You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kuyts work rate big fuckin deal

JMARKH

Saw a clip on sky sports news before about rafa praising kuyts work rate, it really pisses me off, maybe he wouldn't have to work so fuckin hard if he could keep the ball under control or was any good at beating a man with some pace or trickery. He is not needed to start when we are playing against teams who are inferior to us (about 90% of the time) and want to defend as he opens nothing up, yes he scored in the end last night but how long before his next goal? and surely if we had a better option on the right the game could have been won earlier, its like playing with ten men at times, he's had a few good games in the champions league mainly as a spoiler and therefore has cemented himself in some peoples folklore as a legend, maybe the same type of people who would have been happy for houllier to remain at the helm.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw a clip on sky sports news before about rafa praising kuyts work rate, it really pisses me off, maybe he wouldn't have to work so fuckin hard if he could keep the ball under control or was any good at beating a man with some pace or trickery. He is not needed to start when we are playing against teams who are inferior to us (about 90% of the time) and want to defend as he opens nothing up, yes he scored in the end last night but how long before his next goal? and surely if we had a better option on the right the game could have been won earlier, its like playing with ten men at times, he's had a few good games in the champions league mainly as a spoiler and therefore has cemented himself in some peoples folklore as a legend, maybe the same type of people who would have been happy for houllier to remain at the helm.

Negged for not breathing.

mr_angry.jpg

Negged for negativity. At least he was there to stick it in the net when we needed him to be. And several times in last year's CL. Don't blome the failings of the whole team on one player.

mr_angry.jpg

Repped, quality Mr Man

Its not Kuyts fault he is played on the right. He looked much better when moved up front and was the best of the 3 strikers who played last night.

I agree with that. He was a different player after Keane's departure moved him into his more natural role.

kuyt is a striker and is currently playing as a wide midfielder (not even a wide forward) but he is getting on with the job he is being asked to do, no complaints just hard endevour.

the way I see it having a go at kuyt for no crosses from wide midfield is like having a go at carra if he were played as a striker for no goals. he's not a winger so its pointless to expect wingeresque performances.

I think sooner rather than later rafa will revert back to 4231 which will push kuyt closer to goal if he fails to perform then then critisism will be understandable.

Negged for negativity. At least he was there to stick it in the net when we needed him to be. And several times in last year's CL. Don't blome the failings of the whole team on one player.

Repped, quality Mr Man

negged for having an opinion, whats their to be positive about knowing kuyt will be starting most games? rafa's comments that he is amazing after that shite performance are laughable

Its not Kuyts fault he is played on the right. He looked much better when moved up front and was the best of the 3 strikers who played last night.

He wasn't saying it's Kuyt's fault. Maybe it's Rafa's fault ? I think it's fair to say that Rafa prefer's workrate over flair. Obviously, it would be great to have the two, but I think Rafa will use Kuyt as much as possible. It's just the way he sees the game.

It's a fair point - our wingers are currently Kuyt (centre forward), Benayoun (central attacking midfielder), Babel (centre forward) and Pennant (not used). It frustrated me last night to see Torres running onto balls played into the corners; he's much more effective when he stays central.

I think he benefited from having some genuine width on the pitch though which had happened once Babel and El Zhar came on. I think Robbie Keane would have benefited just as much had he stayed on.

I like Kuyt but for me he is a squad player and no more now, same with Benayoun. In the 4-2-3-1 I would play.

Gerrard Keane Babel

Torres

With the three behind Torres constantly switching positions with each other.

In a 4-4-2

Babel/El Zhar Gerrard Masch (Riera or whoever we get)

Keane Torres

Kuyt and Benayoun are worth keeping as they can play a few different positions (although Kuyt admittedly to a much lesser extent he is never a wide player in a million years).

The amount of times Dirk lost position last night was criminal, we are talking about not being able to trap a ball or control a ball and although he did well for the goal he had a really poor game, he is not the only one mind, but Stevie Wonder could see we were piss poor on the flanks until Babel and in particular El-Zhar came on, very good cameo from him too, he should have had a pen for that tricky run. Babel did well for the goal but overall was not great, still when the full back man on the outside it must have been a shock to the Liege defenders systems as if was probably the first time it happend all night.

We were very lucky last night and in the tie overall, however, when we dont play well we need to be dogged and in 4 games in a row now we have been that. We just need to start to play well before we lose a game now and it will have been a good start results wise at least.

he improved slightly but lets not kid ourselves he would not be getting regular starts at other top clubs, even if they played that system

Have people forgotten last season as well?

He was just as poor upfront, keeping Crouch out of the team for some odd reason. It was only after New Year he went on the right, before that jhe was struggling upfront. Three goals last season in the league says it all.

He's a workhorse. But we need more.