You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do you do anything differently to take into account the threat?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Do you do anything differently to take into account the threat?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entirely depends on your footballing philosophy. In theory, it really shouldn't matter about what the other team do, we should just look out for ourselves and let them worry about us. On the other hand though it would be foolish to overlook such a unique threat. It is the basics of football that things like this need to be discussed. Even if they aren't the players will be thinking of it, even if just subconciously.

This thread to me can only be one of two things.

Either it's a sly reference to the "fuck tactics, just go out and beat them" mentality that you ascribe to Rafa's critics. If so it's a bit of a poor show, so I hope it's not that.

Or it's about a cunning ploy involving something that's not even on the pitch. That only works if you're playing at home though. I heard it mentioned on 5 Live the other day, so I won't say what I'm thinking of in case someone else wants to guess at it.

Either it's a sly reference to the "fuck tactics, just go out and beat them" mentality that you ascribe to Rafa's critics. If so it's a bit of a poor show, so I hope it's not that.

Or it's about a cunning ploy involving something that's not even on the pitch. That only works if you're playing at home though. I heard it mentioned on 5 Live the other day, so I won't say what I'm thinking of in case someone else wants to guess at it.

It's a question. It isn't slanted one way or the other, it's just a question to see what people think.

Now vote!

It's a question. It isn't slanted one way or the other, it's just a question to see what people think.

Now vote!

I was just trying to work out what prompted you to start the thread. It's a bit of an unusual question, so I smell a Monty trick.

And I voted before I posted, goddamn you. I'd pick Sami and I'd spend more time in training practicing defending against long throws, it's just common sense.

Yes, but we bring pretty much everyone back for them. Would you do that for throw-ins; because we wouldn't usually for a throw-in.

I would yes. I'd treat it like a corner and defend it as such.

I'm not a fan of bringing everyone back but it's a system that works very well for us as we don't concede too many from corners.

Think he may be doing his coaching badges....

Maybe this is help for a thesis?

Hmmm. The 'Yes' or 'No' options are a bit black and white!

I'd say no apart from telling all the players to expect a long throw into the box and make sure they win all headers and the follow up.

But does that count as 'doing anything different'?

I'd say that's a no. A bit of advice isn't really a yes.

It's a set piece like any other (well apart from the fact that the ball doesn't start at ground level and you can't be offside). But I imagine we analyze preferred set pieces and adjust our game plan accordingly, can't see why we'd do any differently, just because it's a throw-in.

It's a set piece like any other (well apart from the fact that the ball doesn't start at ground level and you can't be offside). But I imagine we analyze preferred set pieces and adjust our game plan accordingly, can't see why we'd do any differently, just because it's a throw-in.

As above. We bring everyone back for corners but not for throw-ins. You are deciding if that still applies.