You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

3 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Part 3 for those interested. Skip to 4:42 to avoid adverts. 

really good listen.

It’s almost impossible not to sympathise that the Palestinians have a justified grievance over the last 50 years or so.

That bit on the bus was horrible.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/10/26/palestine-activists-blockade-weapons-factories-protest/

Pro-Palestinian activists have blockaded weapons factories and occupied the roof of a warehouse in protest over the ongoing bombardment of Gaza, police have said.

The group targeted two factories in Leicester and another in Kent claiming “Israeli weaponry is produced across Britain”.

Demonstrators holding red and green flares were seen on top of a building and smashing the roof with sledgehammers while police officers tried to remove other protesters who chained themselves to gates.

Leicestershire Police said that officers were deployed to the factory following reports “protesters were attacking staff at the site”.

It comes after Israeli forces carried out a “shaping operation” in northern Gaza in what is widely believed to be a prelude to a much larger ground incursion.

During the disruption in Leicester, which was organised by the Palestine Action group, protesters stormed the roof of Howmet Fastening Systems in the Meridian Business Park and blockaded the entrance to UAV Tactical Systems (U-TacS).

The activists shared images of people on the roof of the factory on Twitter and wrote: “By shutting down the death merchants, they’ve prevented crucial parts for Israel’s war planes being used in the genocide of Gaza.”

It follows an incident last week at U-TacS in Leicester that involved Palestine Action, which has taken part in a number of protests against the company in the past two years.

The group said that Howmet was targeted because of its “proud boasts of the use of its fastening systems in building the F-35 Lightning II” and that its occupation of the roof will halt production of components needed to manufacture the jets.

Officers engaging with activists

A post on Howmet’s website states: “From nose to tail, Howmet Aerospace solutions are helping our customer meet aggressive weight, range and fuel efficiency targets and enabling the F-35 to do what other military aircraft can’t.”

U-TacS is a subsidiary of Elbit Systems UK, which in turn is a subsidiary of the Israel-based international defence electronics company Elbit Systems.

Leicestershire Police said that officers were called to Meridian Way “following a report of a number of protestors in the area who were reported to be attacking staff at the site”.

A spokesman added: “Officers attended where three persons were found at the location.

“No serious injuries have been reported.”

Two women, aged 62 and 26, and a man, aged 27, have been arrested in connection with the incident.

The force said that two people currently remain on the roof of the building and officers in the area are engaging with them.

Chief Insp Rich Muldoon said: “Police continue to support the right to peacefully protest but we will also continue to take immediate action where reports of anyone seeking to commit crime or damage property are made.”

The protests took place at the same time as activists 150 miles away in Kent blockaded the entrance to an Instro Precision factory.

About 100 people held up signs and stopped lorries entering the factory of the company, which is also owned by Elbit Systems.

Response to call for aid

The group shared two videos of the demonstration following the dawn protest, adding: “Over 100 people blocked both entrances to the Israeli-owned Elbit weapons factory in Kent.

“Across the country, people are rising up to shut down the production of weaponry.

“Palestine, we are with you!”

It is understood that multiple lorries and vans were turned away from the site, unable to make deliveries.

Among the protesters were trade unionists from the RMT (National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers), Unite and Independent Workers Union of Great Britain.

The actions came in response to a call for aid from Palestinian trade unions.

A spokesman for Kent Police said: “Officers are currently at the scene of a protest outside Discovery Park near Sandwich.”

Precision makes items for military forces around the world such as guided weapons systems, night vision goggles, thermal imaging sites for guns, and GPS and displays for armoured vehicles.

In 2021, four members of the Palestine Action group dressed in red boiler suits climbed onto the roof of the same Elbit factory in Leicester.

The occupation lasted six days and a total of 10 arrests were made for conspiracy to commit criminal damage and aggravated trespass.

6 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

He sounds like a fucking emo.

And, again, his insistence that the "only path to a just & lasting peace: an end to the occupation of Palestine." What, a rollback on 55 years of Israel occupation? Or what? No deal? Let the fighting and the deaths and the misery continue? No agreed settlement that both sides, save for the ideologues/extremists on both sides can live with? No compromise for the sake of humanity?

