You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite Foreign Teams

Street Preacher

I like Milan from their days of the three Dutchmen and the Baresi/Costacurta/Maldini defence. However, there's only really one foreign club for me: Barca - "More than a club".

I'd love us to be run on their model. Imagine if you could get all those people who turned up to see the European Cup parade to become members. £100 a year membership = £100m a year income before gates/TV/sponsorship are taken into account. But better than that would be the increased sense of belonging, knowing that you had a direct say in the running of Liverpool.

The grandest gesture David Moores could ever make would be to give the club to its members.

It would also potentially earn him the most money, fans won’t think of the price but of the emotional attachment they have with the club. The likes of Morgan and Parry could contest the leadership every 4 years and everyone would be held to account. Fans who moan could be told to become members and vote at the next election. There would also be an urgency to capitalise on commercial aspects as a lot of fans will demand it. But most of all Paul, can you imagine the ticket office being as it is if fans owned the club? Can you imagine the stadium taking so long?

Football is a business like no other, the fans owning the club and voting on how it is run (obviously with a solid constitution so there is no revolt) would be perfect.

By the way Steve Morgan tried something like that in one of his bids for the club and some fans called him named because he wasn't 'coughing up' himself.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I think we scored 4 or more on more than 6 occassions that season in the league".

When I was at school 11 was more than 6- ;)

However, since I was at school I've forgotten how to spell "occasions".

Kinell, I was just adding weight to your argument!

Fiorentina for me...

i was trying to think who it was for me, because nowadays i dont have a foreign team, but when football italia was on 4, it was defo Fiorentina for me.

Rui Costa, Batigol (when he was awesome), and there were defo some ther quality players, but its friday morning and i cant think who. Nuno Gomes was good later on thinking about it.

Barca for me. The shirt I picked up this week for £12 in the sale is class. Half and half on the front with the badge then colours reversed on the back.

Yeah also Ajax, would love to see em back in the fold in Europe. Also another top kit

juve because of the link i had with them for the fans game in april.

roma because i went over there in 2001 and saw them thrash lecce 5-1

barca cos i went there over easter and love the city. plus they're one of the best teams in the world.

athletico bilbao because i've got cousins who live there and i went over there about 8 years ago.

hertha berlin cos i went to germany on a school trip and went to the olympic stadium. bought a replica home shirt online cos i didn't have enough money when i was there.

Being from Norway, Liverpool is my absolute favourite foreign team. But to add to the thread apart from my local team , IL Stålkameratene , i have always had a soft spot for teams with Liverpool connection. I liked Juve the season Rush played there. I like Dortmund too, despite my lack of appreciation for German football. But if i have to nail it down to one side it has to be...

Ayr United!

:yes:

i was trying to think who it was for me, because nowadays i dont have a foreign team, but when football italia was on 4, it was defo Fiorentina for me.

Rui Costa, Batigol (when he was awesome), and there were defo some ther quality players, but its friday morning and i cant think who. Nuno Gomes was good later on thinking about it.

Yep they are my fav team in italy. Other players where. Toldo,pedrag mjiazovich, De livio, Torrechllie.

haha exactly the same reason Toldo, batigol et al - that and the cool purple kit with the 7up sponsor.

Class!

Tampa Bay Rowdies.

(The Vancouver Whitecaps are still around and are getting a new stadium built, and the owners of the Toronto Maple Leafs and Raptors are going after an MLS franchise and building a soccer first stadium like the one in Columbus)

That is good news. For MLS to be around as long as it has, is impressive. I never thought that it would last. I actually miss the Fusion down here.

I can't believe they've been mentioned as little so far as they have, because for me they win by a fair distance.

AC Milan - simply because of what the fans did in 1989. Still sends a shiver down my back to think about that. And that it was them we beat in the final made a perfect day even more perfect.

A distant second is Celtic, as I'm a good catholic lad, and Barca, as Rushian said - they are everything Madrid are not, and some of the players have been phenomenal!