You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

About spares

JustTosh

Everybody’s complaining about the ticket policy of the club. Nobody seems to do anything about it.

Today tickets are sold on by touts to tourists for £100 and more taking up places for real fans. The stands should be packed with people supporting the team, not by tourists who’s there only to experience the Anfield noise. Too many of those and there’ll be no Anfield noise.

Can we do anything about it? Not much I’m afraid, but we could try to do our own touting, only not taking a profit. Selling on available tickets to fellow fans face value would be supporting those who should really attend the matches. We already do that on here from time to time. Question is: Can we do more?

I’m a e-season ticket holder at the offal myself. For every home game there’s a ballot with a chance to “win” access to two seats. I’ll enter that ballot every week from now on. Living far away from Liverpool, it’s more than possible that I won’t be able to go. If so I’ll pass the tickets on here to another fan face value of course. I urge other fans on here to do the same.

You never know, one day you might be on the receiving end.

I know it’s not aloud to give or sell tickets to others. But as long as the club does nothing to stop the real touts, I for on have no second thoughts.

Are you happy to spend 30% less in the transfer market each year?

This is a question you need to ask yourself if you want the club to stop pandering to tourists.

A tourist isn't a tourist you know. You have the die-hard fan tourist whose heart is with the club. Every time there's a match on TV you'll find him in his local pub watching. Once in a while, maybe just once in a lifetime, he might be fulfilling his dream of actually being at Anfield. When you see him in the stands he's dressed in red and is singing and shouting to the best of his ability.

Then there's the tourist who’s heard of the atmosphere at Anfield. Money isn't a problem for him, so he goes. When you see him in the stands he might have a scarf or a red cap on. When everybody around him sings he's watching in awe. During the match he'll repeatedly talk to his tourist mate besides him, because he isn't all that interested in what's happening on the field.

Being amongst the first category I’d hope to be welcome at Anfield. I don’t know if I’ve deserved it, but for 30 years I’ve been a fan. The few times I’ve been able to actually attend games I’m shaking with excitement. I know very well I’m taking up one seat from one of you local guys. Then again I know the club wouldn’t be able to compete at the very top internationally without the worldwide support. As you say, you can’t have it both ways.

It should be possible to make access to Anfield for the first category tourist and still make it more difficult for the latter.

That aside. I see no interest in my offer. Maybe you lot don’t have any real problems getting tickets. It would be quite stupid of me buying tickets nobody wants.

Ta mate

It's a nice idea Tosh, and any time you want to pass on spare tickets I don't think you'll have a problem finding people on here to take them.

Ultimately, it won't stop the touts though.

Providing tickets to fellow fans want stop toputing but it would reduce ticket demand for the touts. A drop in the ocean I know, but still..

Stopping touts is easy. All you need to do is to print a name on the ticket and ID-control 20% of those passing the turnstiles. Distributing tickets to proper fans only is equally easy. Only sell tickets to fans with a fan card.

Problem is, I can't do anything about that, only the TO can.

The bottom line now is you cant buy a ticket without a fancard anymore, because, its sold out before it goes on General sale.

I have been very lucky with friends to help me out with tickets this season but did pay £60 for a £32 ticket last wednesday but having come over from Spain was acceptable to me.

I actually think the club is getting to grips with the issue and is why they came along with the Fancard and probably next season the tickets will have the fancard holders name on them, however i dont know who's name would be on the spare. but if you have one fan card for one ticket it should be quite easy to inspect the fancard and the ticket together. this should stop a lot of the touting

The bottom line now is you cant buy a ticket without a fancard anymore, because, its sold out before it goes on General sale.

I have been very lucky with friends to help me out with tickets this season but did pay £60 for a £32 ticket last wednesday but having come over from Spain was acceptable to me.

I actually think the club is getting to grips with the issue and is why they came along with the Fancard and probably next season the tickets will have the fancard holders name on them, however i dont know who's name would be on the spare. but if you have one fan card for one ticket it should be quite easy to inspect the fancard and the ticket together. this should stop a lot of the touting

Whats frustrating is that the touts do business less than 200 yards away from the ticket office, stewards and police !!! Why can no one stop it :wallbutt:

i know they do and in my case we walked uptowards the salisbury pub to do the transaction.

They're quite happy to shout 'any spares' and 'need tickets' in front of everyone but then have to go to a shady corner to do deal :no Best of luck to you though mate as long as you did'nt have to pay too high a price. A mate of mine bought a ticket from cockney tout for the carling cup final last year cost him £350 !! I know its a cup final but still !

Tosh - as Dave says,you won't have much difficulty passing spares on and I'm sure any help will be apreciated.

I'll probably "win" in the ballot every now and then. My idea was for more people to do the same. Then we'd have som spares for every game. One time you'd benefit, next time me, then another, get it?

My guess is that we're many on here living so far away from Anfield we can't go every weekend, but we can apply for tickets in the ballot.

Tosh

I'll probably "win" in the ballot every now and then. My idea was for more people to do the same. Then we'd have som spares for every game. One time you'd benefit, next time me, then another, get it?

