You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is there still hope for Le Gem?

Kurt

According to http://www.liverpool.no Rafa has recalled Anthony Le Tallec and may give him one last chance to succeed. Sochaux wanted him, but can`t afford him, so another loan deal is their hope. Two other french club is also interested, but Rafa has decided to keep him on for the time beeing.

Also in the same article they quote Mark Gonzales confirming he has signed on for Real Betis for six years. He admitted that he was dissapointed with his season, although he has grown as a human beeing and improved as a player. he said he understands those who sees his stay as a failure, and he could`nt adapt good enough to the English style.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how the fuck is he going to get a game for us? he would have Bellemy Crouch Kuyt Voronin & Torres all in front of him for the striker role and too many to mention in midfield so that would leave a lone deal to a prem side or a sale to a prem side who can afford him? or playing in the ressies

I thought he had the technical ability. That for me was never in doubt. What I feared was he was too lightweight for English football. I believe he had some European games for us, a couple of seasons ago, I thought he played well in them, but my memory just is a bit hazy at the moment! If be bulked up a bit, he could do a job for us, and save us a few bob, as we're skint!

:smile:

I thought he had the technical ability. That for me was never in doubt. What I feared was he was too lightweight for English football. I believe he had some European games for us, a couple of seasons ago, I thought he played well in them, but my memory just is a bit hazy at the moment! If be bulked up a bit, he could do a job for us, and save us a few bob, as we're skint!

That would be Juve, however he is definately not Liverpool class.

Surprised at this, but if Rafa wants to give him another chance of sorts then so be it. Can't see him making much of an impact for us, but expect him to be given his fair share of playing time in pre-season.

Guess his pre-season form will pretty much determine whether he has a future here.

Guest PaddyBerger15

When the dynamic duo first arrived from Le Havre, it looked as though ALT was the more likely of the two to make it, and he was given more playing time. He looked a neat footballer, a good passer, and a player who was comfortable in possession. We played it on the floor and to feet when he played behind the front 2, and IF he could mature physically, he might well be able to replace Luis......BUT, it seemed to be more down to his attitude that he was shipped out. Maybe a couple of seasons have matured him as a person, but after that season he had with Sunderland, it seems unlikely as he was making noises to the effect that signing for Liverpool had been a bad move, and going on loan, especially to the North east was an even worse move.

Reading between the lines, it would appear that there isn't really a market for him, and the team who would like to keep him can't afford him, hence he comes back and we reassess him. It would be bonzer if he could make it and perform a role for us, but as others have said above, its unlikely that he is going to get many opportunities, and if Benayoun arrives, then even less likely. He isn't going to get a game up front and he doesn't seem like a winger, so a role in a 4-2-3-1 as the central one of the 3 might be his best and only role.

IF he could make it, he would save us a few bob in the mid and long term, but Rafa seems to be collecting other kids like stamps to play that role(s)...like the Hungarian kids and the Swedish lad. It looks like another season in the ressies for ALT if he comes back, and he's not going to be happy with that.

I'm betting that hes only coming back because we can't sell him. He cost us 3m originally, not looking like a particularly good investment now, and what is particularly telling is that not once did Houllier make any overtures to buying him or talking him to Lyon at anytime over the last 2 years....thanks Ged, another triumph of shrewd investing of our resources.

His talent is not in doubt. I remember him playing very well in a derbu against Everton. It was the one that ended 0-0, where Gerrard should have scored 5, and even Carra was incges away from a goal.

He also proved against Juventus that he could play in a high profile game. If he is to have any chance to make it at Liverpool he will have to accept beeing a squad player and take it on from there.

I remember reading some comments last year where he was very open about his mistakes, saying he should never have asked to be guranteed playing time, and never should have left Liverpool. It seemed he was very aware of his mistakes, and had matured.

So instead of buying a new squad player, I can see the sense in keeping him for another year.

Think this is just Rafa playing hardball with the French clubs wanting loans.

That may very well be the case. Another loan deal should`nt be an option, then it`d be better to give the lad a last chance. Has he matured, he may realise that this is his last chance to make a name at a top top club.

Guest Ronin47

i remember when he first arrived and played a few pre seasons his passing was superb had high hopes for him but his problem was deff his attitude hopefully his time in the wilderness may have taught him something.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Think this is just Rafa playing hardball with the French clubs wanting loans.

That may very well be the case. Another loan deal should`nt be an option, then it`d be better to give the lad a last chance. Has he matured, he may realise that this is his last chance to make a name at a top top club.

Yep, I'd agree with both of those.

Bit of a shame Pongo had to go. He was always a good sub, but was never going to be happy with that. He pretty much turned the games around against Luton and Olympiakos and set us off on trophy-winning campaigns. Which was nice. Did a brilliant job at Recre last season, so La Liga obviously suits him. If he ever pops into the Excy on Dale Street (you never know, he might get homesick) I'd buy him a pint.

I also thought he had the technical ability, but was a grade one shithead.

Some lads grow out of that as they get older (in fact we're looking at spending £27m on one of them - Torres was a world champion gobshite when he was younger) and some don't <ahem> Antonio Cassano </ahem>. I'm interested to see which category ALT falls into, but I'd be just as happy to find out via the medium of YouTube to be honest.

I remember him playing some good games, in particular the derby were he was fucking immense and every pass he made sliced through the Everton defense, must have created at least 10 chances. Dunno how it was 0-0. His attitude is piss poor, keep him for six months and maybe give him a few chances, especially with Luis out of it.