You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Global Warming

Stu Monty

Really bugs me that people think climate change means it will simply get hotter all the time when it actually means more extreme/unpredictable weather.

I hear it all the time I  my office, 'global warming my arse'. Hopefully we all fry this week so I don't have to listen to the fucking morons anymore.

• Upvote 1

On 08/12/2022 at 12:43, Captain Willard said:

There’s a Venn diagram to be drawn of the people who hated thatcher for shutting coal mines and those who hate Gove for consenting to a new one. 

There's another one for Tory cunts on a Liverpool forum.

• Upvote 5

On 10/12/2022 at 16:40, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Explain.

Lithium mining is absolutely ridiculous considering what it takes to get that small amount out. Then when everything needs to be powered by Lithium batteries they need to be constantly charged at a source of electricity. Is that source going to be Lithium powered as well? 

Electricity (coal), gas and all of the basic amenities are going through the roof for alternative energies that don't work or aren't sustainable and are based on the back of decade's of scaremongering. 25 year's you'd think we'd all be underwater or melting by now. 

For full disclosure I am a miner and know that the mining industry can be bad for the surrounding area and emissions.

Offsetting current mining energy method's is not sustainable, wiping them out and forcing the average joe to rely on the wind, sun, lithium is not going to be good unless the government wants to subsidise it. But they won't.

On 08/12/2022 at 09:56, ZonkoVille77 said:

. It's MEANT to be fucking cold in winter FFS. The world's population is getting dumber by the day. 

Global warming is just one effect - the reality of climate change is weather extremities are happening in every direction.

Anomalies in heat, cold, storms, flooding etc all on a scale never seen before.

I saw Adam Brooks on twitter (he was sound during some of the covid measures when against mandates, passes, etc, not so sound now) going on about "green agenda cults" so I decided to look how solar power works in the winter and ended up finding out that Europe's (supposedly) biggest battery storage is less than two miles away from me : Cottingham: Europe's biggest battery storage system switched on

Definitely going to need more of them in the coming years if we're serious about transitioning energy properly.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bloke said:

Lithium mining is absolutely ridiculous considering what it takes to get that small amount out. Then when everything needs to be powered by Lithium batteries they need to be constantly charged at a source of electricity. Is that source going to be Lithium powered as well? 

Electricity (coal), gas and all of the basic amenities are going through the roof for alternative energies that don't work or aren't sustainable and are based on the back of decade's of scaremongering. 25 year's you'd think we'd all be underwater or melting by now. 

For full disclosure I am a miner and know that the mining industry can be bad for the surrounding area and emissions.

Offsetting current mining energy method's is not sustainable, wiping them out and forcing the average joe to rely on the wind, sun, lithium is not going to be good unless the government wants to subsidise it. But they won't.

Alternative energy sources do work, are affordable and (if we're talking about energy sources, not batteries) are sustainable by definition; infinitely moreso than fossil fuels.

The impacts of global warming have been known about for a lot longer than 25 years. The climate disasters wreaking havoc around the world right now, this year, are pretty much in line with forecasts that were made decades ago.

We can't afford any more dependence on fossil fuels; that much is screamingly obvious. We need to use less energy and to ensure that the energy we do use comes from renewable sources that don't contribute to global warming. The kind of offsetting you're talking about would have been a good idea 25 years ago, but it's too late to tinker around the edges of the problem now.

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I saw Adam Brooks on twitter (he was sound during some of the covid measures when against mandates, passes, etc, not so sound now) going on about "green agenda cults" so I decided to look how solar power works in the winter and ended up finding out that Europe's (supposedly) biggest battery storage is less than two miles away from me : Cottingham: Europe's biggest battery storage system switched on

Definitely going to need more of them in the coming years if we're serious about transitioning energy properly.

Another big dilemma is that an estimated 97% of solar panels have at least some element of forced labour (from the Uyghur region of China) in their construction.

4 hours ago, Bloke said:

Lithium mining is absolutely ridiculous considering what it takes to get that small amount out.

Low-cost battery built with four times the capacity of lithium
Researchers are hoping that a new, low-cost battery which holds four times the energy capacity of lithium-ion batteries and is far cheaper to produce will significantly reduce the cost of transitioning to a decarbonised economy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Another big dilemma is that an estimated 97% of solar panels have at least some element of forced labour (from the Uyghur region of China) in their construction.

I didn't know that either, maybe after the energy problems over the last year the industry will be pushed to have several sources instead of relying mostly on one like we do in that case. Some advances with solar tech could help with lithium too so that other materials can be used if it's widely accepted that changes need to be made there. That could normally take a while but with the current energy costs I'd like to think there'd be a bit more of a collective will to do something different.

29 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:
Low-cost battery built with four times the capacity of lithium
Researchers are hoping that a new, low-cost battery which holds four times the energy capacity of lithium-ion batteries and is far cheaper to produce will significantly reduce the cost of transitioning to a decarbonised economy.

I think I've read something similar to that in the past with sodium being used, hopefully there's better luck with that though and we hear more of it in the near future instead of it being one of those potential breakthroughs that doesn't work out for whatever reason.

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s gone, get over it. Governments the world over don’t give a shit about legislating for change and once the refugee numbers start flying up the shit will hit the fan. 

Nuclear War will be the end game here. 

I know things seem increasingly bleak, I'm going to try and keep some type of optimism though and this energy crisis should make the idea of carrying on as normal without really altering where we get energy from an option that isn't taken seriously.

5 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Alternative energy sources do work, are affordable and (if we're talking about energy sources, not batteries) are sustainable by definition; infinitely moreso than fossil fuels.

The impacts of global warming have been known about for a lot longer than 25 years. The climate disasters wreaking havoc around the world right now, this year, are pretty much in line with forecasts that were made decades ago.

We can't afford any more dependence on fossil fuels; that much is screamingly obvious. We need to use less energy and to ensure that the energy we do use comes from renewable sources that don't contribute to global warming. The kind of offsetting you're talking about would have been a good idea 25 years ago, but it's too late to tinker around the edges of the problem 

It's not gonna happen but good luck on your crusade.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...