You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Star Trek - The Shit, or Just Shit?

madstock

Star Trek  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Star Trek

• Klingon? Klinkers more like it - it is SHIT
    • Full power to.. yeah, whatever - Star Trek is THE SHIT (in a good way)

Another DS9 fan here. Loved next gen and really didn't like voyager. Sorry for the wrongness.

moogie_200.jpg

Mooooogyyyyyy!

Melons I'm considering negging you for your Voyager comments, it was a shitstain on Star Trek lore. There's actually stories of the actors standing around laughing at their scripts. Hunt down some Robert Beltran or Ron D Moore interviews, scathing isn't the word.

• 1 year later...

I'm conflicted when it comes to Star Trek. As Section has pointed out some of the episodes (mainly involving the Borg) are great TV and deserve repeated viewings. However, the vast majority of episodes (and this goes for all the various iterations) feature the crew getting in touch with their feelings, oozing 'humanity' all over the place and defeating mysterious, omnipotent lifeforms with the power of 'lurve'. Utterly boring and tedious.

Also, the universe in which it's set is ludicrous; the whole world is at peace, there is no such thing as money, the acquisition of wealth is no longer what drives people and all is sweetness and light. Did the writers of this drivel not watch the news or read their history books? The human race is one of the most self-interested, belligerent, wasteful and downright unpleasant species to walk the planet, and has been since time immemorial. How's that going to change in a few hundred years?

Plus, all the 'aliens' are just humans with shit facial prosthetics (unless they're amorphous blobs of light with immense, god-like powers).

The old ones are the best, shakespeare in space, better than Star Wars which is the shittest overrated peice of cremated turd ever and I enjoyed Howard the Duck immensley more than this as it had tits in it at least, and a duck. A bombshell I know, but the truth I've been hiding from you all these years. Spread my wisdom tooth.

I'm conflicted when it comes to Star Trek. As Section has pointed out some of the episodes (mainly involving the Borg) are great TV and deserve repeated viewings. However, the vast majority of episodes (and this goes for all the various iterations) feature the crew getting in touch with their feelings, oozing 'humanity' all over the place and defeating mysterious, omnipotent lifeforms with the power of 'lurve'. Utterly boring and tedious.

Also, the universe in which it's set is ludicrous; the whole world is at peace, there is no such thing as money, the acquisition of wealth is no longer what drives people and all is sweetness and light. Did the writers of this drivel not watch the news or read their history books? The human race is one of the most self-interested, belligerent, wasteful and downright unpleasant species to walk the planet, and has been since time immemorial. How's that going to change in a few hundred years?

Plus, all the 'aliens' are just humans with shit facial prosthetics (unless they're amorphous blobs of light with immense, god-like powers).

To be fair the things you point out there existed only relatively briefly in the franchise, notably the first and second seasons of The Next Generation before its creator Gene Roddenberry was kicked into touch as a creative force. He was a humanist and his overall vision was that one day humans would be better than they are now. In fairness we don't know how humanity would be impacted by free energy to the point where you can create anything you want (no more need for conflict) and also encountering alien races would no doubt bring human being closer together as a race (which is the point of the film Star Trek First Contact).

That being said, it doesn't make for great drama in some ways, Ronald D Moore (who did the Battlestar Galactica reboot) cut his teeth on TNG and says to this day he doesn't know how it was such a great show, because it was missing the vital ingredients of drama, internal conflict between characters - but somehow it managed it.

DS9 tried to address some of those issues though, for instance there's a top episode in the 7th season called The Siege of AR-558 where a bunch of Federation officers have been left stranded to defend an outpost for months against the Jem'Hadar (an awesome creation) and they start coming apart and basically turn into psychopaths. There's a line where Quark says humans are wonderful people as long as their bellies are full, but take away their creature comforts and they become bloodthirsty animals.

The original series was pure sci-fi, some of its episodes (Mirror Mirror and Amok Time) were written by hugely respected sci-fi writers and they're up there with the best stuff in the sci-fi canon.

TNG and DS9 have churned out episodes which, in drama terms and characterisation, would shit all over anything produced in this country in the last 20 years. It's laughable really that they're just dismissed by so many who've not even given them a decent watch.

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

star trek, star trek, star trek, star trek, star trek, star trek................ what you men see in it I dont know. A load of men running around space.....you men and the things you think are "great fun"

I dont mind Star Trek but I used to wonder whilst all the top heads were on the Enterprise devising new theories and discoveries and in their spare time they would sit off with Picard and co performing plays and concertos that all the brighest and best would be off into space. Then the people left on earth must be the leftovers. Like a futuristic version of St Helens.

Not a future I want to be part of thanks.

Babylon 5 is ace, my mate's a super trekkie and won't even bring himself to watch it. 

Yeah I preferred it quite a bit to Star Trek, but probably shouldn't be ranting about that here or I'll get mobbed by Trekkies! Just found out that Straczynski who wrote it has also helped write Sense8 with the Wachowski's as well, which should improve the chances of that being decent by quite a bit.

They really should have been turfed out with that type of talk.