You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Fucking shit, just got out of bed and caught up with the thread.

I do know about the boycott real red and wouldn't go near buying a paper, but didn't think about how much it extended to quickly checking something on their shitty website too when I went on there earlier. Mainly because after not much sleep last night and still getting my head together from being wasted most of last week I was probably just absent minded, then that Tevez 50mil story just made me check.

Now though, no matter what anyone says from the S*n about anything regarding transfers or anything else, there's no way I'll touch the shitty site. Sorry again to all anyway, and anyone else who thinks I need telling/explaining/anything at all, thanks but I don't. I already feel like I've directly disrespected the 96 and nothing anyone says could be worse anyway.

I'll set out to make up for this in someway too. It won't be anything huge but I will try and do something and then keep it to myself as I don't want any of you saying good gesture etc, when I've already fucked up before I did it. As long as the 96 know when I've done it that'll be easily good enough.

Fuck do I like digging holes for myself sometimes, worst habit I have that needs to be broken sharpish. Hopefully some of you guys can take this to pm's anyway if you're still arguing stuff, so this thread gets back on track.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tevez, Barry and Henry with the emphasis on the numbers 19 and 6.

I would buy:

Daniel Sturridge

David Silva

Aaron Lennon

Javi Martinez

Micah Richards/Glen Johnson (depending on value)

Sell:

Babel

Dossena

Alonso (seems likely)

I would give Buchtmann and Dalle Valle opportunities in the squad, especially cup games and cover on the bench in PL games. Spearing would get his chance.

you're wasting your time with that argument. it's a myth being pedalled round to try and cover up the way the manager acted last summer.

Why do you think anybody needs to cover up the behaviour of the manager last summer?

Rafa was right, Alonso had not performed at all the previous two seasons, hence why he has been so good this year, and more importantly why people are noticing how good he has been this year!

If people stopped getting excited about the 60 yards balls, perfectly executed when he has half an hour to set it up, they might have noticed a lot average performances from Alonso, injuries or not, it was a perfectly accepteable decision to look to replace him with Barry, and maybe if some fans took their heads out of their condescending arses once in a while they might accept that!

however I get the impression most would rather wear their 'Alonso is god' badges as a sign of superiority!

some would say.

Redrosetints. Alonso doesn't and has never wanted to leave.

you're wasting your time with that argument. it's a myth being pedalled round to try and cover up the way the manager acted last summer.

its not, several people on here suggested HE wanted to leave. It may not be true, but thats a different story. This was last March April time. Check the old threads, Im pretty sure Brownie had it on 'good authority' that Xabi wanted to go.

Ian ?

Why do you think anybody needs to cover up the behaviour of the manager last summer?

Rafa was right, Alonso had not performed at all the previous two seasons, hence why he has been so good this year, and more importantly why people are noticing how good he has been this year!

If people stopped getting excited about the 60 yards balls, perfectly executed when he has half an hour to set it up, they might have noticed a lot average performances from Alonso, injuries or not, it was a perfectly accepteable decision to look to replace him with Barry, and maybe if some fans took their heads out of their condescending arses once in a while they might accept that!

however I get the impression most would rather wear their 'Alonso is god' badges as a sign of superiority!

some would say.

I agree with the general point you are making, but why do you hve to be a complete bellend about it?

I agree with the general point you are making, but why do you hve to be a complete bellend about it?

Well it wasn't my intention!

Sorry if it comes across like that!

fucking hell Ill shut up from now on then.....

Not according to Brownie here; now Ian has been wrong before, I think, but its not as balck and white as people make out. This thread is from April last year, with many suggesting Xabi was a good player, but not up to it.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/60459-its-barry.html#post1104061

Not according to Brownie here; now Ian has been wrong before, I think, but its not as balck and white as people make out. This thread is from April last year, with many suggesting Xabi was a good player, but not up to it.

http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/60459-its-barry.html#post1104061

You're getting confused there though; he wanted to leave at that point because of the way he'd been treated.

He didn't actually want to leave before the saga started. There's a difference between the two.

He was more than happy to stay at the club but when told that Rafa was trying to engineer a move he was more than happy to go.

EDIT - It's the same now; he doesn't want to go anywhere but if Rafa starts trying to flog him around Europe then he'll go.

You're getting confused there though; he wanted to leave at that point because of the way he'd been treated.

He didn't actually want to leave before the saga started. There's a difference between the two.

He was more than happy to stay at the club but when told that Rafa was trying to engineer a move he was more than happy to go.

EDIT - It's the same now; he doesn't want to go anywhere but if Rafa starts trying to flog him around Europe then he'll go.

