You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Title Race

3 hours ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Jota might lead us to the title. We create so much that any decent finisher will get goals. Jota is world class imo. We just need him to stay fit.

I always felt that he would be crucial on his return and the last few games have highlighted our wastefullness and how a sharp shooter like him is going to make a difference.

Him and Macca linking up is a beautiful thought.

I think he could be crucial for these away games coming up

There is a lot of talk about our attack, but our attack is not the problem, our defense is.

Lets look at the best league seasons under Klopp.

18/19: 2. 38 30 7 1 89-22 97p

19/20: 1. 38 32 3 3 85-33 99p

21/22: 2. 38 28 8 2 94-26 92p

——————————

23/24: 2. 31 21 8 2 72-30 71p

Its all very understandable as well, lets take a look at our defenders and goalkeepers and how many changes we have needed to do because of fitness and injuries. 

We have played 31 games in the league so far, Van Dijk is the one with most starts with 29 out of 31. 

Starts in the league:

Van Dijk 29 out of 31

Alisson 21 out of 31

Alexander-Arnold 19 out of 31

Gomez 16 out of 31

Konate 15 out of 31

——————-

Robertson 12 out of 31

Kelleher 10 out of 31

Matip 9 out of 31

Bradley 9 out of 31

Tsimikas 8 out of 31

Quansah 8 out of 31

If we compare this with Arsenal it looks like this for them

Saliba 31 out of 31

White 28 out of 31

Gabriel 27 out of 31

Raya 25 out of 31

Zinchenko 19 out of 31

——————

Kiwior 10 out of 31

Ramsdale 6 out of 31

Tomiyasu 5 out of 31

Timber 1 out of 31

We have been forced to do changes all over our backline all season, while for Arsenal, well they have basically played consistently with 4 out of 5 including the keeper all season and only been forced to changes at leftback due to injuries. 

Thats a huge positive when it comes to form an understanding between the players. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Code said:

There is a lot of talk about our attack, but our attack is not the problem, our defense is.

Lets look at the best league seasons under Klopp.

18/19: 2. 38 30 7 1 89-22 97p

19/20: 1. 38 32 3 3 85-33 99p

21/22: 2. 38 28 8 2 94-26 92p

——————————

23/24: 2. 31 21 8 2 72-30 71p

Its all very understandable as well, lets take a look at our defenders and goalkeepers and how many changes we have needed to do because of fitness and injuries. 

We have played 31 games in the league so far, Van Dijk is the one with most starts with 29 out of 31. 

Starts in the league:

Van Dijk 29 out of 31

Alisson 21 out of 31

Alexander-Arnold 19 out of 31

Gomez 16 out of 31

Konate 15 out of 31

——————-

Robertson 12 out of 31

Kelleher 10 out of 31

Matip 9 out of 31

Bradley 9 out of 31

Tsimikas 8 out of 31

Quansah 8 out of 31

If we compare this with Arsenal it looks like this for them

Saliba 31 out of 31

White 28 out of 31

Gabriel 27 out of 31

Raya 25 out of 31

Zinchenko 19 out of 31

——————

Kiwior 10 out of 31

Ramsdale 6 out of 31

Tomiyasu 5 out of 31

Timber 1 out of 31

We haven't been good enough in both boxes. It's not blame someone or something that's not connected to Salah. Yesterday is the perfect example. We should be 4 up by half time with the game dead. That's on the attack. Then we give away 2 fucking stupid goals. That's on the defence. It's been the same all season. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Dapower said:

I think he could be crucial for these away games coming up

That's exactly it.

You can see nearly all four of the away games being tight affairs and he is one of the most clinical players in the game imo. I'm also worried about Spurs - they're genuinely a Russian Roulette team that can be shite or world class on a given day. I've no doubt they will take points off one of the three, but possibly all of us. 

Of course, without going back over previous points, if we create that level of chances in the coming games, there is a chance we could hit a team for six or seven. My best mate is an old school Blue and he actually said that to me this morning - he said our game with them could be like the Rush 5-0 game. Being honest, I'd taken any kind of three points there but we have a better chance of puting games to bed with Jota. I've no doubt if he was on the pitch against City, we would have won, while yesterday would have been over by half time. 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I'm also worried about Spurs - they're genuinely a Russian Roulette team that can be shite or world class on a given day. I've no doubt they will take points off one of the three, but possibly all of us. 

Its too far ahead but I am already dreading that game at Anfield. They are perfect for the quick counter attacks which they will do time and time again at Anfield. 

But they also almost always concede.

15 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Its too far ahead but I am already dreading that game at Anfield. They are perfect for the quick counter attacks which they will do time and time again at Anfield. 

But they also almost always concede.

Yeah me too. It's a bit like the game yesterday where we could hammer them of a given day or we could stupidly drop points.

Hopefully they use up a bit of energy before they play us.

Wonder when that City-Spurs game will be re-arranged for?

18 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah me too. It's a bit like the game yesterday where we could hammer them of a given day or we could stupidly drop points.

Hopefully they use up a bit of energy before they play us.

Wonder when that City-Spurs game will be re-arranged for?

Im hoping when it is Spurs are still battling for 4th

5 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

We only have a single 1-0 victory this season and have conceded in 22 of our 31 games.

I don’t see how you win the title doing that.

