You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Promises for the future

Remmie

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple

With a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves

And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired

And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

And run my stick along the public railings

And make up for the sobrietry of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain

And pick flowers in other people's gardens

And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

Or only bread and pickles for a week

And hoard pens and pencils and beer mats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry

And pay our rent and not swear in the street

And set a good example for the children.

We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practice a little now?

So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny Jacobs

I will take my grandchildren to the supermarket. I will give them sweets that make them hyperactive then take them home to their parents.

Dont forget that you will wind them up before taking them back and then questioned the parents' parenting ability when they are bouncing off the walls.

I promise that if I have a daughter, I will buy a handgun, and when she gets old enough to date, I will make said dates sit down and have a "talk" with me while I clean said handgun.

I also promise to walk around in public completely naked, with my old man balls dangling about. Not because I'll have Alzheimer's, but because it'd be fun to gross out all the young kids and scar them for life.

Guest PaddyBerger15

I also promise to walk around in public completely naked, with my old man balls dangling about. Not because I'll have Alzheimer's, but because it'd be fun to gross out all the young kids and scar them for life.

So basically you are a Noos wannabe then?

I promise I will say "eh?" after everything you say, even if I heard you properly the first time.

I will never get my money ready before buying something at the shop. I'll wait until the shopkeeper asks for it, then count it all out in coppers and ask for a receipt.

I promise that if I have a daughter, I will buy a handgun, and when she gets old enough to date, I will make said dates sit down and have a "talk" with me while I clean said handgun.

No automatic or sawn-off? Pah, the guy coming round to 'date' your daughter probably has his own tank.

Guest PaddyBerger15
He's everything I hope to be when I'm too old to remember my name like him.

Nowt wrong wit that, when it comes to be a dirty, dribbling, argumentative, cantankerous old bastard with more than a hint of irreverence, Noos is as good a role model as any.