You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rashid, if you're reading this…

Neil G

Isn't all this talk of our strikers not being up to it a bit premature?

Think it's a fair debate but you have to bear in mind that Kuyt and Crouch do an awful lot of work dropping deep into midfield whereas Bellamy will be waiting to pounce on through balls and those in the channels.

In recent times our more prolific strikers like Robbie and Owen have had an unselfish partner like Rush and Heskey.

I've no problem with Bellamy but we've nobody clinical to call on when he's having an off-day in front of goal.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree it is too early to judge with Bellamy and especially Kuyt. With Crouch we know more or less what his scoring record is.

I think Kuyt will become quite prolific.

Agreed, also with kuyt playing deeper its harder for him to score the amount of goals everybody seems to be expecting and it seems to a certain extent the knives are out. Personally i still believe bellamy will become a real player for us and his pace has been causing problems to alot of teams. In regards the squad if we can get someone like villa ill be buzzing but IMO the prorities have got to be down the flanks both defensively and on the wings, as rafa has said we have the spine of a great team in quality centre backs and centre mids but we have a lack of pace and world class quality down both flanks. Obviously we have the option of gerrard on the right (and as much as i want to see him in the middle with the centre mids we have in the squad thats were he could be playing) we have fuck all down the left channel, that for me is the no 1 priority.

Think it's a fair debate but you have to bear in mind that Kuyt and Crouch do an awful lot of work dropping deep into midfield whereas Bellamy will be waiting to pounce on through balls and those in the channels.

In recent times our more prolific strikers like Robbie and Owen have had an unselfish partner like Rush and Heskey.

I've no problem with Bellamy but we've nobody clinical to call on when he's having an off-day in front of goal.

Fair point, Kuyt certainly does his share of the dirty stuff. I'm all up for a debate but people seem to have written them off after 30 odd games. Somebody please explain the sense in that?

Kuyt will make it, off that I have no doubt. Rafa chased him for two years and his record speaks for itself.

Think the problem isn't neccesarily the quality of our strikers but that they all seem to be good second strikers rather than out and out predators. IMO Bellamy, Kuyt and Crouch would make good partners for an out and out striker but none seems to be out and out goalscorers (Kuyt may have this ability but its unlikely he can do it whilst playing his current deeper role).

I assume "people" means me, Drew, as I think I'm the one who got this whole thing rolling. I haven't written anyone off. I think Crouch, Kuyt and Bellamy all have big roles to play at Liverpool. I also think the latter two will get better as they bed in and they'd all improve with better service from the flanks. However, with the roles they play (especially Crouch and Kuyt) and the chances they've all squandered, I can't see any of them being the main man, goals-wise. They are all classy second strikers who each offers something different to the others. I want a goal-scorer of the Owen/Fowler/Aldo/Rushie calibre up front, and none of these boys is that.

I assume "people" means me, Drew, as I think I'm the one who got this whole thing rolling. I haven't written anyone off. I think Crouch, Kuyt and Bellamy all have big roles to play at Liverpool. I also think the latter two will get better as they bed in and they'd all improve with better service from the flanks. However, with the roles they play (especially Crouch and Kuyt) and the chances they've all squandered, I can't see any of them being the main man, goals-wise. They are all classy second strikers who each offers something different to the others. I want a goal-scorer of the Owen/Fowler/Aldo/Rushie calibre up front, and none of these boys is that.

United are currently top of the league without such a striker, but they have always had one and will surely buy one in the summer. Looking around Europe, it is fair to say that buying a top striker who takes responsibility for scoring the teams goals is what we need. It would be interesting to see how it pans out at Newcastle, Martins and Owen I doubt can play together. Cheeky bid in the summer for our little Mikey? If not then David Villa is the man but nagging doubts about his adaptability remains, not least for the fact he openly says doesn't like England.

Just to clarify: At the end of this season the league will have been won by a team without a "goalscorer" for the third year running.

