You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: Why I Back Lucas 100%

Lofts

Towards the end of the second half, I noticed that Carra intercepted the ball in defence and tried to proceed with making a pass out to the right to a free man. However, Lucas took the ball away from Carra and gave the ball away with a really shit pass. Carra was livid and rightly so. Lucas had a shocker today. His stupid free kicks that he keeps giving away are also a problem.

He wasn't on his own in the shocker stakes though.

I'm worried about Torres at the moment. Something just doesn't look right. I don't know what it is, but I'm just going to take the easy way out and put it down to a lack of match fitness.

I've said it before but I don't think we'll see the best of Torres again until next season. The guy had a busy year last year with us and Euro 2008. Subsequently he had a shortened pre-season and has since had quite a few injuries which have resulted in a lot of time on the sidelines. The thing he needs now is games but it will be a while until he hits top form. I think he'll run out of time this season and only after a rest and a full pre-season will he be the player of last year.

Ronaldo at United was much the same. He played all of last season and then through the summer and then missed pre-season with his ankle injury. When he came back he was nowhere near his usual level and it's only now that he's rediscovering his form, and he still hasn't hit the heights he did last season.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is fine you don't agree with me but "complete rubbish" ??

So, tell me, would you be happy if Rafa spunked £17m on two players with "potential" this summer? Or would you prefer him to spend that money on 1 proven player who will make a difference to our first team?

No, because this summer we need a right winger and a right back, we dont have first team options. And I agree they are the priority and yes I would rather we spent a good wedge on a consistent right side.

I don't know what we can do, I can only think of Ribbery who would cost 30 million! which means you are looking at someone with potential! or somone like Joaquin!

We bought Torres, Mascherano and wanted Heinze, they were first team players, and Babel and Lucas were for the future, you make it sound as though he looked at the team, ignored what was needed and spent 6 million on Lucas for the future! As I say, Alonso, Mash and Gerrard are first choice and Lucas was cover.

Who said Spearing would be boss? We just think he should be given a chance over a £6m yes a £6m player who is clearly not up to it.

And yes, whats wrong with Scouse players being given more time than other players? We are a scouse club after all.

Do you know what its called when you treat people differently just because of their race/country of origin?

You're a tool.

No, because this summer we need a right winger

you make it sound as though he looked at the team, ignored what was needed and spent 6 million on Lucas for the future!

We have been looking for a decent right winger for years! We have even been playing an out and out striker in that position for 2 seasons. So, did Rafa ignore this and spent £6m on Lucas instead?

I can atleast understand if people argue for Babel but I will never ever understand the reason why we bought Lucas. One of the kids could have been a cover for Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano - it doesn't have to be a reserve kid from Brazil.

This has been done to death though mate. So, we better leave it there.

We have been looking for a decent right winger for years! We have even been playing an out and out striker in that position for 2 seasons. So, did Rafa ignore this and spent £6m on Lucas instead?

I can atleast understand if people argue for Babel but I will never ever understand the reason why we bought Lucas. One of the kids could have been a cover for Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano - it doesn't have to be a reserve kid from Brazil.

This has been done to death though mate. So, we better leave it there.

Fair do's, by the way I am not saying he is the answer, I sound like a hypocrite but yesterday I realised he really isn't good enough, and I have stuck up for him all season, but neither is Spearing (not aimed at you) which means we are going to have to get some cover next year! and I am afraid it will be a 2-4 million pound journeyman or a young player with potential!!

Do you know what its called when you treat people differently just because of their race/country of origin?

Some would argue that's what Rafa is doin with Lucas/Plessis over the likes of Speo/Darby...

Well if they did they would be tools, Derby is a right back, for starters. Plessis was playing well last year and he got his chance, this year he has not improved and consequently he has not played. Aurelio played against Portsmouth instead of Plessis. Which should end any arguments regarding favouritism from Rafa, it won't of course, but it should.