Normally you don't. The team has so many flaws it's incredible we are where we are but we are joint top with 7 games to go and a genius manager.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

We only have a single 1-0 victory this season and have conceded in 22 of our 31 games.

That sounds a wee bit like my 2013-14 season says Bren

21 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Maybe not based on probability, but based on the way they are playing it feels possible.

Every spell has an end. They won’t win everything, you just can’t do that with pressure, tiredness and Champions League. 

Arsenal have only conceded four goals in 2024 but their xG conceded is a lot higher than that.

Nerds with spreadsheets know fuck all about football, etc, but what I’m saying is, they are benefiting hugely from their opponents being shit at finishing recently. If they get a couple of injuries and start conceding goals again, things will get interesting.

Arsenal last games: 

14/4: Aston Villa home ( lost 1-0)

20/4: Wolves away (won 2-1)

23/4: Chelsea home ( 2-2 draw)

28/4: Tottenham away ( 2-2 draw)

04/5: Bournemouth home ( 4-0 win)

11/5: Man Utd away ( 3-1 win)

19/5: Everton home ( 1-0 win)

In the opposing fixtures Arsenal won 4 games, got 2 draws and 1 loss.

Man City last games:

13/4: Luton home ( 2-1 win)

25/4: Brighton away (2-1 win)

28/4: Nottingham away (2-0 win)

04/5: Wolves home (2-1 loss)

11/5: Fulham away (5-1 win)

19/5 West Ham home (3-1 win)

Tottenham away (3-3 draw)

In the opposing fixtures City won 5 games, got 1 draw and 1 loss.

Liverpool last games:

14/4: Crystal Palace home (2-1 win)

21/4: Fulham away (4-3 win)

24/4: Everton away (2-0 win)

27/4 West Ham away (3-1 win)

05/5: Tottenham home (2-1 loss, robbery of a lifetime)

11/5: Aston Villa away (3-0 win)

19/5: Wolves home (3-1 win)

In the opposing fixtures we won all our games apart from the scandal against Tottenham. 

• Upvote 1

24 hours later, I feel much better. Was really devastated yesterday but I think we win all our remaining games now and I don't see the other 2 doing that. We've got our dropped points out of the way, City and Arsenal still have theirs to come. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Kevin D said:

We have won 21 of our 31 games same as City and one fewer than Arsenal).

I do see how you win the title doing that.

Like Paul said on the pod we need the big players back as soon as possible ie Alisson, Trent and Jota then we have a big chance. We've done incredibly well to cope during their combined absences but it will give the team a huge lift having them back for the final games. Hopefully Mo will start coming good again.

Pissed off at Konate for playing that friendly for France. 

• Upvote 1

Having calmed down after yesterday, I think we still have a pretty good chance. It would have been even better being in the driver's seat, but as many others have said, our rivals are not out of sight, and both of them have equally as hectic a schedule as us (if not more given the importance of the CL).

I still think City will be the toughest nut to crack, as the return of de Bruyne and Haaland will give them that extra bit of match-winning quality. I don't think Haaland has improved them much as a team (if at all), but the link up with de Bruyne is unfortunately lethal. 

I see people (especially 3stacks) are really impressed with Arsenal. I don't underestimate them, but their run is based on overplaying key players over an extended period of time. Only Virgil (who is a player renowned for his avoidance of injury) has racked up minutes similar to Saliba, Gabriel, White, Rice, Odegaard and Saka. I can easily see 2 or 3 of those having niggles in the coming weeks, and it won't take much to get them out of rhtyhm once they have to break up that base. Would be nice if one or two of the refs in the league would reign in on their ridiculously aggressive defending and attacking at set pieces, but I guess that's a bit too much to hope for.

I can see us winning 6 of the last 7, but I'm a bit afraid of the Everton (a)  games given the lack of rest that week. We will probably need to rest some of our key players in that one, leaving us vulnerable. I've maintained since the Arsenal defeat that Spurs at home is our hardest remaining game, but the same is true for Arsenal and not least City (who haven't won at Tottenham's new ground in the league yet). Let's hope Spurs put up a better effort in front of their home supporters than when away to us...

If I had to guess now, I'd lean towards these results:

Palace (h)  Win - think this will be relatively routine

Fulham (a) Win - First of a tough week. Think this will be tight, but doable

Everton (a) Draw - Will be tough on two days rest. Might have to rotate a bit.

West Ham (a) Win - If we play all our starters at Goodison, this might be the toughest. Not all our players will start all 3 games this week.

Spurs (h) Win - The toughest remaining game in isolation, but we should be rested and ready. Will need to be clinical.

Villa (a) Win - Villa and Spurs will both hopefully be assured of a CL place by this time. Second toughest game in isolation

Wolves (h) Win - We will find a way to win, but probably not without drama.

90 pts for us, I think both our rivals will end up with a better GD than us, so for us to win it with our results, we will need both City and Spurs to drop points.

The Spurs game away for both teams seems the most obvious one. I think both of them will struggle the weekend after their second QF leg in the CL. Other than that I'm struggling to see big obstacles for them if they keep their best personnel fit. I think Arsenal especially will be extremely lucky to keep all their players fit and fresh given what they have already put them through.

Anyway, I am still optimistic! Put me in the nerveless big dog category as well!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4