You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Questionable Owners

BookableOffense

Would it be better to have the current ownership, who think like businessmen first, or would it be better to have somebody like Abramovich who seemed at least to care about the kind of football his team played?

I really wonder about that sometimes...they both seem to make unreasonable demands of their managers and ultimately trip over their own feet when it comes to furthering their clubs...

How about somebody in the middle who cares enough to want to invest money in the team, runs it like a business but is clever enough not to promise the world to fans and deliver fuck all?

Fucking hell, I'd prefer Moores to these two clowns and I hated Moores.

I agree with the first bit but not the second. Id rather have Tommy Cooper in charge than Moores.

three sorts of owners here:

Abramovich - money no object. Has become a hobby. Wants attractive football. Any success is certainly 'bought' not 'earned'.

Moores - lifetime fan, not the best businessman. Pockets not quite deep enough to sustain a top four club these days.

G&H - fortune greater than Moores, as is business acumen. Nowhere near as deep pockets as Abramovich. If they deliver a new stadium and the team progresses, such that we're closer than under Moores' regime, then they are the happy medium. Even with debt they are still better than the others (so long as the whole thing pays for itself).

The jury is still out on G&H for me, so a proper judgment must wait.

Abramovich - money no object. Has become a hobby. Wants attractive football. Any success is certainly 'bought' not 'earned'.

Moores - lifetime fan, not the best businessman. Pockets not quite deep enough to sustain a top four club these days.

G&H - fortune greater than Moores, as is business acumen. Nowhere near as deep pockets as Abramovich. If they deliver a new stadium and the team progresses, such that we're closer than under Moores' regime, then they are the happy medium. Even with debt they are still better than the others (so long as the whole thing pays for itself).

How would you class DIC, or Silvio Berlusconi, or Agnelli?

I dunno. I just get baffled when I see the things they say in the press, when I see their chubby smug faces beaming under their raised red scarves...

And I just don't get why these two want to buy a football team. I certainly don't feel like Americans shouldn't love and support Liverpool--a club that certainly represents universal values in football--but these two seem to have no particular interest in it. Maybe they've got too much money on their hands, but if that were the case, locking up everyone's favorite Argie would be well in order.

However, I disagree with everyone bringing up the lowpoints of the club. So long as the likes of Carra, Sami, Dirk, The Chief, I'm okay. Pardon me if I sound like an Evertonian, but I'd rather watch my team play like men at the end of the day than root for certain Portugese prettyboy wingers...So I'll say that these owners might frustrate me, but I certainly haven't lost hope.

However, I disagree with everyone bringing up the lowpoints of the club. So long as the likes of Carra, Sami, Dirk, The Chief, I'm okay. Pardon me if I sound like an Evertonian, but I'd rather watch my team play like men at the end of the day than root for certain Portugese prettyboy wingers...So I'll say that these owners might frustrate me, but I certainly haven't lost hope.

So why not go and watch pub teams slug it out every Sunday?

The most important thing either way is to have owners that have LFC's well being as first priority. If they thnk a business approach is the way forward to get trophies, or if they mean that we have to play a special kind of football to achieve the same, then so be it. Their intentions behind their approach is the most important.

If I could pick an owner for our club, I would've picked the Barca-model. Fans owning it and appointing the leaders. That way they can't fuck them around as they wouldn't last long.

the same reason you don't go watch united or arsenal.

he loves the club.

what a fucking retarded question.

He mentioned that he would rather watch "real men" and in the same sentence belittling talented footballers. He then goes on about the romantic notion of a team of Carraghers... be serious, a team of Carraghers would win you nothing.

To be totally honest, I don't think it's such a romantic notion. I don't think they'd score beautiful goals, but what I'm really getting at is that I trust whatever internal stuff Carra's got to look an opponent in the eyes and find a way to beat them.

Lots of people are competitors, but very few people have got what that guy's got. Maybe he's no Rio Ferdinand, and maybe what everyone was saying this past weekend about his distribution is legitimate, but there is no question who we all want to see back there for us. He makes me proud as all hell of this club and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way.

