You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Milner

StevieH

It certainly is correlated with finance I agree.

I just think to a slightly lesser extent (ie/ La Coruna winning in '00) mainly wrt a lack of a clear CL 'Big 4'- there seems to be more fluidity there.

You are definetely right though that Rafa was brought in because of his work in overcoming the bigger spenders.

It's not very logical though is it? We've had no interest for Pennant and there's been nothing mentioned about Voronin being sold.

Also, the lowest fee mentioned for Milner has been £7M. Anyway, if we sold Pennant and Voronin, why do we need Milner when we have Benayoun?

Yes it is. Plausible or realistic are however different matters hence why I specified 'at the right price'.

The costs of these transfers are down to pure speculation at the moment but I think we could just about get back what we paid on Pennant, and get £1-2m on Voronin.

Whatever Newcastle might be saying, I think a profit could be made.

Regarding Benayoun, I'd sell him too but that's by the by as even if he stays we still need other options on the bench. Remember we're talking here about selling two forward options, plus Crouch, they will somehow have to be replaced by at least one possibly two other players.

Yes it is. Plausible or realistic are however different matters hence why I specified 'at the right price'.

The costs of these transfers are down to pure speculation at the moment but I think we could just about get back what we paid on Pennant, and get £1-2m on Voronin.

Whatever Newcastle might be saying, I think a profit could be made.

Regarding Benayoun, I'd sell him too but that's by the by as even if he stays we still need other options on the bench. Remember we're talking here about selling two forward options, plus Crouch, they will somehow have to be replaced by at least one possibly two other players.

I'd sell Pennant, Benayoun and Voronin as well. I wouldn't sell Crouch but he is going - to replace all of them i'd bring in Villa and an attacking midfielder, but we'd have the funds available to buy someone much better than Milner for that money.

That probably weakens your argument. Atletico Madrid are in the CL now because they have gone and spent shitloads of cash, whereas the likes of Sevilla have been selling their best players.

Sevilla's success has come about because they sold their better players each year.

Puerta collapsing on the pitch and later dying then losing Ramos earlier than expected meaning they had to promote the manager they were nuturing earlier than expected are bigger factors in their poor performance.

Sevilla's success has come about because they sold their better players each year.

Puerta collapsing on the pitch and later dying then losing Ramos earlier than expected meaning they had to promote the manager they were nuturing earlier than expected are bigger factors in their poor performance.

I don't really care about Sevilla to be honest Cardie, i'm just making the point that finance is just as much an issue in Spain as it is here. To suggest otherwise is just not true. Atletico were in the Segunda Division not long ago, and now they're in the CL - money is one of the reasons why.

I actually don't think that finance is the be all and end all - there's much more to football than just money but to suggest that it's less of an issue in Spain is just ridiculous and all it does it makes Rafa's record over here look better than it is.

Interestingly the 1st season Atlectico were in Segunda they were bizarrely joined by Betis & Sevilla (1 of whom deliberately lost a game to put the other down if i remember right)

3 of the big 6 in Spain iout of the top flight & all of whom have been in the CL since.....

Little old Tenerife got promotion at AM's expense though.... & had Rafa to thank 4 it!

Sorry, Thants- was trying to do a positive rep for you.

Don't know what 'greyed' means but sounds predictably like i screwed it up!

Internet baffles pissed old hack, etc

So then, who feels more like a cunt than me then?! Eh? Cmon, stand in line. Anyone?

No.

On behalf of Thants Ltd maybe I publicly announce that I'm a big whoopsie.

Repped.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A brief selection...

I'm gonna stick my Bellamy out here. Degen will be fucking awful.

He's fuckin crap. No way should he even be considered for us.

I hope you're reading this 'Milner.' If that is your real name. I want you to know that I hate you and your family.

I heard my head say "Terry, you really should tone down your ego. It's unjustified."

And yet here I am. Ruling totally at making judgements on players I've never seen. While all the time looking suave and dapper.

Monty is Tom Cruise and Milner is his Scientology.