This is where being wedded to dogma gets you.

The Palestinians want justice. We all know about waiting decades for Justice don’t we?

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

The Palestinians want justice. We all know about waiting decades for Justice don’t we?

I'm sure they do, as would I, although I'm also sure that different Palestinians would have different ideas about what justice entails, and what priority they would give to it right now.

Like you and Corbyn, I'm no spokesman for them and can't pretend to know what they all want, but I do know that the road to justice and the complete rolling back of the decades-long occupation is met with a big fucking obstacle called Israel and its numerous allies in the west (and increasingly in the Arab world - see how Saudi Arabia have developed relations in recent years. Some have argued it's this normalising of relations in the Arab world with Israel that led to the Hamas attacks). That's not how I would like it, but that's the stone-cold fact.

All I'm saying, which some here seem to take objection to, is to inject a bit of reality into the situation and look at the possibility of a compromise that works for both sides, that Palestinians can be happy with, instead of us proclaiming from our armchairs thousands of miles away how peace there is only possible if...

Let them fucking decide on what terms peace is possible. If they're content with less than what Corbyn wants so be it. And, yeah, I do realise they have no effective representation right now, but that's another headache to deal with.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Denny Crane said:

The Palestinian health ministry have compiled a 206 page report with names and IDs of those killed in Gaza totalling 7028.

This looks like it has been made available following Bidens comments of -- I have no confidence in the numbers the Palestinians are using. 

There are so many disgusting things from politicians and media daily it's almost possible to keep track. 

I've never been a conspiracy theorist and I generally think governments are incompetent. But when it comes to geopolitics and military they're not. They're highly competent,  They're exactly  calculated and horrendously evil.

And it overrides everything. You can't pretend to want to improve the life of poor Doris or a young person at home, or stand for anything at all really, when you knowingly ignore the equal lives of others for some bullshit global chess game

31 minutes ago, etho said:

There are so many disgusting things from politicians and media daily it's almost possible to keep track. 

I've never been a conspiracy theorist and I generally think governments are incompetent. But when it comes to geopolitics and military they're not. They're highly competent,  They're exactly  calculated and horrendously evil.

And it overrides everything. You can't pretend to want to improve the life of poor Doris or a young person at home, or stand for anything at all really, when you knowingly ignore the equal lives of others for some bullshit global chess game

its a high stakes chess game based on (partly) scarcity of resources and too many people.

6 hours ago, Jack the Sipper said:

I'm sure they do, as would I, although I'm also sure that different Palestinians would have different ideas about what justice entails, and what priority they would give to it right now.

Like you and Corbyn, I'm no spokesman for them and can't pretend to know what they all want, but I do know that the road to justice and the complete rolling back of the decades-long occupation is met with a big fucking obstacle called Israel and its numerous allies in the west (and increasingly in the Arab world - see how Saudi Arabia have developed relations in recent years. Some have argued it's this normalising of relations in the Arab world with Israel that led to the Hamas attacks). That's not how I would like it, but that's the stone-cold fact.

All I'm saying, which some here seem to take objection to, is to inject a bit of reality into the situation and look at the possibility of a compromise that works for both sides, that Palestinians can be happy with, instead of us proclaiming from our armchairs thousands of miles away how peace there is only possible if...

Let them fucking decide on what terms peace is possible. If they're content with less than what Corbyn wants so be it. And, yeah, I do realise they have no effective representation right now, but that's another headache to deal with.

Hang on, this twat earlier was having a go at Corbyn for posting a call to action (cease-fire) then this yahoo who slagged it off posts this load of absolute fucking bollocks. 

I think people who don't have a fucking clue need to shut up. 

Like I've said, let's see what happens in the West Bank. 

Jack the slipper is a fucking muppet. 

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Anubis said:

Probably one of the most bizarre things I’ve seen all day is a Sky interview with an IDF officer who insists they’re not bombarding Gaza. Hmmmm.

I believe the IDF officer is from North London.