Ah ok. Fair enough, cleared that up.

No, because some people described him as 'slow', 'immobile', 'not good enough', 'ineffective', etc...

He is pretty slow, he's not the most mobile, he hadn't been good enough and hadn't been very effective for the previous two seasons. I don't see much wrong with those comments.

Obviously in hindsight, he's been brilliant this season. But nobody could have known that when they made those comments.

No, because some people described him as 'slow', 'immobile', 'not good enough', 'ineffective', etc...

Quite interesting looking back at the thread: I doubt one would get such a divided response this summer! To be fair, this year DOES confirm that Xabi had been massively off form for at least two seasons.

And isn't it nice looking over a thread, seeing Rashid's name with the definitive 'BANNED' underneath!! Happy days...

He is pretty slow, he's not the most mobile, he hadn't been good enough and hadn't been very effective for the previous two seasons. I don't see much wrong with those comments.

Obviously in hindsight, he's been brilliant this season. But nobody could have known that when they made those comments.

Obviously a few of us could see that all of that stuff was a myth and once he was properly fit and sharp again he would excel (not that he hadn't been playing well anyway).

I'm really not interested in getting into it again.

Clearly Xabi was not at his current peak over the last two campaigns prior to this one, but the reasons for that have been mentioned loads of times and none are his fault in my view (injury, lack of wide options and, last season at least, being asked to play deeper than Mascherano); nor does the lesser form equate to bad form, either. Whenever these two seasons of being shit are touted, no-one ever seems able to name the appalling performances. There's no need to polarise an argument simply to "win" it.

It's clear Xabi's best seasons were his first and most recent, but that doesn't make everything in between shit - nor does it make it his fault, either. Was Gerrard shit when he was playing centre mid and not getting over twenty goals a season? It seems like the same twisted thinking to me.

Hmmmm, interesting:

LIVERPOOL NEWS

Benitez: Liverpool may break transfer record

May 20, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Rafael Benitez has said he may well break the club's transfer record again this summer. In the last two summers, the Liverpool boss has spent £20m-plus on first Fernando Torres and then Robbie Keane.

GettyImages

Rafa Benitez: Plotting his summer raids.

And although Benitez is believed to have been given only £20m by the club's American owners for a transfer spree - any more will have to come from sales - the Spaniard is planning purchases at both ends of the financial scale.

Linked again with Carlos Tevez this week - a move that has been talked about at Anfield now for some while - the club say they have not made a bid to the players' third party owners.

But Benitez is known to be keen to pair Tevez again with his compatriot Javier Mascherano, the Argentina stars joining West Ham together back in August 2006.

However, he said: ''We may well break our transfer record, but certainly not Manchester United's. But it does not matter about the prices, it is doing the right thing and finding the right players.''

But having all but assured themselves of runners-up spot in the Premier League now behind champions Manchester United, Benitez knows he has to work carefully in the transfer market this summer to maximise the funds he has been given, or can generate.

He said: ''The next step is to overcome Manchester United, and that is the hardest. It does all come down to the money they have been able to spend, that is the difference.

''If we want to reduce this gap we have to be really good in the transfer market this summer. That can be the difference between winning the two or three extra points that we would need to win the title.

''We do not have that sort of money, so we have to be cute and clever in the market. Then it does not matter if you have money or not.

''When you have a lot of money it is easier because nobody notices your mistakes. For us it is important to find good targets to buy and make ourselves successful.

''We have learned a lot about our squad this season, we know each player that little bit better and it means we can improve for next season.''

He added: ''The fact that we have won nine of our last 10 games and not won the title just shows the high level of the Premier League.

''This season we have managed very good performances against the top sides, something we had not been doing before and now we have to improve a little bit more.

''We have 83 points and that would have been enough to win the title on six other occasions since the Premier League started. I can only underline that I am pleased and proud of my team to have gone this close.''

Benitez has started to generate cash from his squad by agreeing a £1m fee for defender Jack Hobbs to stay at Leicester, where he has helped them to promotion from League One. Winger Paul Anderson will also join Swansea for a fee of around £750,000.

Xabi Alonso is being linked with a £22m move to Real Madrid, while Ryan Babel could also be sold. Striker Andriy Voronin is also expected to be moved on.

The myth that Xabi was shit for two seasons needs to end, he may not have been as good as his debut season but that was a lot to live up to.

The two average seasons plus the couple of differences of opinions between him and his boss and Rafa decided if the price was right he would be sold, not a hanging offence.

In hindsight it would have been a horrendous decision but eh hindsight is great.