You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess if Geoff Hurst had spent the next 20 odd years spouting on about it being the "goaline of god", laughing at the Germans, saying it was revenge for the second world war, etc. some players in the german team might think he was a bit of a nob?

Same thing no?

I think what Maradona does is pretty funny, don't get me wrong, but if I'd been playing in that England team, in the world cup quarter final, and didn't have the biggest brain in the world, I'd probably still be pissed off at Maradona.

If the second world war had finished 5 years earlier he might have made more of it.

I dont buy into the whole Ingerlund phenomena either, but Butcher has valid reasons to be unhappy about it. If this happenned in a European Cup Final where we lost to a snidy cunts blatent handball, whether from the best player in the world at the time, or the equivalent of Mark Bright, we would be unhappy about it 22 years later. I would doubt the credibilty of fans if they were not unhappy about it.

For the record, I hope Butcher nuts the fat drug taking cunt.

Again your blatantly wrong and the real Liverpool fans would have the class and style to rise about it.

Maradona doesn't go on and on about this, it only seems like that cos every time he sets foot in England its brought up, usually by the tabloids and ,more often than not by Butcher. This is the 3rd time he's done it.

Is that right? I've always thought of Butcher as someone who would take any opportunity to prove how much of an English lion he was, by taking any free publicity. I don't recall him opening his gob before though. Then again he's so fucking irrelevant it's no wonder I haven't noticed.

It's bizarre that Terry Butcher is even being mentioned in the same breath as a legend like Maradona.

One is adored by people of every race, colour and creed for his immortal genius.

One is famous for having 97% of his brain leak out in a nothing match against Sweden.

It's the bluster of Terry Butcher that I find puzzling. You know, he's carried this grudge with Maradona with him for years and now, when he has the opportunity to front the guy and assuage his inner demons, the best he can come up with is that he won't shake hands with dodgy Diego. What an absolute cacksack! If you feel that bad about a person for that long then you might be forgiven for giving him a crack the moment you met up with him. Butcher is a big, sloppy, dripping, diarrhoea wracked, steaming arsehole! Along with Stuart Pearce, Butcher is the sort of twat, monkey-brained, chicken hearted, 'nationalist' that makes me proclaim my Scouse identity with such pride.

Anyway, I think Maradona would knock fuck out of the big gobshite. I suspect Butcher does as well.

You still hear people going on about how Shanks was robbed off EC glory in the 70s.

Yes and it did get mentioned when we payed Inter last season as it was the first time we'd met them since.

However, it wasn't the main talking point and the atmosphere between the fans was great especially at the San Siro. Liverpool fans chanting "Inter, Inter" and vice versa suggests that we are over it my firend.

Yes and it did get mentioned when we payed Inter last season as it was the first time we'd met them since.

However, it wasn't the main talking point and the atmosphere between the fans was great especially at the San Siro. Liverpool fans chanting "Inter, Inter" and vice versa suggests that we are over it my firend.

Thats what happens at pretty much EVERY European game and I doubt the fans were thinking of that when they were swapping scarves, international football is a different kettle of fish all together as far as rivalry goes. I doubt we'd be shaking the hands or welcoming of the ref, players or Inter officials from that day either. Meanwhile Smackadonna is the same shameless cheat from that day.

Thats what happens at pretty much EVERY European game and I doubt the fans were thinking of that when they were swapping scarves, international football is a different kettle of fish all together as far as rivalry goes. I doubt we'd be shaking the hands or welcoming of the ref, players or Inter officials from that day either. Meanwhile Smackadonna is the same shameless cheat from that day.

"Smackadonna"

Most footballers cheat. Move on.

I doubt Argentina is still obsessed with Owen's dive in the 2002 World Cup.

People are getting mixed up between fans being resentful 22 years on and players being like that. For fans it's smalltime, but for players it's perfectly understandable if you've been cheated out of your only chance to win the biggest trophy in your career (and England could have won that World Cup, no doubt) and the cheat has gone on and bragged about it for more than 20 years. I don't blame Butcher at all.

Imagine if Bruno Conti had punched the ball into the net in Rome in 84 to win the game, and had spent the next 20 years winding Liverpool up about it. Then imagine if Ian Rush, Craig Johnston or Steve Nicol, players who never won a European Cup in their career, faced him as a rival manager. I doubt many people on here would be laying into them for not shaking hands.

People are getting mixed up between fans being resentful 22 years on and players being like that. For fans it's smalltime, but for players it's perfectly understandable if you've been cheated out of your only chance to win the biggest trophy in your career (and England could have won that World Cup, no doubt) and the cheat has gone on and bragged about it for more than 20 years. I don't blame Butcher at all.

Imagine if Bruno Conti had punched the ball into the net in Rome in 84 to win the game, and had spent the next 20 years winding Liverpool up about it. Then imagine if Ian Rush, Craig Johnston or Steve Nicol, players who never won a European Cup in their career, faced him as a rival manager. I doubt many people on here would be laying into them for not shaking hands.

Imagine if Gerrard went down in the box in Istanbul, lets just say, very easily, and got us back in the game. And so on....

England had no chance in that world cup. Belgium would have torn em a new arsehole if they'd miraculously gotten past Argentina and Germany would have put 4 or 5 past em in the final. Any team playing the likes of Peter Reid, Butcher and Steve Hodge should count themselves lucky to be in the last 8. These are the facts. Its time for Mongo Butcher to build a bridge and get over it

Explain to me why one is a world famous iconic image of sport and the epitome of cheating, and the other.... isn't.

Because Diego said it ws "The Hand of God" and also the war was going on. The fact he was the best footballer ever probably highlighted it more. He cheated. Pure and simple. But so fucking what? So does every player. If he wants to make a (frankly, funny as fuck) tongue in cheek comment about it afterwards, why does that make it worse?

Imagine if Gerrard went down in the box in Istanbul, lets just say, very easily, and got us back in the game. And so on....

England had no chance in that world cup. Belgium would have torn em a new arsehole if they'd miraculously gotten past Argentina and Germany would have put 4 or 5 past em in the final. Any team playing the likes of Peter Reid, Butcher and Steve Hodge should count themselves lucky to be in the last 8. These are the facts. Its time for Mongo Butcher to build a bridge and get over it

Gerrard hasn't been proudly saying he dived and rubbing Milan's faces in it though has he?

As for the World Cup, England could definitely have won it. Mentioning the England players you have doesn't prove anything, you could just as easily say Liverpool would have no chance of winning a European Cup with Djimi Traore, Igor Biscan and Antonio Nunez in the side. How would it have been a miracle for England to beat Argentina when Lineker came within inches of equalising? And given that Maradona had done precisely fuck all in that game until the handball, and getting away with it sparked him into life so that he scored the second goal? Belgium weren't a great side, and Germany in the final were absolute wank. England gave Argentina a better game than either of those two did.

I'm not arsed about England any more, but I don't like this lazy agenda that says they've always been shite.