You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres

Paco

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Than anyone. Torres is the best young striker in world football - FACT.

THANK YOU

I'm a long time lurker but i had to register to say i cant believe the amount of people who seem almost unhappy about us potentially getting Torres one of the hottest properties in world football, a player manu tried to get for a few years and were willing to pay even more.

People are actually debating whether it would of been a better move getting Darren Bent O_o have i entered the twilight zone, Torres is an incredible player with the potential to be a world beater.

I just can't get excited about this deal. Too many times in the past I've allowed myself to be swept along by the hype about a new signing when the reality was that noone bar a tiny minority had actually seen the player on anything more than YouTube. I respect many of the opinions I've heard praising him, but I'll make up my own mind; even if he is as talented as people say, adapting to English football could be beyond him.

For me, the real positives in this deal lie in the level of backing given to Rafa to strengthen the team. It seems pretty clear that he could have had Tevez (who I'd have been ecstatic about) for less money, yet he's gone for this lad. That says a lot. However, it still strikes me as a huge fee for a player with his goal record. I don't care who it compares to at a similar age - they didn't cost the best part of thirty million quid.

However, once he signs, I'll be really looking forward to seeing him play.

THANK YOU

I'm a long time lurker but i had to register to say i cant believe the amount of people who seem almost unhappy about us potentially getting Torres one of the hottest properties in world football, a player manu tried to get for a few years and were willing to pay even more.

People are actually debating whether it would of been a better move getting Darren Bent O_o have i entered the twilight zone, Torres is an incredible player with the potential to be a world beater.

My point about Bent, is that he is proven in the premiership already, and a safe bet for a 'reasonable' fee (his strike-rate compares favourably with Torres.) Dirk, has pointed out to me that Bent's opportunities to score goals with Charlton are limited to a certain 'style' of play within the team, and, its a fair one.

However, Torres's strike rate, for a spanish player in la liga, is, imo, ordinary. Granted, he may have 'assisted' many more goals: I can't say, because like most if not all posters here, I havn't had a decent long term look at him. One world cup doesn't comprise a players carreer stats, or form.

For me, Torres, is an unknown quantity, but I do know that we are about to smash the club record for this transfer, and, to pay for it, we might need to sell our back up strikers, and when I read on the BBC site, that even Crouch, would be considered (bearing in mind that Bellamy is prob on his way, Cisse nearly on his way, Fowler gone and now Garcia on his way) it would appear to be leaving us in 'striker deficit'.

Thats why I'm asking, do we know for sure, he's being signed as a striker? Torres has defo played midfield for Madrid at times, and I'm just trying to get a handle on Rafa's new tacttics (if, there are any)

My point about Bent, is that he is proven in the premiership already, and a safe bet for a 'reasonable' fee (his strike-rate compares favourably with Torres.) Dirk, has pointed out to me that Bent's opportunities to score goals with Charlton are limited to a certain 'style' of play within the team, and, its a fair one.

However, Torres's strike rate, for a spanish player in la liga, is, imo, ordinary. Granted, he may have 'assisted' many more goals: I can't say, because like most if not all posters here, I havn't had a decent long term look at him. One world cup doesn't comprise a players carreer stats, or form.

For me, Torres, is an unknown quantity, but I do know that we are about to smash the club record for this transfer, and, to pay for it, we might need to sell our back up strikers, and when I read on the BBC site, that even Crouch, would be considered (bearing in mind that Bellamy is prob on his way, Cisse nearly on his way, Fowler gone and now Garcia on his way) it would appear to be leaving us in 'striker deficit'.

Thats why I'm asking, do we know for sure, he's being signed as a striker? Torres has defo played midfield for Madrid at times, and I'm just trying to get a handle on Rafa's new tacttics (if, there are any)

I can't believe he'd pay £27m for a striker and then play him in midfield. From what I've read about Torres, Rafa likes him because of his ability to play up front on his own, yet still score - especially from crosses.

I just can't get excited about this deal. Too many times in the past I've allowed myself to be swept along by the hype about a new signing when the reality was that noone bar a tiny minority had actually seen the player on anything more than YouTube. I respect many of the opinions I've heard praising him, but I'll make up my own mind; even if he is as talented as people say, adapting to English football could be beyond him.

For me, the real positives in this deal lie in the level of backing given to Rafa to strengthen the team. It seems pretty clear that he could have had Tevez (who I'd have been ecstatic about) for less money, yet he's gone for this lad. That says a lot. However, it still strikes me as a huge fee for a player with his goal record. I don't care who it compares to at a similar age - they didn't cost the best part of thirty million quid.

However, once he signs, I'll be really looking forward to seeing him play.

I would like to know two things:

1. if we got Mascherano, why were we unable to get Tevez as well, at the same time? Surely they are both great players? What the hell happened there??

2. We have no information about what Mascherano cost, or how long he is here. Did we buy him? Did we loan him? Does anyone know?

There's a lot of unanswered questions: Why didn't building begin on the new stadium this week? Does anyone have news?

The Chief was a couple of million for an 18 montyh loan with an option to buy for a further £10m. I'd be more than happy to do a similar deal for his mate, albeit for more money (as he's a better/more dangerous player).

he's not going to play in midfield he is the main striker at Atletico and often plays on his own with a couple of wide men.