No not at all. He can still watch a team of "men" for free on a Sunday.

what's wrong with prefering players with heart and class who get the job done, over pussy-ass, mercenary primadonnas?

your question was retarded because you failed to see that was the point he was making. he would rather lose with class than win without it. his view is different than yours, but he no doubt loves the club, so why would you suggest he go watch any other club/team!?

What I want from both the owners and the players rests on the idea that there is a Liverpool Way of doing things.

I want to see us put together a side that is talented at doing the little things, the simple things that it takes to play this game well. I am just as happy with a goal, however it comes, but when the whole team is firing on all cylinders, it is beautiful to watch. If we won every game and I was forced to acknowledge it was on account of a whole lot of diving, laziness and cheating, the victory becomes hollow.

I bitterly hate losing, but that's because I know the feeling of watching the team build a beautiful attack from the ground up and put in a legitimate performance on the pitch.

Similarly, when an owner (or owners in this case) promises a lovely new stadium then send their little worm out to tell the press that we're not only not going to get what was promised but that he expects us to be happy with it, I have pause.

I agree, ultimately, that a new stadium is more revenue, which helps the club, but the way these guys have conducted business irks me.

But how could they possibly have known that the US $ would have taken a dive. They could have done as you suggested and saddle us with an enormous amount of debt that would have been a millstone around our neck for years and years. But no, they did what any good businessmen would do, they found a way to minimize the cost while assuring that we continued to get the same revenue as we would have done with the original design.

Sounds to me like a) they've made a sound business decision and b) have ensured that in future years more money will be available for transfers vs. paying off debt.

Where is the problem?

How about somebody in the middle who cares enough to want to invest money in the team, runs it like a business but is clever enough not to promise the world to fans and deliver fuck all?

Fucking hell, I'd prefer Moores to these two clowns and I hated Moores.

Amen to that !

I dunno. I just get baffled when I see the things they say in the press, when I see their chubby smug faces beaming under their raised red scarves...

And I just don't get why these two want to buy a football team. I certainly don't feel like Americans shouldn't love and support Liverpool--a club that certainly represents universal values in football--but these two seem to have no particular interest in it. Maybe they've got too much money on their hands, but if that were the case, locking up everyone's favorite Argie would be well in order.

Let´s get Mourinho then and play like Wimbledon..... They were real men at least :no

We need to mix the two.....

Guest foresthills

Yeah that Torres, Babel, Lucas, numerous kids and the new stadium will cost fuck all you piece of garbage.

Lets face it, whoever took over you'd be playing this whopper routine, trying to flex your weedy internet muscles. You're nothing but a sad twat and embarssment to our once fine support.

Let´s get Mourinho then and play like Wimbledon..... They were real men at least :no

We need to mix the two.....

What are you on about? You class Drogba, J & A Cole, Robben, Terry and the like as real men?

How would you class DIC, or Silvio Berlusconi, or Agnelli?

DIC - not sure. Arguably the best of all worlds: fans - Ansari ticks that box; business acumen - hardly needs highlighting; wealth - greater than Abramovich, and again, hardly needs highlighting. Quite possibly they were almost too good to be true. Longer term intentions and bullishness with Moores possibly scuppered the deal. (I genuinely feel that if they would have let Moores have a little bit of dithering time they would be the new owners, but it wasn't to be).

Berlusconi - AC Milan? Wealthy politician and fan but always seemed a bit murky to me.

Agnelli - Fiat/Juventus? Italy's team, the 'Old Lady'. Don't know enough about Agnelli to comment.

We agree on a lot but not this they've ripped the heart and soul out of the club, whatever Abramovic's motives he gave the chelsea fans what they wanted. At least Mourinho got sacked for football reasons, even if they were idiotic and stupid football reasons

So why not go and watch pub teams slug it out every Sunday?

95% of footy fans in this country support teams through thick and thin knowing their clubs will never win anything of note, does that mean they should give up because their clubs can't afford a top class winger?

That's Harry Enfield footy logic.