You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dreams

James Hook

As of late I have been having strange dreams and managing to remember them quite clearly. I was wondering if anyone knows anything slightly more in depth studies about dreams as it intrigues me.

I read in the Midnight Snacks thread someone mentioning Cheese on toast for the crazy dreams. Does food actually affect dreams or sleeping patterns? Also just slightly curious about whether anyone else can remember their dreams in the morning? Like I said it's only been quite recently that I've found myself remembering everything.

That is a sign of insecurity.

Mr Hook may I ask what you dream about?

Ahhh I knew this would be raised!

Well the other night I dreamt I was walking into JD Sports to go to a night club which was lots of floors down, and I had to walk down a spiral staircase past lots of shoes and clothes, and on the way down I bumped into a girl I haven't seen in years, which was really strange and kind of freaked me out, but anyway there was a big chat of, hey hows things, before we both decided to continue on down to the night club. I could hear music playing in the shop but the stairs seemed never ending. Eventually I ended up getting to the bottom floor which led me out onto the high street, and I lost the girl I knew. The I awoke.....

Anything of interest? Psychological analysis perhaps?

Ahhh I knew this would be raised!

Well the other night I dreamt I was walking into JD Sports to go to a night club which was lots of floors down, and I had to walk down a spiral staircase past lots of shoes and clothes, and on the way down I bumped into a girl I haven't seen in years, which was really strange and kind of freaked me out, but anyway there was a big chat of, hey hows things, before we both decided to continue on down to the night club. I could hear music playing in the shop but the stairs seemed never ending. Eventually I ended up getting to the bottom floor which led me out onto the high street, and I lost the girl I knew. The I awoke.....

Anything of interest? Psychological analysis perhaps?

It means you are ugly. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Hmm very interesting. It's quite a strange subject matter. There doesn't seem to be much solid studies on it with definitive answers

Look up id, ego and superego on wiki, it's fascinating stuff. Freud thinks everything is about sex.

To be fair, in his day and age almost everything sexual was repressed, whereas now almost everything is open.

Look up id, ego and superego on wiki, it's fascinating stuff. Freud thinks everything is about sex.

To be fair, in his day and age almost everything sexual was repressed, whereas now almost everything is open.

Freud is viewed as a bit of a pseud in some psychological circles. A lot of his stuff hasn't ever been psychologically validated. His theories were developed using clinical case studies and he then generalised these to the entire population, without ever quantitatively validating their generalisability. As a therapy, psychoanalysis isn't particularly effective in my opinion. It's also best to remember that Freud's theories might be indicative of his cultural era. The Victorian era is widely reported as sexually repressed, so it's easy to see why Freud arrived at some of his conclusions. Freud used to prescribe cocaine to his patients, until he realised it was turning some of them psychotic.

Isn't the main problem with psychology that nothing can be tested in the same way things are tested in other sciences? That variables can't be controlled, that situations cannot be repeated?

Variables can be controlled. You mightn't ever get the exact same two responses but that's not the same as being unable to control the variables. The differences in situations can be caused by a failure to control the variables, the greater the control of the variables, the less likelihood there is of experimenter bias and/or extraneous variables. There are many statistical models that can be adopted, but which one to use is typically governed by the design of the experiment. The role of the experimenter is to ascertain what percentage of the variance in scores is attributable to the controlling of the variables and how much is caused by noise or unaccounted for factors. The better the experiment the higher the variance to noise.

Scanning procedures such as fMRI, PET and MEG have given the cognitive sciences further credibility as they allow the experimenter to observe phenomena at the neurophysiological level. The unconscious may exist, it may not but that's not to say it corresponds with Freud's conceptions of the unconscious.

The development of psychometrics as a robust arm of the social sciences occurred after Freud had developed his theories. However, even then it's still been difficult to lend scientific credibility to some of his ideas. Psychoanalysis isn't a particularly effective treatment compared to cognitive or behavioural therapies (both of which are widely validated, is that a coincidence?). Freud actualyl produced some groundbreaking work in the field of neurology and specifically neurons that has stood the test of time. Fierce critics have accused him of no more than modern day witch craft but I think that might be on the harsh side. Freud is one of those topics that divides opinion.

