You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep! They are deliberately targetting us as they see us as the 'weak link' in the top four.

We should tell them we're close to landing Zlatan for £200m...

We should say we're in the market for Paul McShane for £15m.

We should say we're in the market for Paul McShane for £15m.

Jokes aside we all know what a great mastermind Rafa is and how big his network and research is on his transfer targets......so one could see this situation in one of two ways.

1) There is a leak in the Liverpool camp and some one is feeding our targets to Man City. There just too many to think as coincidences. Every target we have been linked to, Man City have beaten us to the punch and bid more money and offered more wages. Rafa has no clue whats going on.

2) There are two transfers lists. One be it a smokescreen and the other the real targets. Rafa knows that everyone expected Barry to sign but still didnt put up a fight when Man City came knocking. I dont think that Rafa wanted Barry all along but still wants his real transfer targets kept away from the public eye so he fakes interests in various players to keep the others guessing.

I prefer to think that Rafa is a master politician and always thinks two moves ahead unlike the rest of the managers in the Premier League. Much like a chess player that already knows his opponents move before his opponent even knows it.

Or am I just gving him too much credit?

Time will tell.....

I would love to see Crouch back.

Think we missed a 'plan b' last season and Crouch can provide that. He's English, so that helps wih the quota. Plus he can play with Torres (see the Arsenal Champs League game when they were great together) or instead of him.

If it is for 4 million (which I don't understand why it would be that cheap) and Crouch was happy with a part-part role... it's a no brainer for me!

"Vicente Silva, the third largest shareholder at the club, will take over as temporary president and the team's future plans will be discussed at a meeting on Sunday."

from goal.com

So that means that any Silva deal will probably be on hold until then. What a bastard this is. The guy who left knows how to pick a good time doesn't he? I'm pissed off aswell now, fucking stupid window.

Rafa should've just put Silva in a bag and flown back over here with it.

He's not that lightweight.

Johnson: Why I¿m right back in love with football | Mail Online

Ironically, Chelsea have registered an interest, along with moneybags Manchester City, although a move to cash-strapped Liverpool is looking increasingly remote.

Portsmouth have yet to accept an offer from any of their Barclays Premier League rivals, but Johnson has a gentleman’s agreement with executive director Peter Storrie that he can leave if their valuation is matched.

‘It will be a dilemma if a top club comes in for me,’ he admitted, ‘but at the moment I haven’t got that decision to make.

'No-one has spoken to me and nothing’s been said.’

article-0-052B50EF000005DC-616_468x639.jpg

Voronin is better than Campbell.

He's not. I know Campbell has been a Manc and that might be why you're saying that, but he just isn't. I think Hertha would almost certainly be in the CL now if they'd had Campbell instead too.

£6M for a young player who is unproven in the premiership is a huge gamble for Hull.

Nah, he helped put City into the Premier league in the firstplace, and if regular games get his confidence going he should be fine. And if he adjusts to the PL enough and Hull get their defence sorted out more they might stay up next season.

I don't think Johnson is worth what we'd have to pay for him.

I agree - for the money Portsmouth are wanting us to pay (£8 - £12mil) i don't think he's worth it. When looking at him as a player i see a very fast RB and nothing much more. His defensive abilities are inconsistent and apart from his long range shots his attacking/crossing abilities are nothing special. He is a raw talent but it would be a gamble to spend our transfer budget on him (that's if we actually have one).

I agree - for the money Portsmouth are wanting us to pay (£8 - £12mil) i don't think he's worth it. When looking at him as a player i see a very fast RB and nothing much more. His defensive abilities are inconsistent and apart from his long range shots his attacking/crossing abilities are nothing special. He is a raw talent but it would be a gamble to spend our transfer budget on him (that's if we actually have one).

It doesn't matter if he's not worth it. That's his value and if we want him, that's how much he's gonna cost.

It's things like that, that really fuck me off. We're a big club and we always think (including our fans) that we shouldn't have to overpay what a players actual value is.

Others big clubs have always done, so why do we think we don't have to? Is Silva worth £17m? Of course he's not.

We've missed out on so many players because of this and then have to settle for second rate shite, who are more times than not are sold the season after for a lot less than we paid.

It doesn't matter if he's not worth it. That's his value and if we want him, that's how much he's gonna cost.

It's things like that, that really fuck me off. We're a big club and we always think (including our fans) that we shouldn't have to overpay what a players actual value is.

Others big clubs have always done, so why do we think we don't have to? Is Silva worth £17m? Of course he's not.

We've missed out on so many players because of this and then have to settle for second rate shite, who are more times than not are sold the season after for a lot less than we paid.

I agree that we have to pay over the top for players and its like that for every team. But due to the two tits who own this club can't control their finances I don't think we should spend our transfer budget on Johnson. Surely there are better right backs than Johnson for the same price! We need world class players not just good/compitent players and that's what i think Johnson is- nothing special.

Wouldn't be surprised if Man City made a move for Glen Johnson. Daily Mail seem to think Micah Richards is up for sale for as little as £6m. I don't really like Richards but for £6m he'd provide great cover at CB/RB. Doubt if he'd be that cheap though.

Anyone heard anything about Keirison? I still think we might be interested in him.

Campbell is shite. He's quick, but that's it. If he was any use at all Harry wouldn't have been so desperate to get Keane back. The lad Ebanks-Blake at Wolves is a better player.

Arry hasn't given him the time on the pitch to get used to playing though. At City he should get that time and will maybe turn into a genuinely top class player. Anyway there's nothing I can say to convince anyone, we'll just have to see what he does next season I suppose. Then if he ends up being shit I'll hold my hands up.

LIVERPOOL have a new striker target – Lazio’s Goran Pandev.

Kop boss Rafa Benitez is determined to boost his squad despite the club’s financial problems.

The Macedonian, 25, is valued at £15million but will be out of contract in a year’s time.

Chelsea and Tottenham are among the other interested clubs.

Daily Express | Sport | Football

Kop boss Rafa Benitez is determined to boost his squad despite the club’s financial problems.

The Macedonian, 25, is valued at £15million but will be out of contract in a year’s time.

Just checked his wiki page and found out that he's number 19 for Lazio, hahah.

And to save some of you searching youtube :

[YOUTUBE]MR0WownFJYw[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Red Phoenix

I'd love Richards. Under the right boss he'd flourish.

United are now sniffing around Kyle Naughton, I've been banging on about him but you could get him for £5m and he's got the potential to be better than Johnson in my opinion.

I had free tickets to Sheffield Utd (lucky me) towards the end of the season and I had never heard of him, but he was the standout player, superb prospect - pace, crossing, passing, positional sense were all there to see, seemed very comfortable on several positions he ended up playing on the pitch, would love to see him at Liverpool

how long till city are interested in him?