You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Could you have made it?

lifetime fan

Do you think you have (had) the ability to play at a decent level?

I know this will lead to the inevitable 'almost' stories but do any of you feel you had the talent/ability to have made a living from football?

And do you think (dreams not allowed) you could have ever played for Liverpool?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was the starting keeper for Waasenaar U14s before being ripped away from Europe to live in Canada.

Waasenaar sold to ADO Den Haag. From ADO to Go Ahead Eagles Deventer. Then a move to Wacker Munich where I would have met up with another young German protege Dietmar Hamann. Then I would get Willie Mackay as my agent and when Sander let an ice ball slip through his legs the call goes not to Feyenoord but to Wacker.

I was the starting keeper for Waasenaar U14s before being ripped away from Europe to live in Canada.

Waasenaar sold to ADO Den Haag. From ADO to Go Ahead Eagles Deventer. Then a move to Wacker Munich where I would have met up with another young German protege Dietmar Hamann. Then I would get Willie Mackay as my agent and when Sander let an ice ball slip through his legs the call goes not to Feyenoord but to Wacker.

And I thought I had been drinking.

NP you are a legend.

I was a hugely promising right winger if you all MUST know. I had been called up to the national youth development program when a physio told me I needed an ankle-op. Drugs, alcohol and girls took over after that, but there's no way I ever had the commitment or desire to really go for it.

Well I'm the typical 'almost' story. I played for Bristol schools, in centre midfield with Tommy Docherty (captained Bristol City before going to QPR) an Aaron Brown who plays for City. I represented the Gloucester FA at under 18 and 19 level and had been watched by several clubs (apparently including Tranmere and Crewe) but suffered terrible problems with my knees. I tore the cruciate legimants in my laft knee 3 times in 18 months.

Didn't play for any kind of team until I was 13, I was playing semi-pro at 17 and just about managing to keep away from fags, drugs and booze enough to play well. Then I broke my leg and I let them get in the way. Then I started playing again, then after 10 games I broke my leg again. I retired at 21.

It's a sad story I know. But in fairness I had some very good times on booze and drugs that football would have cruelly stolen from me at a young age.

Do you think you have (had) the ability to play at a decent level?

I know this will lead to the inevitable 'almost' stories but do any of you feel you had the talent/ability to have made a living from football?

And do you think (dreams not allowed) you could have ever played for Liverpool?

My fantastic career is still going on. Currently in the Swedish 7th division.

Didn't play for any kind of team until I was 13, I was playing semi-pro at 17 and just about managing to keep away from fags, drugs and booze enough to play well. Then I broke my leg and I let them get in the way. Then I started playing again, then after 10 games I broke my leg again. I retired at 21.

It's a sad story I know. But in fairness I had some very good times on booze and drugs that football would have cruelly stolen from me at a young age.

I decided that I was better at drugs and booze than football.

I still have semi pro clubs asking me to sign for them but the honest truth is (and this is where you can all take the royal piss out of me) I believe thats below me. I really believe I should be playing pro but realise I sound like loveboy.

I still have semi pro clubs asking me to sign for them but the honest truth is (and this is where you can all take the royal piss out of me) I believe thats below me. I really believe I should be playing pro but realise I sound like loveboy.

Give them a hiding. Get discovered. Play for Liverpool.

was at wrexham as a kid and my claim to fame is coming on for Paul Mcgrath for Villa reserves as a youth player, went to bury and chester but was too slow to make the grade.

then discovered the quad, shellys and the hac and that was the end of that

was at wrexham as a kid and my claim to fame is coming on for Paul Mcgrath for Villa reserves as a youth player, went to bury and chester but was too slow to make the grade.

then discovered the quad, shellys and the hac and that was the end of that

you still play to any standard now mate?

No, I played decent amateur for a while but was in a bit of period where socially eveything and everyone I knew was out all weekend. It peaked when I fell aleep during a match on the wing. I gave it up for a couple of years and never really picked it back up.

Now I just play in a 7 aside league with some mates that I really enjoy. its half serious but its more about breaking up the week, meeting up with mates and having a few beers after.

No, I played decent amateur for a while but was in a bit of period where socially eveything and everyone I knew was out all weekend. It peaked when I fell aleep during a match on the wing. I gave it up for a couple of years and never really picked it back up.

Now I just play in a 7 aside league with some mates that I really enjoy. its half serious but its more about breaking up the week, meeting up with mates and having a few beers after.

I know what you mean. I still have semi pro clubs asking me to sign for them but prefer to play with mates and have a laugh and a beer with them.

My skills stand comparison with some of the best known players of recent years.

Specifically, I can tackle like Marcello Gallardo, pass like Frank Sinclair, am blessed with the pace of Laurent Blanc and the finishing skills of Ali Dia. I am comfortably the worst footballer I've ever seen.

I was playing my football in the street of Bangkok when the Reds visited Thailand in 1983. If only the team coach had passed by and Bob Paisley had seen me I would have had a chance to join the youth team and come through the rank and made my appearance in the 1988 squad!

A guy I used to work with was signed by West Ham at 15, had every club in the country after him, apparently he was unbelievable (heard that from other people about him) the week before he went over he lined out in a friendly for his clubs' senior side, went in for a one one one with the other team's keeper and shattered his leg in 4 places. Never played football again and still has no feeling in two of his toes.

Hard to recover from that sort of shit.