When I was a kid I used to be terrified in my dreams by Rod, Jane and Freddy. They used to print me onto a newpaper, and run me through a newspaper press making lots of lots of copies of me and sniggering in an evil manner as they did so. I felt every single slam of the typeset-daisy-wheel thingy and ever roller as they did, the bastards.

Now, things are a bit mellower. I usually die in various messy ways in my dreams, in all of which I feel myself die in whatever manner, feel my ribcage explode as I fall from a great height or watch my blood seep away as my sight fades to grey after being stabbed through the chest with a metal spike.

But, at least there is no more Rod, Jane and Freddy operating a malignant newspaper press. Small mercies...

I had a dream a few weeks ago that i remembered really clearly when i woke up. It was basically my future played out in my dreams. I got a job promotion, big office, fancy suit and of course a bigger wage packet. It was in the place i work now and i was the boss, all the people i work with were in it. I also had a wife and child and could clearly see their faces and i even remembered their names. It really scared me how realistic it was, the part about work and other private things that happened. Is this telling me what's going to happen in the future or should i lay off the drink ?

Other examples of dreams i've had would be meeting people i hadn't seen in years and having a chat with them. On a few occasions i've met the people afterwards and what they told me in the dream is almost exactly what they're really doing. This is some freaky shit, either i have some weird gift or the drink is fucking up my head big time.

I had a dream a few weeks ago that i remembered really clearly when i woke up. It was basically my future played out in my dreams. I got a job promotion, big office, fancy suit and of course a bigger wage packet. It was in the place i work now and i was the boss, all the people i work with were in it. I also had a wife and child and could clearly see their faces and i even remembered their names. It really scared me how realistic it was, the part about work and other private things that happened. Is this telling me what's going to happen in the future or should i lay off the drink ?

Other examples of dreams i've had would be meeting people i hadn't seen in years and having a chat with them. On a few occasions i've met the people afterwards and what they told me in the dream is almost exactly what they're really doing. This is some freaky shit, either i have some weird gift or the drink is fucking up my head big time.

I don't know, it might well be real. I've had a few myself and ive spoken to others who say the same. So i reckon its a fairly common thing. I kept a diary of my dreams when i was going through a phase of having loads of lucid ones so there was a degree of proof with mine so to speak. If people had time to pay more attention to their dreams i think loads of people would have stuff like this happen.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Bump (so to speak).

Had one of these weird future predict dreams last night. Incredibly vivid save for perhaps the most important details.

It starts with me landing at Heathrow from somewhere across the pond just before Christmas, several years into the future (definitely before this decade is out). No idea where I am travelling from as anything that would give me a clue has been blurred out, but I'm guessing either the US or Canada judging by the number of fellow travellers with those accents. Thing is, I'm not coming back home, but rather to visit family in the UK, which suggests I am no longer based in the UK. And it isn't just me. I have the missus with me too. Thing is, I cannot see her face or anything physical that would describe her. I don't even know her name, yet I know we are married and happy. Her whole family are blurry too so I have nothing to go on, yet I know we all get on very well. The only clue as to who she is lies in her speaking with a US or Canadian accent, but there's nothing in any conversation that reveals where we are travelling from. How normal everything seems to be is very striking. We get together with the rest of the family at my uncle's house for a party where gifts are exchanged, and where at some stage in the evening we announce - using a riddle - that we're expecting twins around August of the following year. I even know the riddle we cooked up, which involves a card that reads "What has 2 heads, 4 thumbs, 16 fingers and 20 toes?" with a reveal section underneath containing a sonogram photo with the words, "You'll see in about 9 months!". We've already told my brother and he's there videoing the party, to catch everyone's reactions at the news. Her folks and family were already told the news before we travelled and were asked to keep it quiet so we could surprise my family back in the UK. Everybody is delighted. Throughout the whole thing she is just a blur without a name but it's clear that the whole thing is just perfectly normal. My own actions and reactions during this dream suggest the same.

