You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

2 hours ago, dave u said:

Kind of agree, but who would the statement signing be though? With Arsenal it was blatantly obvious what position they needed to strengthen and that Rice was the ideal player for them to go for.

It's not that clear cut for us in terms of position or player. I don't think we'll be making any 'splash' signing. I don't think we'll do much at all in fact, but what we do will be seen as 'shrewd' rather than 'statement'.

Positions we need to upgrade? I think we need multiple. Jarell quansah until the last couple of weeks was our main center back. And we know konate can't stay fit and matip is leaving. So we must buy a quality centre back. Endo isn't a good enough 6 for your first team. We must upgrade there. And we'll lose a forward and whoever comes in needs to be a level above gakpo, whilst also not always crocked like Jota. And that's before we discuss whatever is happening at right back and robbo at left back is clearly on the downswing of his career, despite obviously being very good. 

Who the people who come in is always less obvious to me because I don't watch enough football outside of the PL and uefa stuff. I trust our scouting and data people to find players. I don't know if slot will be as good at helping them filter the good ones as klopp was. But there are loads of players out there. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Positions we need to upgrade? I think we need multiple. Jarell quansah until the last couple of weeks was our main center back. And we know konate can't stay fit and matip is leaving. So we must buy a quality centre back. Endo isn't a good enough 6 for your first team. We must upgrade there. And we'll lose a forward and whoever comes in needs to be a level above gakpo, whilst also not always crocked like Jota. And that's before we discuss whatever is happening at right back and robbo at left back is clearly on the downswing of his career, despite obviously being very good. 

Who the people who come in is always less obvious to me because I don't watch enough football outside of the PL and uefa stuff. I trust our scouting and data people to find players. I don't know if slot will be as good at helping them filter the good ones as klopp was. But there are loads of players out there. 

We'll address a couple of those positions I think, but it won't be with a statement signing like Arsenal did with Rice. 

We'll bring back some loan players and make signings in the 21-24 age bracket for £30-40m like we usually do.

Probably won't be a "statement" in the middle but that may be more down to there not being one available and less of the mingebag owners routine.

Certainly tried to make a statement there last summer.

5 minutes ago, dave u said:

We'll address a couple of those positions I think, but it won't be with a statement signing like Arsenal did with Rice. 

We'll bring back some loan players and make signings in the 21-24 age bracket for £30-40m like we usually do.

It might well not be a statement signing. The only real statement signings we ever made were with coutinho money. And my guess is we probably won't see anything big through the door that we don't think we can move on if they fail until slot gets his 2nd contract. There's way too many new faces for us to go big now with the risk averse way we go about business. The exception for this I think is if we get stupid Salah money. It doesn't mean we shouldn't go big on someone, we just won't. We'll get the Dutch right back for the new manager, move trent to 6. Buy someone to go in the centre back shuffle. And get someone like semenyo or mbeumo for the forward line. 

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think we’re all in agreement on a midfielder and attacker. 

I do agree on centre back as well, including the 2 above positions, I think it’s the least the top 3 priority.

IMO, full backs are matter of opinions. As-is, we’re well stocked (I agree on the Robbo point and have mentioned it a couple of times). If somebody wants to leave or if the club decides we need freshen up a position, we’ll have to wait and see. 

I doubt we’re going to come out the blocks and have those 3 positions boxed off by the end of June (or even July). With all the changes, makes sense we’ll be more active in the window once Slot has evaluated his options. Unfortunately, it will likely feel a bit dis-spiriting at times if we see City, Arsenal or whoever else making big signings before we do. 

• Upvote 1

Personally I would like a centre back, and another wide forward with pace who can dribble. The link to Summerville makes sense, even if it isn't him then somebody of that style is what I'd be looking to bring in, as regardless of what happens with Mo we need one anyway. 

I’ve never seen Kubo player, his physique looks like that for a 14 year old boy.

Like Aspas & Alberto, he might be a talented footballer, if you can’t match the physicality, you won’t make it in the Premiership. 

I don't think he's quick enough for what we want or need. Neither does he have the output to be worth the fee. 37 games(2732 minutes)7 goals and 4 assists. 0 goals 1 assist in last 11 games.