You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ruben Amorim

10 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I just don't understand what good there was for Klopp to announce early - and I mean within the club as well. Pretty sure it hasn't given the club a head start in getting in a new manager, if anything it has made that harder imo and at a time when we were already busy filling the front office with guys who had cleaned their desks out a year or two before.

And I don't get why that would be better for Klopp personally other than getting the weight off his shoulders earlier. Each aspect of it seems to have back fired.

The club would have been doing the analytical side from the point he told them up until (and beyond) now but theirs far more work that goes in to the appointment than that and at some point the club needed to start work on the character profiles of any manager.

Where the data side is in house and can be controlled the character side involves speaking to people outside the club and if you're doing investigative work on managers while Klopp is seemingly locked in for the next two years then it'll raise questions.

I think Klopps announcement was in part to control the story and also to allow them to start that character work.

42 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The club would have been doing the analytical side from the point he told them up until (and beyond) now but theirs far more work that goes in to the appointment than that and at some point the club needed to start work on the character profiles of any manager.

Where the data side is in house and can be controlled the character side involves speaking to people outside the club and if you're doing investigative work on managers while Klopp is seemingly locked in for the next two years then it'll raise questions.

I think Klopps announcement was in part to control the story and also to allow them to start that character work.

Say “Character” one more time and Brendan Rodgers will show up and chuck his frumpy ex Mrs at you.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, KMD7 said:

TAW did a podcast about him with the Portuguese sports writer Miguel Pereira last week if anyone fancies a listen.  

Link

Can't you tell me what he said?

On 18/04/2024 at 17:54, TD_LFC said:

Cheers for posting this, interesting video. 

My main issue with Amorim was where to play Trent. However, as seems the right full back bombs on, the left full back stays deeper and provides more shape, that allays some fears, I’m sure we can work that out. 

However it has raised another concern. I’m fine with the 3 at the back approach, I think we might need something new to get through to the players, however, I would assume in our 3, VVD would be at the centre of the 3. During his entire time here, VVD has been the last line of defence, Konate / Matip might go for a mazy run, apart from set pieces, VVD never goes forwards. Ever.

Would we be expecting VVD to step into midfield like Coates has been for Sporting? VVD is very good on the ball (unless he’s significantly improved in the past 12 years, VVD is much better than Coates on the ball, although I’ve never seen VVD scissor kick one in…) and great recovery pace, would we be happy for him to roam a little more with the insurance of 2 centre backs behind him? 

I don’t know anything about Diomande or Inácio, how do Konate, Gomez and Quansah compare to comfort on the ball? 

I think the rest of the set up makes sense. I do think we’d need a full time, first choice #6. 

Having a front 3 of an attacking midfielder, tricky winger and striker makes sense for us. IMO, if he was to go, Diaz wouldn’t need replacing as Szoboszlai or Gakpo (there is a playing in Gakpo) could fill in there. I think Nunez would benefit from running channels more - he’s strong and fast and might play to his strengths more. 

In the grand scheme of things, maybe these points are all relatively minor. We were never going to get somebody to exactly mirror Klopp in every sense and a little shake up is likely needed. 

5 hours ago, Scott_M said:

My main issue with Amorim was where to play Trent. However, as seems the right full back bombs on, the left full back stays deeper and provides more shape, that allays some fears, I’m sure we can work that out. 

The issue will still be Trent wanting to play Central and not do the running required. Amorim style there will require him to get back and defend if the initial press fails and stay pretty wide. Things he seemingly doesn't want to do anymore. 

I don’t know anything about Diomande or Inácio, how do Konate, Gomez and Quansah compare to comfort on the ball? 

Inacio is a left sided CB and has one of the best stats in Europe's top 5 leagues for passing and progressive passing. Diomande plays in Konates position. He looks a massive talent but is still pretty error prone and was dropped as a starter by the ivory coast during AFCON in January. 

Nunez fits the role ok, but I'd be concerned at his ability to hold the ball up like Gyökeres can and not sure his link up play or finishing are reliable enough. Someone like Osimhen would be perfect, thoughdoubt we pay the fee,and PSG want him) to get him especially as he's peak age 25 now

• Upvote 1

Cheers for posting this, interesting video. 

Every defender in our squad is a better player than Coates. Personally I do not see Van Dijk changing much under any system and I think it is down to Trent to prove his worth in whatever position he is played. If he can't he doesn't get on the field under any manager.

Nunez can't hold up traffic. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Arne Slot the latest name..no thanks. Bald beyond bald don't want Ten Haag mark 2.

I'm a little concerned Edwards is going to try and play like he's super smart and employs a fucking Yakult for its potential.

'Super smart'.

No.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The issue will still be Trent wanting to play Central and not do the running required. Amorim style there will require him to get back and defend if the initial press fails and stay pretty wide. Things he seemingly doesn't want to do anymore. 

That reads more like a Trent problem than an Amorim problem to me. 

I’m also not sure I agree. It doesn’t read massively different to his role now. 

Inacio is a left sided CB and has one of the best stats in Europe's top 5 leagues for passing and progressive passing. Diomande plays in Konates position. He looks a massive talent but is still pretty error prone and was dropped as a starter by the ivory coast during AFCON in January. 

If it is Amorim, I’d be very surprised if we didn’t look to go for a left sided centre back of some description. 

Nunez fits the role ok, but I'd be concerned at his ability to hold the ball up like Gyökeres can and not sure his link up play or finishing are reliable enough. 

Nunez’s hold up play has improved immeasurably since we signed him. Apart from his finishing, there aren’t many weaknesses to his game. 

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Every defender in our squad is a better player than Coates. Personally I do not see Van Dijk changing much under any system and I think it is down to Trent to prove his worth in whatever position he is played. If he can't he doesn't get on the field under any manager.

Nunez can't hold up traffic. 

Yeah, I think from writing down my concern about VVD in 3 pushing on, I managed to convince myself it wasn’t a problem. 

VVD is great on the ball, he’s got the pace to get back and we’d still have the pace of Konate, Gomez and whoever else behind him.

It’s just a bit different to what we currently do. 

VVD plays in a 3 for the Dutch, I’m sure he’s used to the minor concerns / differences I’m thinking through. 

Agree on Trent. He’s the one player who I immediately don’t think fits in 3-4-3, however, I’m sure he’s good enough to turn his hand to whatever role he’s given. 

If it’s Amorim then we will need two centre halves a new defensive midfielder and an attacker, two if Salah goes. I hope though he takes a look at Morton because I like that kid, and you never know he might do something with Carvalho other than sell him.

That reads more like a Trent problem than an Amorim problem to me. 

I’m also not sure I agree. It doesn’t read massively different to his role now. 

If it is Amorim, I’d be very surprised if we didn’t look to go for a left sided centre back of some description. 

Nunez’s hold up play has improved immeasurably since we signed him. Apart from his finishing, there aren’t many weaknesses to his game. 

Just that one minor flaw for our striker then…