The thing is, I still live in the UK and there's nothing on the horizon indicating a move elsewhere. I'm not seeing anybody at present and there's nothing in the pipeline, never mind from somewhere in North America, so I have zero clue as to who this person is or might be. For all I know it could be somebody I haven't even met yet. I only know she has a US or Canadian accent but I know she is awesome.

I'm not one of these people who thinks about marriage, kids and that life so this dream came as a shock to me. I can't think of anything that would have triggered it either, it was that random. I haven't had a drink for over a week now so it's not something alcohol induced. Much as it may pain him, I am also ruling out the possibility of Tom R having bummed her.

I woke up 2 hours earlier than normal today because of this, and I am currently in the strange position of wanting to know what happens next, if only to remove the blur from the key details.

What does it all mean people?

does anyone else every now and again seem to 'trip over' in there dream but just as they are falling asleep? if you do then you know what i mean.

also, used to get a lot of brain shocks when i was a younger lad swallowing too much ecstacy. they were fucked up. for a week after a festival every night just as i was nodding off this surge would run up my body and give me a weird shock in my head.

Bump (so to speak).

Had one of these weird future predict dreams last night. Incredibly vivid save for perhaps the most important details.

It starts with me landing at Heathrow from somewhere across the pond just before Christmas, several years into the future (definitely before this decade is out). No idea where I am travelling from as anything that would give me a clue has been blurred out, but I'm guessing either the US or Canada judging by the number of fellow travellers with those accents. Thing is, I'm not coming back home, but rather to visit family in the UK, which suggests I am no longer based in the UK. And it isn't just me. I have the missus with me too. Thing is, I cannot see her face or anything physical that would describe her. I don't even know her name, yet I know we are married and happy. Her whole family are blurry too so I have nothing to go on, yet I know we all get on very well. The only clue as to who she is lies in her speaking with a US or Canadian accent, but there's nothing in any conversation that reveals where we are travelling from. How normal everything seems to be is very striking. We get together with the rest of the family at my uncle's house for a party where gifts are exchanged, and where at some stage in the evening we announce - using a riddle - that we're expecting twins around August of the following year. I even know the riddle we cooked up, which involves a card that reads "What has 2 heads, 4 thumbs, 16 fingers and 20 toes?" with a reveal section underneath containing a sonogram photo with the words, "You'll see in about 9 months!". We've already told my brother and he's there videoing the party, to catch everyone's reactions at the news. Her folks and family were already told the news before we travelled and were asked to keep it quiet so we could surprise my family back in the UK. Everybody is delighted. Throughout the whole thing she is just a blur without a name but it's clear that the whole thing is just perfectly normal. My own actions and reactions during this dream suggest the same.

The thing is, I still live in the UK and there's nothing on the horizon indicating a move elsewhere. I'm not seeing anybody at present and there's nothing in the pipeline, never mind from somewhere in North America, so I have zero clue as to who this person is or might be. For all I know it could be somebody I haven't even met yet. I only know she has a US or Canadian accent but I know she is awesome.

I'm not one of these people who thinks about marriage, kids and that life so this dream came as a shock to me. I can't think of anything that would have triggered it either, it was that random. I haven't had a drink for over a week now so it's not something alcohol induced. Much as it may pain him, I am also ruling out the possibility of Tom R having bummed her.

I woke up 2 hours earlier than normal today because of this, and I am currently in the strange position of wanting to know what happens next, if only to remove the blur from the key details.

What does it all mean people?

Your subconscious/unconscious mind is telling you to pull your finger out and sort out that marriage you've been avoiding.

does anyone else every now and again seem to 'trip over' in there dream but just as they are falling asleep? if you do then you know what i mean.

Did one better the other night, I was in a lift, hundred stories up, take the express lift down, breaks fail, i wake up as my torso falls flat against the floor. Horrible dream.