You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With recent developments, I wouldn't be totally shocked with a deal for Downing. I'd expect it to be in January though seeing as he's ruled out for around 6 months.

£12m for him though is a fucking lot of money? Daylight robbery. Think he averages a goal every 11 games for Boro.

Didn't do jack shit to help save Boro this season and didn't even manage a single goal. Much rather have Tuncay of them if we can get him cheap.

£12m for him though is a fucking lot of money? Daylight robbery. Think he averages a goal every 11 games for Boro.

Didn't do jack shit to help save Boro this season and didn't even manage a single goal. Much rather have Tuncay of them if we can get him cheap.

I don't think he's a great player either to be fair but I do know he's on the listof potential signings, and before his injury was told that if the Barry deal fell through he was the next option.

How much that has changed since the injury though, I don't know. I'll find out some more before too long.

Funny scenario: Imagine us swooping for Downing and Adam Johnson. I'm sure boro would be pleased.

We'd probably not have to swoop for them, they'd probably fucking throw the pair of them up to us as we went past and then hold their arms out wide to catch the bags of cash.

Liverpool boss Benitez faces an uphill struggle to keep Mascherano out of Barca's clutches | Mail Online

Liverpool boss Benitez faces an uphill struggle to keep Mascherano out of Barca's clutches

by JOHN EDWARDS

Rafa Benitez is struggling to hang on to unsettled midfielder Javier Mascherano in a new blow that further compounds the financial crisis engulfing Anfield.

Already reeling from mounting debts that are hampering plans for strengthening his

Liverpool squad, Benitez is now facing an uphill struggle to keep Mascherano from

Barcelona’s clutches.

The Argentina skipper’s wife, who is currently back home in South America, has struggled to settle on Merseyside. And Mascherano feels he has fallen behind others on pay after a recent round of rises at Anfield.

Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola has discussed a £22million move for Mascherano, 25 on Monday. As Benitez braces himself for another raid on his Liverpool squad in the wake of Real Madrid’s £20m bid for Xabi Alonso, he can

only hope takeover talks involving Indian company GMR come to fruition and rescue

his transfer strategy.

With Gareth Barry lost to Manchester City and Valencia winger David Silva reportedlyin talks with Real Madrid, he appears to be relying on beating Chelsea to Portsmouth right back Glen Johnson for any sort of significant breakthrough.

Even then, a £15m-plus asking price would wipe out his budget, unless GMR, who hold the franchise for the Delhi Daredevils cricket team in the Indian Premier League, buy out co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

They may be in for some hard bargaining, though, after the under-fire Americans

adopted a defiant stance over claims from the club’s auditors that there was

‘significant doubt’ over the ability of parent company Kop Football (Holdings) Ltd to

continue as a going concern.

Hicks and Gillett dismissed the warning, as ‘accountancy speak’ and insisted that,

even with a £77m increase to £359m, Liverpool’s level of debt was lower than the rest of the Barclays Premier League’s top four.

They reiterated their determination not only to meet a July 24 deadline for refinancing but to push through plans for a 73,000- capacity stadium at nearby Stanley Park.

I know not many on here rate him but with Spurs reportedly in for Ashley Young I think we're going in for the wrong English winger by going after Downing. I'd take Young over Silva if we could finance the deal, which seems unlikely but I think Young would make a significant improvement to the squad

I know not many on here rate him but with Spurs reportedly in for Ashley Young I think we're going in for the wrong English winger by going after Downing. I'd take Young over Silva if we could finance the deal, which seems unlikely but I think Young would make a significant improvement to the squad

Ashley Young would be a great signing, but he would probably be valued at £25m which would be out of our price range.

The likes of Arda Turan, Ibrahim Afellay, Juan Mata and Luis Suarez may be cheaper alternatives to David Silva if he goes to Real Madrid.

Ashley Young would be a great signing, but he would probably be valued at £25m which would be out of our price range.

The likes of Arda Turan, Ibrahim Afellay, Juan Mata and Luis Suarez may be cheaper alternatives to David Silva if he goes to Real Madrid.

They reckon £10m and Bentley in the papers today. Nothing like £25m but expensive none the less. But we have to sign some Enylish players and we know Young is ready for the next step.

No disrespect stevieH but Affelay, Suarez and Turan are massive £10m gambles and Mata would cost not much less than Silva (he's a Spanish equivalent to Young). The two playing in Holland are very patchy players and if you've seen Turan play more than against us then you've got too much time on your hands! Mata is a great shout but would he come here? If he did leave top Spanish teams would be in for him

If Young could be got for £10m and Babel let's say then we would have sorted the left wing for 10 years

They reckon £10m and Bentley in the papers today. Nothing like £25m but expensive none the less. But we have to sign some Enylish players and we know Young is ready for the next step.

No disrespect stevieH but Affelay, Suarez and Turan are massive £10m gambles and Mata would cost not much less than Silva (he's a Spanish equivalent to Young). The two playing in Holland are very patchy players and if you've seen Turan play more than against us then you've got too much time on your hands! Mata is a great shout but would he come here? If he did leave top Spanish teams would be in for him

Of Young could be got for £10m and Babel let's say then we would have sorted the left wing for 10 years

There is no chance that Aston Villa will accept £10m + Bentley.

I agree that we need more English players to boost our quota of homegrown players for the Champions League campaign.

Unfortunately, our current financial situation dictates that we may have to take a gamble on players who fall below the level of a David Silva as we cannot afford to get into a biding war for players valued in the £20-25m bracket.

Atlético | Interé por dos futbolistas 'reds' : El Atlético ya habla con el Liverpool por Benayoun y Arbeloa - AS.com

Arbeloa is wanted by (and according to some stories wants to join) Atletico - they are also seriously thinking of bidding for Benayoun.

It's sale time!!

Was watching Atletico a few back and was thinking they need a right back, £10m and i'd sell him and get Johnson.

Wasn't it if the deal for Albert failed? That was my recollection of it. Dave U seemed to know the score.

I'm talking about this summer, mate. Last summer it was either Riera or Downing and Rafa went with Riera because of the price that 'Boro were asking for Downing.