It seems to me most of the people who are unsure about him haven't seen much of him and are judging him to much on his stat's while those who are really excited about him have seen him quite a bit so that tells you something.

I'm confident everyone will love him once he plays for us and shows what he is all about.

The Chief was a couple of million for an 18 montyh loan with an option to buy for a further £10m. I'd be more than happy to do a similar deal for his mate, albeit for more money (as he's a better/more dangerous player).

Thanks for that, I was totally in the dark about it..I don't suppose, as his value increases we can expect the price to stay the same? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Maybe Rafa didn't have a chance to bid for Tevez at the time, although obviously West Ham wanted to unload Mascherano; I've heard that tevez's agent wants him out of the Premiership.

I personally think the reason rafa has gone for torres rather than bent (I have no question in my mind bent will outscore torres next season) is because rafa doesn't feel that crouch and kuyt effectively link the midfield to the strike force and to be fair they haven't had to in the past so he has been for a true second striker, also I think rafa feels they playing further upfield kuyt (or crouch) will score more than bent.

I have no doubt in my mind rafa wanted a second striker than an out and out striker hence rafa's number one target (torres) and number target (tevez).

last season we had kuyt, crouch, bellemy and fowler. who is the second striker out of that lot? we've been 'making do' I can assure you kuyts natural game is not to drop deep and create chances for the striker furthest forwards.

in the same way I expect alonso to push forwards with the introduction of masherano so he can become the player he was a RS I expect kuyt (and crouch) to push forwards so he can be the player he was at feyenood.

basically rafa has splashed the cash for 'rooney' (second striker) rather than an 'owen' (out and out striker)

I personally think the reason rafa has gone for torres rather than bent (I have no question in my mind bent will outscore torres next season) is because rafa doesn't feel that crouch and kuyt effectively link the midfield to the strike force and to be fair they haven't had to in the past so he has been for a true second striker, also I think rafa feels they playing further upfield kuyt (or crouch) will score more than bent.

I have no doubt in my mind rafa wanted a second striker than an out and out striker hence rafa's number one target (torres) and number target (tevez).

last season we had kuyt, crouch, bellemy and fowler. who is the second striker out of that lot? we've been 'making do' I can assure you kuyts natural game is not to drop deep and create chances for the striker furthest forwards.

in the same way I expect alonso to push forwards with the introduction of masherano so he can become the player he was a RS I expect kuyt (and crouch) to push forwards so he can be the player he was at feyenood.

basically rafa has splashed the cash for 'rooney' (second striker) rather than an 'owen' (out and out striker)

Torres is an out and out striker not a second striker

THANK YOU

How dare people not agree with you? Heaven forfend. Now fuck off back to lurking you patronising tosser.

we'll see :thumbup:

And you'll be wrong. Torres har played as an out and out striker all his career. Often on his own and mostly in a mediocre team.

It would be very weird of Rafa to smash the clubs transfer record for a player and then play him out of position. (And dont come up with any Cisse-Diouf answer. Neither was bought by Rafa).

So because you think we're selling almost all our other strikers, you feel Rafa might play Torres in midfield? That's some seriously fucked up shit man, get a grip.

How dare people not agree with you? Heaven forfend. Now fuck off back to lurking you patronising tosser.

Im not being patronising, im just saying i have seen a lot of Torres and he is a great player who has everything and those who are not happy about the transfer seem to be so just because they haven't seen much of him.

And you'll be wrong. Torres har played as an out and out striker all his career. Often on his own and mostly in a mediocre team.

It would be very weird of Rafa to smash the clubs transfer record for a player and then play him out of position. (And dont come up with any Cisse-Diouf answer. Neither was bought by Rafa).

Presumably Torres will play every important game and that does beg the question about Crouch's Future and to a lesser extent Kuyt's. If Crouch had any sense he'd ask for a transfer, he wasnt first choice last season and he certainly wont be next season and if we do sign Tevez then his chances are defo small.

Im sure Rafa would like to keep all his players but Im not sure all his players will be happy playing second fiddle.

For me we now have 7 guaranteed first team starters for important games

Presumably Torres will play every important game and that does beg the question about Crouch's Future and to a lesser extent Kuyt's. If Crouch had any sense he'd ask for a transfer, he wasnt first choice last season and he certainly wont be next season and if we do sign Tevez then his chances are defo small.

Im sure Rafa would like to keep all his players but Im not sure all his players will be happy playing second fiddle.

Wrong if Crouch had any sense he would knuckle down in training and force himself back into the managers plans and make himself one of the 7 regulars.

That is the attitude Rafa will want to see and its the attitude i want to see. No player is bigger then the club and if they cant accept competition for places then they should fuck off.

Crouch will accept competition.

Do you really mean that? As has been said if Crouch has any sense he will try and produce the form he showed against Arsenal as that will make him close to undroppable.

Wrong if Crouch had any sense he would knuckle down in training and force himself back into the managers plans and make himself one of the 7 regulars.

That is the attitude Rafa will want to see and its the attitude i want to see. No player is bigger then the club and if they cant accept competition for places then they should fuck off.

Crouch will accept competition.

OK

Im looking it from Crouch's perspective, the only real way back for him now is for Fernando to be Fernando Mark II. Crouch was infuriating last season, brilliant one minute average the next.

As I said If I was Crouch and saw how good Fernando was in training id be a realist and do what was best for my career