You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our Players In Trouble On The Algarve?

1892-LFCWasBorn

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AYESTERAN TO QUIT LIVERPOOL FOLLOWING PORTUGAL FRACAS

by Lionel Counts

http://www.sportingstory.co.uk

The fall-out from Liverpool's training camp fracas in Portugal seems to have no end with assistant manager Paco Ayesteran now being rumoured to be leaving the club at the end of the season. It seems that Rafa Benitez is far from pleased with Ayesteran as he was supposedly left in charge of the players for the evening whilst Benitez left the camp to attend to some personal business.

A blazing row between the pair ensued upon Benitez's return to the camp and him finding out about the night of revelry which ended up with Jerzy Dudek being arrested and Craig Bellamy taking a golf club to John Arne Riise. The three players have since been fined by Benitez and it seems as if their Anfield careers are also nearing the end of the line.

Benitez is said to be keen on replacing Ayesteran with another Spanish assistant. Possible candidates as his replacements include Seve Ballasteros and Sergio Garcia.

Just in case no one couldn't work it was bollocks already.

AYESTERAN TO QUIT LIVERPOOL FOLLOWING PORTUGAL FRACAS

by Lionel Counts

http://www.sportingstory.co.uk

The fall-out from Liverpool's training camp fracas in Portugal seems to have no end with assistant manager Paco Ayesteran now being rumoured to be leaving the club at the end of the season. It seems that Rafa Benitez is far from pleased with Ayesteran as he was supposedly left in charge of the players for the evening whilst Benitez left the camp to attend to some personal business.

A blazing row between the pair ensued upon Benitez's return to the camp and him finding out about the night of revelry which ended up with Jerzy Dudek being arrested and Craig Bellamy taking a golf club to John Arne Riise. The three players have since been fined by Benitez and it seems as if their Anfield careers are also nearing the end of the line.

Benitez is said to be keen on replacing Ayesteran with another Spanish assistant. Possible candidates as his replacements include Seve Ballasteros and Sergio Garcia.

6/10

Has anyone seen the mock up of the 'Tiger Woods TOUR 2007' EA game where someone has, and its really funny this bit, taken off Tigers head and, guffaw, replaced it with Bellers ?

Ive heard so much abouit it and Ive got snot coming out of my nose laughing so hard about it i just want to see it ...........

Apparently Bellamy announced after training today that he will never go clubbing with Risse again because the Norweigan simply doesn't have the legs for it anymore

Bellamy said that Riise asked for a 'sand wedge' when they were at the restaurant.

Has anyone seen the mock up of the 'Tiger Woods TOUR 2007' EA game where someone has, and its really funny this bit, taken off Tigers head and, guffaw, replaced it with Bellers ?

Ive heard so much abouit it and Ive got snot coming out of my nose laughing so hard about it i just want to see it ...........

Tadaaaaa!

Bellamy adds new twist to soccer violence when he attacks a teammate

CHRIS LEHOURITES, AP Sports Writer

February 19, 2007 9:47 AM

LONDON (AP) - Liverpool striker Craig Bellamy added a new twist to the problem of soccer violence last week when he attacked a teammate.

Yes, a teammate.

The Wales forward allegedly hit John Arne Riise in the legs with a golf club while Liverpool was in Portugal at a training camp preparing for a Champions League match against defending champion FC Barcelona.

Bellamy now faces a fine of $155,000 and an uncertain future with the 18-time English league champions.

If teammates whacking each other with golf clubs after a night out isn't absurd enough, consider the reason for the fight - they were arguing about a karaoke competition.

Karaoke!

The news of the fracas definitely wasn't music to the ears of George Gillett Jr. and Tom Hicks, Liverpool's new American owners.

The pair supposedly heard about the fight in Portugal and ordered Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez to issue a statement saying that players who misbehaved would be punished.

''We will take disciplinary action and fine any of them who are found to have breached club rules during our stay in Portugal,'' Benitez said in Sunday's statement.

Bellamy, who has a history of losing his temper, looks to be the first casualty of the dictum - something not exactly alien to him.

When he played for Newcastle in 2004, Bellamy threw a chair at assistant manager John Carver. He was then heavily fined for calling manager Graeme Souness a liar in 2005.

Bellamy has also spent some time in court. In 2003, he was charged with three racism offenses after a night out in Cardiff, Wales. He admitted to using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behavior and was fined $1,252.

The charge of ''racially aggravated'' abuse was dropped.

Late last year, Bellamy was cleared of assaulting two women in a nightclub.

But Bellamy can't be singled out as the team's lone troublemaker in Portugal. Other Liverpool players, including Jerzy Dudek, Jermaine Pennant and Robbie Fowler, were also said to have been drunk and acting up.

There have been worse crimes committed by professional athletes, however, and plenty of unruly behavior has come from overly aggressive sportsmen over the years.

Teammates have fought before in the English league. Newcastle players Lee Bowyer and Kieron Dyer exchanged punches on the field during a game in 2005.

Bowyer was later suspended for seven games and Dyer banned for three. The team also fined Bowyer.

Gillett and Hicks are no strangers to pugnacious players - both own NHL hockey teams. But spending $430.8 million for a group of players who hate each other isn't something they're likely to tolerate.

And they shouldn't, because soccer - and Liverpool - has had an ugly enough past when it comes to violence.

At the 1985 European Cup final at the Heysel stadium in Brussels, 39 people were killed when Liverpool fans charged their Juventus counterparts and a stadium wall collapsed.

Four years later, 96 Liverpool fans were crushed to death at the FA Cup semifinal match against Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough Stadium.

Hooliganism in soccer hasn't been confined to just Liverpool, of course.

