You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vincent Vega

Does anyone else think the club (the Yanks and Parry) want to see what happens at the end of this season before committing themselves? Can't say I blame them myself, even though I despise the self-serving lot of them. If we blow up now, I can't honestly say I wouldn't be against a change in manager myself.

I don't think we can afford a new manager. A new manager is going to want to change a few things and we can't afford a rebuild.

As for his contract the whole thing is full of contradiction. Paper prints rumours about player mulling over contract situation and player gets called cunts by fans and no man is bigger then the club. Manager does it and, erm, well - that's ok then; nothing to see here!

As for his contract the whole thing is full of contradiction. Paper prints rumours about player mulling over contract situation and player gets called cunts by fans and no man is bigger then the club. Manager does it and, erm, well - that's ok then; nothing to see here!

Aye. Rafa Benitez says the players might want to wait to see if he stays before they commit themselves. Then he comes out and blames the board for not tying up Agger. On both occasions, people say Rafa Benitez is right. Incredible.

I didn't expect to win the title this year but if he blows it with his negative tactics, from the position we were in, I won't be too sad to see him go.

People will say that he has fallen for Fergies mind games but I don't think its anything to do with it, we've been pretty shit all season bar a few games and now its catching up to us. We'll probably do well in the CL which has always bought him some slack, and hopefully the FA Cup.

I will also maintain that if we win the league, it will be despite Rafa not because of him.

People will say that he has fallen for Fergies mind games but I don't think its anything to do with it, we've been pretty shit all season bar a few games and now its catching up to us. We'll probably do well in the CL which has always bought him some slack, and hopefully the FA Cup.

Correct.

We have only really played brilliant football in a few games this season.

All those draws due to not showing enough balls is coming to haunt us. And we are losing momentum and confidence at a very crucial stage of the season and Rafa has to take a huge portion of blame for this.

Wait till the summer, see where we finish and then evaluate the situation on whether to stick with him or not.

Correct.

We have only really played brilliant football in a few games this season.

All those draws due to not showing enough balls is coming to haunt us. And we are losing momentum and confidence at a very crucial stage of the season and Rafa has to take a huge portion of blame for this.

Wait till the summer, see where we finish and then evaluate the situation on whether to stick with him or not.

Agree with that.

He will sign a new contract at the end of the season. I think the contract situation has been purposely blown out of proportion to cover Gerrard's court case which is a lot more serious than most people believe.

I did wonder about that but our recent history suggests, depressingly, that whenever I think anybody at the club may playing a canny game, it usually transpires that they aren't at all.

I will also maintain that if we win the league, it will be despite Rafa not because of him.

This statement will only wind people up and polarize the debate, because it is so incredibly stupid. Can't we stick to reasonable arguments here, or this will just be another shitfest.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the Sunday Mirror, he signs this week...

Rafa Benitez will sign a new £20million four-year contract at Liverpool this week.

Co-owner Tom Hicks arrived at Anfield to tell Benitez that the valuation of transfer targets will no longer be the remit of chief exec Rick Parry. And the owners will sanction the sale of £20million misfit Robbie Keane.

Boss Benitez rejected a four-and-a-half-year contract extension because of his anger that Parry refused to pay Aston Villa £18million for Gareth Barry last summer. Instead, Parry agreed a £20million fee for Keane with Tottenham.

A source close to Hicks said: “The owners have had a number of conversations with Rafa Benitez. They agree with his view on how transfer business will be conducted. Tom Hicks and George Gillett hope to conclude the contract while they are in England.”

In my view it would be a huge mistake to give Rafa a new contract now. Nothing should happen until the end of the season, even though I agree with the principle of the manager having full control of the football side of the club within a budget set by the board.

So if this article is true it means what? That he has control over transfers? Can we finally be rid of Parry?

The article states that:

"Parry will now be asked to concentrate on the club's commercial side."

I doubt Parry will be happy about this, but he's gone soon anyway if the yanks sells, so maybe he don't bother too much?

Now there can be no doubt who the villan is if we fail with transfers. That's got to be positive no matter whos side you've taken.

The reason for the delay is simple. Our ownership issues isn't settled yet.

If they sign Rafa on a new contract, and the new owners don't want Rafa, it may make the club harder to sell. So they are leaving it to the new owners/co-owner.

My suspicion is that Gillette is broke, but Hicks isn't. However, I read somewhere that they both have a non-dilution of shares policy, so Hicks can't invest more on his own, and Gillette has to match whatever he puts in. On the other hand, Gillette does not want to sell out to Hicks and wants to try to make a profit from the sale. That is why Hicks is looking for a rich buyer to buy out Gillette, as he isn't interested in selling.

And if the news that Rafa is getting full control of the transfers is true after all in his new contract, that is good news. Let Rafa have the budget to use as he wishes. If they want control, the owners still have to actually provide the budget and approve of it.

As for the CEO, fuck Parry. He has no business handling the transfers. What he really should be doing is improve our marketing and commercial aspects to improve our revenue streams, not anything to do with the footballing aspect of the game. Useless git