You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My child has little interest in the Reds

deiseach

13 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The solution is easy here. Get your kids down the Pier Head and around town all day for the parade when we win the league this season. The scenes will make them want it to happen every year. 

Made me think, I remember being taken to the parade in 1986 including both Everton and Liverpool. I was 6.  Felt like every game back then involved us two and Liverpool was the centre of the planet (which I know now to be entirely correct).

Maybe this planted the seeds for a lifetime of obsession with this stupid wonderful thing.

• Upvote 1

An interesting thread this one. I have 2 girls. The eldest has never shown any interest at all and is a very girly girl. The youngest is much different and seemed to have a definite interest till a couple of years ago. She's 13. She still likes to get the kits and wears them all the time. But she doesn't know any of the players we've signed from the last few years, never sits down and watches a game anymore and the last couple of times i took her the match, she spent more time on her phone than watching the game, so I won't break my neck to try and get her a ticket any more. 

I think kids today though are just different. Neither of them really watches TV shows either. If the telly is on, it'd be as likely to be some YouTube shite that they think is marvelous. In fact I would say they don't have the attention span for something like football, which has pretty much become a 2 hour game now (remember when the game used to finish at 4.40!). 

I do wonder if Perez at Madrid had a point about needing to find new ways to get the game to the kids. 

• Upvote 2

The kids live in a fast moving, short span 'highlights' world, that is even faster moving than we have seen with how coverage has changed as online and on demand has grown - even youtube has become old hat with tik tok seeming to be the more popular now....Even shorter videos - it is just bang, bang, bang - quick hit after quick hit.

Youtube 'shorts' are probably watched more by kids now.

Footy gets same treatment - my lad follows us and genuinely seems to love his rare visits to anfield, but he does not watch games live in full on tv, he hardly even watches the highlights on tv...it is all a quick 2 min video online via youtube et al.

When i was his age it was sit in bed with the wireless on a european night and if lucky might be allowed to stay up to watch the highlights on tv - but that was rare really.

Now on a european night he can sit on his playstation with his phone in front of him with the score being updated for him or the game on itself almost as background noise with him able to choose what bits he wants to watch.....Been a goal? Or a big incident...?Switch phone to the tv coverage with a quick swipe of screen or two and select 'recap' and watch the goal....

Or he can just follow score and then watch the 3 minute video BT or whoever post online 5 mins after game ends - mind you half the time he seems to see the key moments more or less in real time via twitter posts or whatever...It's just one of a million and one other things they have at the swipe of a finger on a screen - easy come, easy go!

Back in our day it felt more special as an event, even though it was often hard to follow and it required a different type of commitment to follow - one that meant you were just more present with it - less distractions too.

The world these kids exist in online and on demand is just so different and i feel it is breeding very different followers of the game and influencing whether kids follow game in ways that are just alien to us and how we grw up with game.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, an tha said:

Back in our day it felt more special as an event, even though it was often hard to follow and it required a different type of commitment to follow - one that meant you were just more present with it - less distractions too.

When I was a kid I’d sometimes watch games through pub windows if I didn’t have money for a glass of Coke. 

Just now, Captain Turdseye said:

When I was a kid I’d sometimes watch games through pub windows if I didn’t have money for a glass of Coke. 

Ha deffo...

Remember being dragged out shopping sometimes on a saturday and there would be crowds of fellers gathered around the tv shop windows looking at the scores.

• Upvote 1

They're better off out of it.

Football is full of utter cunts.

Especially Liverpool fans. Spend all their time cryarsing that FSG haven't signed Haarland or Mbappe or why they haven't accepted a £100b offer from whichever utterly corrupt nation wants a bit of a clean up.

Despite never seeing Anfield from the inside.

10 hours ago, Dicko said:

Especially Liverpool fans. Spend all their time cryarsing that FSG haven't signed Haarland or Mbappe or why they haven't accepted a £100b offer from whichever utterly corrupt nation wants a bit of a clean up.

A bit harsh on your fellow forumites perhaps. 

10 hours ago, Dicko said:

Might be best getting the team ready for Saturday, Jurgen.

My 6 year old who has stated he’s a Liverpool fan and goes around singing the Salah song and the Firmino song has now said he wants a Man City shirt because his two best friends in school are Man City fans. The sooner those 115 charges are confirmed and that shower are dumped out of the league, the better 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

My 6 year old who has stated he’s a Liverpool fan and goes around singing the Salah song and the Firmino song has now said he wants a Man City shirt because his two best friends in school are Man City fans. The sooner those 115 charges are confirmed and that shower are dumped out of the league, the better 

Despite my lad having to suffer 2 defeats in the away end at Brighton last season, I’m thankful that Brighton’s rise has meant that there’s hardly any Man City shirts round here.

If Brighton were still at Withdean with no access to tickets for kids and had been as shit as they were when I moved here over 20 years ago, I reckon the area would have been polluted by their shirts.

Small mercies