You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

do you want us to sign David Bentley?

Paco

Do you want us to sign David Bentley?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want us to sign David Bentley?

• Yes, look what he's done at Blackburn
    • No, he's a good player in a mediocre team

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will humour you Chops.

The likes of Routledge and Pennant were touted as they were the lesser evil of the types of signings Rafa was making in attack e.g. Crouch, Nunez et all were not exactly setting mine or anyone else's pulses racing.

Routledge cost £1.5m and was a fast tricky right winger, I thought he was worth a punt to see if he develops into a better player. It beats buying absolute dross we already know are shit before they even sign e.g. Zenden and Voronin who come in on big wages and block the path of young players.

It is well documented how I wanted us to sign Ronaldo, and now want us to sign Quaresma... and even now would take Joaquin who still has it in my opinion. People need to start getting their own opinions, Bentley is absolute shite and if signed will be a squad player within 6 months of joining - it is a Benayoun type signing - pointless.

After all the debate about signing "squad players"... getting in Bentley would be a disgrace.

Guest TK-421

Fair enough, I just think you have to look at it more objectively. Bentley has been playing at a high level for a while, enough to earn him an England call up from someone as distinguished as Fabio Capello. I haven't seen as much of Valencia this season as I normally do, but last season he did hardly anything to justify his considerable transfer fee.

Fair enough, I just think you have to look at it more objectively. Bentley has been playing at a high level for a while, enough to earn him an England call up from someone as distinguished as Fabio Capello. I haven't seen as much of Valencia this season as I normally do, but last season he did hardly anything to justify his considerable transfer fee.

Wha do you mean by High Level mate? He hasn't played in the CL and for England he has looked shite. I made my mind up once and for all when he was faced one on one with Abidal last week and shit bricks and quickly turned back. I want a feerless winger not a park tramp (poor man's) version of Beckham.

Wha do you mean by High Level mate? He hasn't played in the CL and for England he has looked shite. I made my mind up once and for all when he was faced one on one with Abidal last week and shit bricks and quickly turned back. I want a feerless winger not a park tramp (poor man's) version of Beckham.

Bentley's played like 3 games for England and you judge him already?

He was Englands best attacking player in the only game he started and i think he get MOM in that game. Gerrard, Rooney etc.. also played that game and he was Englands best attacking player.

Guest TK-421

Rashid, you can't judge a young player's career on one incident! That's just crazy talk. By a high level I mean playing very well, not for a CL team or whatever. Put simply: I think he's fucking good and won't complain if we sign him.

I will humour you Chops.

The likes of Routledge and Pennant were touted as they were the lesser evil of the types of signings Rafa was making in attack e.g. Crouch, Nunez et all were not exactly setting mine or anyone else's pulses racing.

Routledge cost £1.5m and was a fast tricky right winger, I thought he was worth a punt to see if he develops into a better player. It beats buying absolute dross we already know are shit before they even sign e.g. Zenden and Voronin who come in on big wages and block the path of young players.

It is well documented how I wanted us to sign Ronaldo, and now want us to sign Quaresma... and even now would take Joaquin who still has it in my opinion. People need to start getting their own opinions, Bentley is absolute shite and if signed will be a squad player within 6 months of joining - it is a Benayoun type signing - pointless.

After all the debate about signing "squad players"... getting in Bentley would be a disgrace.

Zenden did a job, Voronin has been shite and will probably be moved on (for a fee) in the summer. As memory serves, not even Rafa's biggest fans described either of them as a "super acquisition" as you did Routledge.

People are perfectly entitled to have differing opinions on players, but to call a player like Bentley "shite" is either a) mindlessly provocative, or b) just mindless. He's a gifted player with a sharp eye for a pass, excellent dead-ball delivery, and probably the best close control in the England team.

He might have flaws, he might, in your opinion, not be what we need. Simply calling him "shite" is why you'll never be anything but a sideshow attraction.

I don't know what "people need to get their own opinions" means, so I'll leave that one alone...

Bentley:

"Time will tell over the next few months what will happen. It's a big decision in my life.

"You never know in football. Sometimes you have to make strong decisions."

"I want to play European football, I want to play at the top of my game. I want to go to the World Cup in two years and I want to be starting."

Bentley:

"Time will tell over the next few months what will happen. It's a big decision in my life.

"You never know in football. Sometimes you have to make strong decisions."

"I want to play European football, I want to play at the top of my game. I want to go to the World Cup in two years and I want to be starting."

come & get me plea if ever i read one.

Rashid obviously wants quaresma or someone equally as shit.

Only right sided player i can honestly say i'd love us to get is Ribery and there's fuck all chance of that.

come & get me plea if ever i read one.

Rashid obviously wants quaresma or someone equally as shit.

Only right sided player i can honestly say i'd love us to get is Ribery and there's fuck all chance of that.

Exactly and that is precisely the kind of response that will endear him to Rafa Benitez.

I've not seen a great deal of Quaresma, but he strikes me of a bit of a show pony. Clearly he is very talented but more crucially has he got an end product & the hunger and desire to be a top player. He had plenty of the ball in the Porto v Liverpool game earlier in the season, but didn't really hurt us.

probably the best close control in the England team.

That's probably not that difficult in all honesty!

I can see why Capello likes him, he is good on delivery and can create something from set pieces. For a pragmatic manager who relies on the percentage game; Bentley is ideal. He won't be needed to run at players, to get past players or create something from nothing - in fact he won't be allowed to by Capello. It worries me that a manager of Liverpool Football Club would want him though.

He is exactly the signing that some of us have been arguing we do NOT need ie not THAT much better than what we already have.

As I said, we need someone to take on the full back, give something "extra"... as a comparison his rival at United is Cristiano Ronaldo - all it will mean is that we are still behind and he will be sold a few seasons later as not good enough like most of Rafa's attacking signings.

It's time to buy the best. We need a Torres on the wing, not another Crouch.

Not trying to be funny Ian, but bearing in mind you've said in the past that Joey Barton's seemed a decent lad when you've met him, I'd have thought you'd have taken what people say about players in real life with a pinch of salt.

I really don't see what that's got to do with anything, Danny. I'll tell you one thing I know for a fact (that sounds horrible, but still...) a lot of footballers, including some of our own, think Bentley is an utter cock.

Does it matter much? Probably not, but that, plus the fact that I think he's shite as well, probably adds more weight to me not wanting us to sign him.

Its a vast improvement so i'm not sure what people are moaning about.

I think Bentley would be a terrific signing. He may not be a Ronaldo, but then again there probably isn't another of his kind around at the moment. Bentley would be a very good addition in my opinion along with another match winner like Aguero .

Exactly and that is precisely the kind of response that will endear him to Rafa Benitez.

I've not seen a great deal of Quaresma, but he strikes me of a bit of a show pony. Clearly he is very talented but more crucially has he got an end product & the hunger and desire to be a top player. He had plenty of the ball in the Porto v Liverpool game earlier in the season, but didn't really hurt us.

bentley has scored more goals than queresma (and got more assists) in a tougher league playing for a shitter team.