On Feb. 2, 38-year-old policeman Filippo Raciti was killed by rioting fans after Catania played Palermo in the Italian league. That incident led to the suspension of league play for a week and security measures that have forced some teams to play in empty stadiums until standards are met.

There have been other soccer riots and fighting all over the world, but it's still worrying to read about a professional soccer player hitting another - especially in the legs.

Luckily for Riise, he was not injured. If only the same could be said for the image of Liverpool and soccer.

LINK

"There have been other soccer riots and fighting all over the world, but it's still worrying to read about a professional soccer player hitting another - especially in the legs."

What a stupid article. That bid made me laugh, should he have smashed him over the head instead?

The club took the even more politic stance of "investigating it". The Norwegian media is accusing Bellamy of 'attempted murder' because they said that Bellamy was saying first that he was going to End Riise's career and then he was going kill him with a golf club. That's all rubbish. No way Bells drinks that much less than a week before Barca's match.

Dudek head butted a cop, Pennant, Fowler, and someone else damaged cars. That's all rubbish. The cops wouldn't let someone go who #1 assaulted an officer and #2 damaged private property regardless of who they are...

The team wouldn't allow themselves to go on a freaking bender. You think Carragher would allow these guys to drink their faces off this close to a match? It all smells of utter bullshit.

This is what happened

1) Team goes as a group to have dinner/a drink

2) Team has second drink.

3) Waiter/other patron calls Newspaper

4) They come snap pictures/bother them

5) Players get angry and go back to the hotel.

6) THE JOURNO'S MAKE THEIR FUCKING MONEY DOING WHAT THEY DO BEST... MAKING SHIT UP.

Maybe in Canada mate. I don't know about Portugal. In the UK however, if there was just damage to a car you'd be lucky if the police came round a couple of days later to take a statement - more likely you'd phone them and report the crime, they'd give you a crime number to pass to your insurance company and that would be it. Honestly. You do know that the majority of police stations in the UK only open between 8.00am and 6.00pm, don't you?

My mum, who is 65, got mugged at knifepoint last year and it took the useless fuckers two days to come round and see her.

Maybe in Canada mate. I don't know about Portugal. In the UK however, if there was just damage to a car you'd be lucky if the police came round a couple of days later to take a statement - more likely you'd phone them and report the crime, they'd give you a crime number to pass to your insurance company and that would be it. Honestly. You do know that the majority of police stations in the UK only open between 8.00am and 6.00pm, don't you?

My mum, who is 65, got mugged at knifepoint last year and it took the useless fuckers two days to come round and see her.

I understand what you are saying but if they have the person who did the crime they wouldn't let him go. I mean if they have handcuffed Dudek and they know that he has smashed cars and tried to headbutt them they are not likely to let him go.

*not saying that Dudek has smashed up cars or headbutted a police man.

They've just had an english worker from the hotel on Five live. Nothing happened. He said they were a bit noisy when they got back but 20 blokes a bit squiffy aint gonna be silent. There's a 24 hour police presence at the hotel when a big club is there. He said it was bollocks (paraphrasing).

i suspect he is one of those guys who thinks he is to cool and doesn't want to look silly

Or maybe as the article suggested he's a fairly quiet, shy bloke off the pitch (which I have heard about JAR before, multimedia sex-pest activities aside) and can't stand things like Karaoke because he feels an absolute cunt doing it. A bit like myself, in fact.

With me, the more people pressure me to do something like that and the more the attention is focused on me, the less likely I am to do it. It also really pisses me off when people can't (or won't) understand that it's got nothing to do with not wanting to join in, being "too cool" to do it, or any crap like that, it's just that some people are profoundly uncomfortable with being at the centre of attention, in the same way that some others thrive on it. My favourite is always "oh come on mate, have some fun...", when I'm actually having plenty and the only thing likely to stop me having fun is being browbeaten into making a complete twat of myself.

Of course, all that goes out of the window if I'm pissed, but apparently JAR wasn't which also lends some credence to the story (and shows him to be a damn site more professional than some of our players, if the gist of the story is accurate). Now, am I the only person here that doesn't always enjoy being out with a bunch of pissheads when I'm sober?

If Riise is completely innocent, it wouldn't be surprising if he was strategically leaking bits and pieces to win over public opinion, so he can escape a fine. Am I being too harsh here?

For the sake of balance in view of the above, no you're not. Think it's interesting that there's been no public apology or attempt to play down the seriousness of the incident from Bellamy's people though - suggests to me that he knows he fucked up and can't really say much in his defence. Maybe I'm reading too much into it though.

If JAR is gobbing off, I can't see Rafa being too chuffed with that either - it will do absolutely fuck-all for morale in the long-term. I'm sure the players don't want people crying to the press about things that should be kept in-house any more than we do.

They've just had an english worker from the hotel on Five live. Nothing happened. He said they were a bit noisy when they got back but 20 blokes a bit squiffy aint gonna be silent. There's a 24 hour police presence at the hotel when a big club is there. He said it was bollocks (paraphrasing).

Hope that's true mate.

and

In the Algarve, if its worth anyhting its highly protected. I go out to Qunita de Lago, just up from Vale De Lobo most summers as we've a family villa there. Several times Ive got back to the villa after a few bevvies and keyed in the wrong code to the alarm. Within 5 minutes, two armed patrol units are there. And thats just on a private area. Vale De Lobo is a very rich area and all the security guards are armed, all the time. So while I dont know what they are like for damage to cars, they always keep a high profile and will turn u pin force at the slightest chance of trouble. So the reports of 4 or 5 police/security vans actually suggests the whole thing was minor. Considering the hotel and the area.