My guess is that we're many on here living so far away from Anfield we can't go every weekend, but we can apply for tickets in the ballot.

Tosh

Other forums have ticket exchanges which work like this.

A few points:

• What is to stop someone on here buying your tickets and selling them on for more?
  • What is to stop a tout having 10 fan cards in different names and at different addresses?
  • The names on ticket idea will never work, its tried and tested world over and is always unsuccessful
  • The only way to stop touts is to collectively never buy from them no matter what

Point to Red Nick, coming over from Spain and being able to afford it are no excuse. I went to the Spurs game the other week, I booked the flight as soon as the fixtures came out, I never got a ticket, I went to the ground and tried to get one at face value, had no chance, I didn't go in. Went to the League Cup in 2001 with no ticket, got a spare from a lad outside 5 mins to kick off for face value.

I know there will always be someone willing to pay the extra from touts but at least I know I do my bit not to feed the industry. I don't even blame the touts, they are providing a service, its purely supply and demand, if there was no demand.........! In all honesty, I think the club do all they can except stop the tout agencies getting groups of tickets, they should be able to cut those supply lines.

Everybody’s complaining about the ticket policy of the club. Nobody seems to do anything about it.

Today tickets are sold on by touts to tourists for £100 and more taking up places for real fans. The stands should be packed with people supporting the team, not by tourists who’s there only to experience the Anfield noise. Too many of those and there’ll be no Anfield noise.

Can we do anything about it? Not much I’m afraid, but we could try to do our own touting, only not taking a profit. Selling on available tickets to fellow fans face value would be supporting those who should really attend the matches. We already do that on here from time to time. Question is: Can we do more?

I’m a e-season ticket holder at the offal myself. For every home game there’s a ballot with a chance to “win” access to two seats. I’ll enter that ballot every week from now on. Living far away from Liverpool, it’s more than possible that I won’t be able to go. If so I’ll pass the tickets on here to another fan face value of course. I urge other fans on here to do the same.

You never know, one day you might be on the receiving end.

I know it’s not aloud to give or sell tickets to others. But as long as the club does nothing to stop the real touts, I for on have no second thoughts.

So, did you get any in the ballot for the West Ham game? I would be happy to take them of your hand. I did get 2 tickets, but I'm organizing a trip with some mates and need 7 (5 more).

NB

I think it's a fine idea, but don't you think those who actually pays £50 for an e-season ticket is in the same category as the once who watch every game on telly? So in effect you are actually taking tickets from fans equal to yourself.

So, did you get any in the ballot for the West Ham game? I would be happy to take them of your hand. I did get 2 tickets, but I'm organizing a trip with some mates and need 7 (5 more).

NB

I think it's a fine idea, but don't you think those who actually pays £50 for an e-season ticket is in the same category as the once who watch every game on telly? So in effect you are actually taking tickets from fans equal to yourself.

Unsuccesful in the ballot I'm afraid.

Regarding your NB. Yes, you're probably right, it would be taking tickets away from other fans I suppose.

A few points:

• What is to stop someone on here buying your tickets and selling them on for more?
  • What is to stop a tout having 10 fan cards in different names and at different addresses?
  • The names on ticket idea will never work, its tried and tested world over and is always unsuccessful
  • The only way to stop touts is to collectively never buy from them no matter what

Point to Red Nick, coming over from Spain and being able to afford it are no excuse. I went to the Spurs game the other week, I booked the flight as soon as the fixtures came out, I never got a ticket, I went to the ground and tried to get one at face value, had no chance, I didn't go in. Went to the League Cup in 2001 with no ticket, got a spare from a lad outside 5 mins to kick off for face value.

I know there will always be someone willing to pay the extra from touts but at least I know I do my bit not to feed the industry. I don't even blame the touts, they are providing a service, its purely supply and demand, if there was no demand.........! In all honesty, I think the club do all they can except stop the tout agencies getting groups of tickets, they should be able to cut those supply lines.

1. There's no way to be 100% sure, but if I sold tickets to i.e. you, I'd be quite confident I hadn't sold it on to a tout.

2. I guess they could have 10 fancards or more.

3. Why would it never work? Your only argument seems to be it hasn't worked before? Should be quite easy to make it work actually, if the club really wanted it that way. You don't have to ID-control everybody at the turnstiles. If there's a 20% chance you'd be denied access to the ground, that could ruin the market for the touts.

4. I agree, but it obviously doesn't work that way, does it? I admire you for standing firm against the touts outside White Heart Lane. However, I can’t see many people doing the same as you after spending let’s say £300 for flight and accommodation. Most would fork out the £100 or so needed to get access to the ground. Moral standard isn’t higher than that I’m afraid.

And I absolutely don’t agree with you the club does all it can to stop the touts. As you say, they do nothing to stop the touting agencies, thus telling us it’s morally OK to buy tickets from them. And I really can’t see what they’re doing to stop the touts outside the ground. Then you have the packages which is legal, but still is touting. They say you pay face value for the ticket and £50 for the Snickers Bar they call lunch.

If I had to choose I’d buy from the tout outside the ground. The “legal” touts are worse. The moral thing to do is of course to reject any offer that’s not face value.