Well if they did they would be tools, Derby is a right back, for starters. Plessis was playing well last year and he got his chance, this year he has not improved and consequently he has not played. Aurelio played against Portsmouth instead of Plessis. Which should end any arguments regarding favouritism from Rafa, it won't of course, but it should.

where does Lucas fit into your counter argument?

In the absence of Gerrard and Alonso you want Lucas to step up to the plate and drive the team on and be a worthy squad player otherwise what is the point of him being in the squad. He never seizes the opportunity to make a big impact on the game and without them two players alongside him we never seem to look strong when he is called upon to lead the way. He doesn't inspire confidence and should be moved on.

Its quite funny how suddenly we are desperate for more scouse players, I can remeber Matteo playing in Ged's first season and he was slaughtered left and right by Liverpool fans, it was once thought that Liverpool fans gave their own players a harder time than others!!

I must admit I quite like Lucas, stuck up for him but I dont think he is improving, as he has played more and more the same mistakes are there. However that doesn't disguise the fact that Liverpool fans have been a disgrace in the way they have treated him, the biggest noise from the Kop yesterday was when they booed his name!!!!

Matteo is Scottish.

Sorry to bring up RAWK again, but check out a poster over there called G14(nob)Jockey. It's hilarious stuff.

It's got to be Lucas's girlfriend or agent. He rates him above Gerrard, no shit.

I remember seeing this guy post the same on a betting forum throughout last season.

He's backed him so much that he's obviously far too proud to admit he's wrong. It's funny though.

I remember seeing this guy post the same on a betting forum throughout last season.

He's backed him so much that he's obviously far too proud to admit he's wrong. It's funny though.

It's bizarre. Got to be his hairdresser.

He really resents Gerrard, claiming he doesn't track back enough.

In the absence of Gerrard and Alonso you want Lucas to step up to the plate and drive the team on and be a worthy squad player otherwise what is the point of him being in the squad. He never seizes the opportunity to make a big impact on the game and without them two players alongside him we never seem to look strong when he is called upon to lead the way. He doesn't inspire confidence and should be moved on.

He is our 4th rated central midfield player , basically covering the other 3 for injuries ,suspensions & the odd rest. He to my mind is slightly better than Jay Spearing at this time although I am thrilled that Jay seems to have moved past the French 'Plug' into 5th position and onto the subs bench.

'We never seem to look as strong when he is asked to lead the way '.

He is only asked to lead the way when we are short of a guy who a lot of people feel is the best midfield player in the World & a guy who is an integral part of the best national midfield in the world . Is it therefore any surprise that we suffer in these circumstances & a young guy learning the game is not able to cover the gap on his own ?

As for inspiring confidence , I think it should be the other way round & the fans should be trying to give him a bit of support and confidence. As Dave mentioned in his report , Lucas was tidy yesterday and one of the better players , but the dickheads by me were almost orgasmic when he overhit that late pass & they could give full vent to their groaning and snide remarks.

Unless Rafa has decided Spearing is the answer for next season I can't see the point in selling Lucas or we would be back to squad signings of 'like for like' again.

He is our 4th rated central midfield player , basically covering the other 3 for injuries ,suspensions & the odd rest. He to my mind is slightly better than Jay Spearing at this time although I am thrilled that Jay seems to have moved past the French 'Plug' into 5th position and onto the subs bench.

'We never seem to look as strong when he is asked to lead the way '.

He is only asked to lead the way when we are short of a guy who a lot of people feel is the best midfield player in the World & a guy who is an integral part of the best national midfield in the world . Is it therefore any surprise that we suffer in these circumstances & a young guy learning the game is not able to cover the gap on his own ?

As for inspiring confidence , I think it should be the other way round & the fans should be trying to give him a bit of support and confidence. As Dave mentioned in his report , Lucas was tidy yesterday and one of the better players , but the dickheads by me were almost orgasmic when he overhit that late pass & they could give full vent to their groaning and snide remarks.

Unless Rafa has decided Spearing is the answer for next season I can't see the point in selling Lucas or we would be back to squad signings of 'like for like' again.

Thats a very good post. And I've mentioned the highlighted part many times, myself.