Totally. Ferguson has been utterly vindicated in selling the Horse. Had he stayed, he would undoubtedly scored more than any of their current strikers. They would, however, have more than likely scored fewer goals in total.

I dont think we would be too fussed about the strikers if we were chipping in with goals from the wing and midfield.

That is our whole problem. If the strikers dont score then we dont score. Both the Mancs and Chelsea get goals from midfield whereas we rarely score from there.

Ronaldo and Scholes score there fair few. Lampard although with the aid of deflections score plenty but Alonso doesnt score many and Gerrard hasnt reached the heights of last season. Pennant just the 1.

Just to clarify: At the end of this season the league will have been won by a team without a "goalscorer" for the third year running.

That's all well and good but they had a number of players in double figures, a few more scoring between 5 and 10 and a few picking up the odd couple which masked the lack of a 20 goal a season player.

In the 2 and a half year period you've mentioned only 1 of our player has hit 10 goals, Kuyt will do it this season (he's on 9 currently).

The need for a clinical striker is obvious but equally we need more creative midfield players who can chip in with more goals than they do.

Paul it wasn't a jibe at you personally although I do class you as one of the people who I think need to take a step back. It's all about opinions at the end of the day.

Has it not yet struck people he might not actually want an out and out goal scorer? I believe he wants 3-4 hardworking strikers who will bag 10-15 goals each a season and be willing to do the dirty stuff in the mean time.

While Rafa's in charge I don't think we'll ever see an Owen/Fowler based strike force. I don't believe it's in his footballing philosophy.

Who has won the league in the past 15 years?

Do these name ring a bell? Andrew Cole, Ian Wright, Thierry Henry, Ruud Van Nistellroy, Dwight Yorke, Alan Shearer...

Statistics don't always tell the whole story. A goalscorer always helps, no doubt Fergie will buy this summer.

On the case of our midfield, well over the past 3 seasons Gerrard and Garcia have surely got their fare share of goals?

Kuyt's bagged 9 in 24 in a team that never performed until November for Christ’s sake. Kuyt’s record in Holland was outstanding and it’s a foolish man who believes he won’t replicate that here given a decent crack of the whip. A little bit of perspective is needed from people who should know better.

Was it? His career total is 142 goals in 340 games.

I said the other day that i think we have 3 out of 4 strikers that would make up an awesome front line.

Crouch, Kuyt and Bellamy are all fantastic players, each offers something different and I think they all have a big part to play in the future of the club.

But I dont think the new money will lead to a change toward Rashid type signings.

Yes, we'll look to buy one or two high valued players ie Villa and perhaps the likes of Simao and Alves will come back into the equation, but the fundamental qualities Rafa likes will continue to be the primary driver for buying a player. So they will have to be team players, who have a good work ethic. PLayers like Wakeen etc dont fit that bill.

Totally. Ferguson has been utterly vindicated in selling the Horse. Had he stayed, he would undoubtedly scored more than any of their current strikers. They would, however, have more than likely scored fewer goals in total.

Yep.

This was as true in the 90's as today. We had, Robbie, Collymore and Owen, whilst they have had Cloggs Cole and the Horse.

What enabled them to dominate was their midfield. Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Beckham and now the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney who are both attacking players, but are not out and out goalscorers. Ditto Cheslea, with Moon Face, Robben, Cole, Makelele and Duff. Arsenal have been the excpetion with Henry but still in their unbeaten season they had a dominating midfield quartet.

You do not need a prolific striker to win the league. Fact.

The vast majority of the teams that have won the English top league have had a prolific striker. FACT.

you need a good defence, a decent midfield, a solid keeper and some prolific strikers to win the league and nothing more. Oh I, a manager.

I'll see you at Fulham Drewy. Our ticket connection has been shot to bits due to family arguments. (bloody typical)

But not them all. Chelsea for example.

The vast majority have, so by the law of probabilities you are more likely to win the league if you have a prolific striker. History has proven that, comprende?