You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa: Why I Back Lucas 100%

Lofts

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you comparing the willingness to have a local lad, representing his local team, to that of racism?

I wonder how many forumites who are very pro local players playing for Liverpool were slagging off the UK workers in the North East who were angry about UK jobs going to foreigners...?

He is our 4th rated central midfield player , basically covering the other 3 for injuries ,suspensions & the odd rest. He to my mind is slightly better than Jay Spearing at this time although I am thrilled that Jay seems to have moved past the French 'Plug' into 5th position and onto the subs bench.

'We never seem to look as strong when he is asked to lead the way '.

He is only asked to lead the way when we are short of a guy who a lot of people feel is the best midfield player in the World & a guy who is an integral part of the best national midfield in the world . Is it therefore any surprise that we suffer in these circumstances & a young guy learning the game is not able to cover the gap on his own ?

As for inspiring confidence , I think it should be the other way round & the fans should be trying to give him a bit of support and confidence. As Dave mentioned in his report , Lucas was tidy yesterday and one of the better players , but the dickheads by me were almost orgasmic when he overhit that late pass & they could give full vent to their groaning and snide remarks.

Unless Rafa has decided Spearing is the answer for next season I can't see the point in selling Lucas or we would be back to squad signings of 'like for like' again.

I just think he needs to do more to be worthy of a place at Liverpool, he needs to be more than neat and tidy and have more belief in himself that he can make an impact on the game, needs to get into more dangerous positions and start setting up some chances for Torres.

He's a prime example of what a waste of time the reserve set up is these days. In an earlier era someone like Lucas would play in the reserves week in week out until he was completely used to the speed, style and tactics of the game here and then he'd have to earn a call up through the obvious quality of his performances. Now we just see him sit on the bench, come on and look lost, sit on the bench again, come on and look lost, and so on and so on. It's not fair on the player, it's not fair on the team and it's not fair on us.

We have been looking for a decent right winger for years! We have even been playing an out and out striker in that position for 2 seasons. So, did Rafa ignore this and spent £6m on Lucas instead?

I can atleast understand if people argue for Babel but I will never ever understand the reason why we bought Lucas. One of the kids could have been a cover for Gerrard, Alonso and Mascherano - it doesn't have to be a reserve kid from Brazil.

This has been done to death though mate. So, we better leave it there.

Except Lucas was the Best Midfielder in Brazil at the time and Rafa may have thought, I can get this kid relatively cheap and it could work out to be a fanatstic buy or I can sell him on for a minimal loss as he's only 20/21 and has his best years ahaead of him if he fails to adjust to the prem.

Either way - it was a logical decision (at the time Macherano was only on loan and Momo had lost his way).

Except Lucas was the Best Midfielder in Brazil at the time and Rafa may have thought, I can get this kid relatively cheap and it could work out to be a fanatstic buy or I can sell him on for a minimal loss as he's only 20/21 and has his best years ahaead of him if he fails to adjust to the prem.

Either way - it was a logical decision (at the time Macherano was only on loan and Momo had lost his way).

Your right, it was a good punt and there were times last season that it looked like it would work. But I think we have reached the point of no return, I dont think he is good enough, certainly not if money is tight. If he is fourth choice then use Aurelio (the way United use Giggs etc) and use the money elsewhere. It comes to something when the most noise the home fans made on sunday was when Lucas misplaced a pass!!!! best for all concerned I think if he goes, and we can go back to targetting Kuyt!!!

But by all accounts Lucas wasn't a holding midfielder in Brazil so I refuse to believe he was earmarked for this role. Unless our scouts are a bit shit. Oh...

Momo was a striker when he started out at Valencia and Rafa switched him to DM. Lucas was a box to box midfielder who he thought could develop into a DM that does a lot of miles.