the better side. Thought Irwin, Kennedy, Butchmann, Amoo, Kacalicknic and Dalla Valle all played well. We really missed Pepper's creativity in the middle, and had he been fit, and Ayala been fully fit, I think this would have been a much closer tie on the whole. Hats off to Arsenal though, we were beaten by the better team. The size of their captain was ridiculous!!!

I think Kennedy is a very good defender, his lack of mobility is the problem. Especially alongside Ayala who is slow enough when he is fit, but struggling with injury makes it even worse.

Big Joe alongside Andre Wisdom would work well, as Andre has the physical strength that Ayala lacks, and most importantly, the PACE, which would not leave Kennedy looking so exposed.

Good luck to him when he leaves in the summer though, as he is never going to get a chance here.

The thing with Wisdom though, and I'm not sure if it's something you can change is that he can't change direction quickly. Once or twice in the first half the Arsenal lads just bombed past him and left him standing by the time his body reacted they were well away.

Potentially dangerous as a defender in the last third.