You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arne Slot

All bad jokes aside (mine especially!) this fella is taking over the strongest squad any new Liverpool manager has had in decades. While I'm sure FSG will try to sell off some of the players he wants to keep he still should have an excellent squad with which to compete. But we'll soon know how much of this is down to Klopp and his team. 

PS,I wonder if he'll off Lijnders a role?

5 hours ago, luxury_scruff said:

I'm getting bad vibes about this appointment.

It's too soon for him, and it's being driven by an over-confident Michael Edwards.

I hope it is being driven by Michael Edwards. That’s his job.

Is it too soon? He’s two years younger than Klopp was when he joined. He won’t have spent so long as a manager (eight years rather than 14) but if “Has been managing for ages” was a guarantee of success then we’d all currently be wailing over Hodgson’s retirement. 
There was a lot of excitement about Amorim; by just about every barometer which matters to me I think Slot looks like a better choice.

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Let’s hope he’s more Guus Hiddink than Martin Jol 

Let's hope he's better than Hiddink

Outside of Holland he's only won the world club cup and 1 FA Cup

I watched Feyenoord last night and it was infinitely more exciting than watching Sporting, as I have done recently.

Whether that translates to success here is another matter but I don’t want to lose that front foot football that has become synonymous with us under Kloppo. Looking at how they played, we’ll continue in a similar vein and I like that. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Lee909 said:

Let's hope he's better than Hiddink

Outside of Holland he's only won the world club cup and 1 FA Cup

Well I’ll be delighted if he wins the world club cup 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Well I’ll be delighted if he wins the world club cup 

Yeah but that's cause he will have won the champions league the year before. Hiddink didn't last 8 months in the job

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

I watched Feyenoord last night and it was infinitely more exciting than watching Sporting, as I have done recently.

Whether that translates to success here is another matter but I don’t want to lose that front foot football that has become synonymous with us under Kloppo. Looking at how they played, we’ll continue in a similar vein and I like that. 

To be honest I was quite looking forward to some defensive solidity and hard work out of possession. I love Klopp and all he's done for us but the high risk / high reward style of play has made watching us very stressful. Even earlier in the season when we were on a good run I was barely enjoying the games because we were always one misplaced pass from conceding a goal. As happened at Old Trafford.

I can see why we didn't go for Amorim though. I think he would have required a lot more turnover in the squad. Sporting rely loads on extremely fast wing backs and outer centre backs, Geny and St Juste in particular are absolutely rapid. I think he'd have taken one look at Trent's work out of possession and thought, nah, this lad can't play wingback for me. For his ideal squad we'd have needed to sign backup wingbacks as well simply because of the ground they'd cover and the amount of games we play. We'd also have no playing time for many of the centre mids. Szoboszlai, Elliott, Jones, Mac Allister and maybe Trent competing for one spot alongside a proper holding mid, and we probably want to strengthen that holding midfield position as well. Diaz might not have fitted either because the wide players in Amorim's front three are more like number 10s than wingers. So you'd be looking at 8-10 deals to be done for a manager and playing style that might turn out to be useless at Premier League level.

Slot seems like a bit less of a gamble in that regard because his playing style is more similar to Klopp's. But the risk for me is that he's even less proven because the Dutch league is fucking garbage. What I've seen of his Feyenoord side, it looks like they rely on quick incisive passing in and around the penalty box, even against teams that defend deep. You can't do that so much in the Premier League, the players are so much bigger and quicker that the spaces Feyenoord typically try and open up often will not exist. Also the talk of his pressing system being man-to-man and extending over the whole pitch doesn't sound good, it doesn't seem to work that well in the Premier League, Leeds conceded shitloads when they played like that under Bielsa. There are so many games in English football, no squad can keep it up for 90 minutes three times a week, not when you're up against extremely physical opponents and shite refs. Even Abu Dhabi, with their infinite money and manager who both loves Bielsa and is no stranger to PEDs, don't play that way.

I dunno what the answer is though. I'm sort of pinning my hopes more on Hughes being able to sign the sort of players Edwards was signing in 2017 and 2018 instead of the sort of players we've been signing recently. If we got one or two really fucking excellent first team players in this summer, whoever the manager is will matter a lot less.

4 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

To be honest I was quite looking forward to some defensive solidity and hard work out of possession. I love Klopp and all he's done for us but the high risk / high reward style of play has made watching us very stressful. Even earlier in the season when we were on a good run I was barely enjoying the games because we were always one misplaced pass from conceding a goal. As happened at Old Trafford.

Yeah I would love some defensive solidarity. That and big fuckin strong , skilful defensive midfielder, not going to happen though.

2 hours ago, Ron B said:

I hope it is being driven by Michael Edwards. That’s his job.

Is it too soon? He’s two years younger than Klopp was when he joined. He won’t have spent so long as a manager (eight years rather than 14) but if “Has been managing for ages” was a guarantee of success then we’d all currently be wailing over Hodgson’s retirement. 
There was a lot of excitement about Amorim; by just about every barometer which matters to me I think Slot looks like a better choice.

From the outside, he comes from quite a weak league (even Klopp took a while to get used to just how intense it is here, against smaller clubs and in the cup against lower league teams), and he has done far less than Klopp in Europe, who arrived having been in a final. So it would be irrational for fans not to be concerned.

On the positive side, it sounds like he plays good football, although the greater pace and intensity here will probably lead to him either adjusting over time or, like Klopp, contend with a squad struggling with exhaustion and injury on a chronic basis. 

I guess it hinges on how trusting we are of the club doing its due diligence. He could be a place holder for Alonso, but that begs so many questions that it seems way too much of a gamble, so one can only hope that they really do think he has the right potential to succeed, and suceed pretty quickly, here.

5 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

From the outside, he comes from quite a weak league (even Klopp took a while to get used to just how intense it is here, against smaller clubs and in the cup against lower league teams), and he has done far less than Klopp in Europe, who arrived having been in a final. So it would be irrational for fans not to be concerned.

On the positive side, it sounds like he plays good football, although the greater pace and intensity here will probably lead to him either adjusting over time or, like Klopp, contend with a squad struggling with exhaustion and injury on a chronic basis. 

I guess it hinges on how trusting we are of the club doing its due diligence. He could be a place holder for Alonso, but that begs so many questions that it seems way too much of a gamble, so one can only hope that they really do think he has the right potential to succeed, and suceed pretty quickly, here.

Agree with all this, it looks like he's the best option from a particularly shite bunch.

25 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I was reading about his training methods and he seems on top of this. To stop exhaustion in training he shortens the pitch so there is less distance to cover and the players don't exhert themselves too far.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

All bad jokes aside (mine especially!) this fella is taking over the strongest squad any new Liverpool manager has had in decades. While I'm sure FSG will try to sell off some of the players he wants to keep he still should have an excellent squad with which to compete. But we'll soon know how much of this is down to Klopp and his team. 

PS,I wonder if he'll off Lijnders a role?

I don’t know if he is any good but he is taking over a club/squad that is the strongest anyone has had since Kenny left us in the early 90s every manger since has had to rebuild or walk into a shitshow.We been shite this past few weeks but the building blocks for a side are there 

54 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

that would be asking for trouble, be like Roy and Ged as co managers to see how it goes.

Xabi isnt coming, if he does well at Bayer for another year or so its off to Madrid.

8 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Just get it done . At least the fella is keen to take it on

If Amorim was trying to be a clever arse going to see West Ham he just ended up fucking himself