A better ticket policy could eliminate the problem. I’ve hundreds of ideas. If at travelling fan is willing to pay £100 for a ticket, let him do so, but let the club make the profit. But limit the availability so that local fans isn’t denied access.

Sorry for using so many words

1. There's no way to be 100% sure, but if I sold tickets to i.e. you, I'd be quite confident I hadn't sold it on to a tout.

2. I guess they could have 10 fancards or more.

3. Why would it never work? Your only argument seems to be it hasn't worked before? Should be quite easy to make it work actually, if the club really wanted it that way. You don't have to ID-control everybody at the turnstiles. If there's a 20% chance you'd be denied access to the ground, that could ruin the market for the touts.

4. I agree, but it obviously doesn't work that way, does it? I admire you for standing firm against the touts outside White Heart Lane. However, I can’t see many people doing the same as you after spending let’s say £300 for flight and accommodation. Most would fork out the £100 or so needed to get access to the ground. Moral standard isn’t higher than that I’m afraid.

And I absolutely don’t agree with you the club does all it can to stop the touts. As you say, they do nothing to stop the touting agencies, thus telling us it’s morally OK to buy tickets from them. And I really can’t see what they’re doing to stop the touts outside the ground. Then you have the packages which is legal, but still is touting. They say you pay face value for the ticket and £50 for the Snickers Bar they call lunch.

If I had to choose I’d buy from the tout outside the ground. The “legal” touts are worse. The moral thing to do is of course to reject any offer that’s not face value.

A better ticket policy could eliminate the problem. I’ve hundreds of ideas. If at travelling fan is willing to pay £100 for a ticket, let him do so, but let the club make the profit. But limit the availability so that local fans isn’t denied access.

Sorry for using so many words

Nice ideas mate but putting them into practice is a different thing. You really believe its as easy as turning people away if their name isn't on the ticket? What about corporate clients? What if you fall ill and can't go, you then can't give the ticket to a mate? Really, its a logistical nightmare, you would end up with so many people arguing at the turnstyles, people who have tickets and have paid for tickets! For the final in Istanbul, tickets issued by UEFA had names printed on them and were supposed to follow this policy (its designed to deter touts but all touts know they could never carry it out), incidentally, I got two tickets together from UEFA, both with my name on!

What I am saying about the club doing all they can is that they have introduced fan cards, its quite rare that tickets go on general sale now so its harder for touts to get hold of tickets. Its the tout agencies that p*ss me off cause the club could track the source of the vast number of tickets sold at huge increases by these agencies!

As for going the game and paying over the odds, I still don't agree, if you go without a ticket, you know there is a chance you won't get in, you should accept that and bite the bullet if you don't. You can't moan about touts and then say you would pay them, its like dealing smack and then complaining about the smackheads!

...if you go without a ticket, you know there is a chance you won't get in ....

Not paying over the odds, that must be the understatement of the month.

You can't moan about touts and then say you would pay them, its like dealing smack and then complaining about the smackheads!

Correct, then again not doing what I preach is something I do all the time. I believe we have so many tasks in my community a taxraise would be good. Still, every year I never pay moore than I have to. I believe we must reduce C2O-pollution. It doesn't stop me driving my car or flying over to Liverpoool for a visit. I could go on and on.

Btw I've never actuially said I'd pay (and thus support) the touts. I've never said it's OK to buy from them, so far I haven't had to (I've paid for a tour, touting in disguise imo). But I can see myself outside the ground desperately doing things I don't like. My God, maybe I'm not Jesus after all.

I agree with you introducing the fan-card the club's doing something. In the future it can be used to stop the touts even more. As I've told you I have hundreds of ideas.

The thing is mate, I have been to dozens of games without a ticket and have never paid over the odds (including cup finals), I have only ever not got in twice, Spurs this year and Charlton last game of the season 2001 being the most recent two, the other one was 1989. If you stand on a corner asking everyone who walks past for a ticket, sooner or later you will get one, the touts don't like you for it because they would normally take those tickets and sell them on but since when have we started worrying about what touts think?

The thing is mate, I have been to dozens of games without a ticket and have never paid over the odds (including cup finals), I have only ever not got in twice, Spurs this year and Charlton last game of the season 2001 being the most recent two, the other one was 1989. If you stand on a corner asking everyone who walks past for a ticket, sooner or later you will get one, the touts don't like you for it because they would normally take those tickets and sell them on but since when have we started worrying about what touts think?

I’d have thought it to be more difficult than that mate. I don’t have unlimited financial resources. I try to go once a year, and would’ve been gutted if I were to stand outside the ground without a ticket on my annual trip. I’ve got an understanding wife who knows this means a lot to me. But I wonder what she’d say if I came back home after spending our money and I told here I couldn’t go inside the ground because I couldn’t get a ticket. She’d probably divorce me, that is if she hadn’t already killed me ;-) Hats off for you though.

To solve the problem supporters and club must work together. They’ve just introduced the fan-card. Let’s give them a couple of years and then we’ll see if they use this opportunity to get rid of the touts once and for all. And I mean ALL touts, including the agencies in London AND the travel agencies selling packages.

Ta