You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

My child has little interest in the Reds

deiseach

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

It was probably this, more than anything, that made me fall in love with going to the match.

As a lapsed match goer, there’s not that much I miss. I do miss that though. 

A night game away is always a great spectacle. Unknown stadium, hostile atmosphere and proper hard core fans in the away end. Even better if it was raining so everything shines under the lights. West Ham away at the old Upton Park used to be a great night out. 

• Upvote 1

My lad is 17 and only started liking footy and supporting us this last year. He was more into boxing growing up. Didn’t like football at all. My youngest is 12 and supports Everton like his Everton da so I’m made up my oldest supports Liverpool like me, we have some buzzes in ours like. 

I haven't stepped foot in Anfield in years, so I can't see my, currently two-year old, daughter ever going to a game. It's prohibitively expensive for me to be a regular, even if I could get tickets, and I'd never force it on her. I have a deep rooted emotional connection with the game - and the club - forged in childhood, but I know that really it's a stupid game, ruined by money and by idiots tinkering with the rules, formats and technology. I love it and hate it and genuinely don't think I'd be bothered growing up watching it now.

I can't see it ever being something we sit down together to do, so we'll find our own things (currently introducing games and climbing with baseball, ice hockey and cooking up my sleeve). 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I wonder if footballs greed has anything to do with it. Loads of kids can’t afford tickets even if they were available. Big groups of lads used to go, and end up being lifetime fans I’d imagine.  You rarely see kids there these days. 

This.

Access for kids is virtually nil, certainly with us, so most kids interest would be through the telly. Just not the same “grab” as actually being there, specially at a big night game, so no wonder there’s little of the interest my kids had that means they are both avid Reds, at 38 and 44 and have been from when they could walk, pretty much.

My grandson, 11, has been to a pre-season game and around the stadium and found the experience “ok” but he’s not really been bitten, as yet.

My granddaughter is nearly 5 and likes kicking a ball around, knows it’s us on the telly when we’re on, so there may be some mileage there.

It’s way too expensive now for many families with kids I suspect so where are the next generation coming from?

• Upvote 1

I'd be happy if the next generation played it rather than being hung up on teams. The likes of me came of age in a different era, but whereas back then the owners were very wealthy, now they are billionaires, whereas back then the players were very comfortable, now they live a different life. The players were accessible. 

I love Jurgen and to be fair our players seem like a good bunch, but the poverty around Anfield is so striking. All around the country it's the same. I lose sleep thinking of us but that's just force of habit and civic pride in our great club representing the city I love. 

If I was 18 now, I do think I'd be a Liverpool fan, but without going to the games every week - including going to Goodison the weeks we were playing too far away from home, and being in big groups with mates and having a laugh, hard to see where the passion comes from. Especially when our next owners are probably sportswashing bastards from the middle east.

3 hours ago, Reckoner said:

I wonder if footballs greed has anything to do with it. Loads of kids can’t afford tickets even if they were available. Big groups of lads used to go, and end up being lifetime fans I’d imagine.  You rarely see kids there these days. 

This is 100% a thing and may lead to a big tail off of interest decades down the line.

I have two boys who are 11 and 9. If tickets were accessible and affordable they'd be regulars but it's near impossible. I fell off the ladder for league games when they were babies and only maintained my cup credits. If I leave the auto-cup scheme I'll lose them too and the boys have no credits at all so there's no easy way to get tickets. They've only been to one competitive game each while I was a regular from the age of 6.

In terms of their interest levels my eldest was mad keen when he was little but now has a mild interest. My youngest is football mad but he's pretty talented and he's more passionate about playing. He will watch the Reds though and most other matches that are on.

5 hours ago, angie said:

My lad is 17 and only started liking footy and supporting us this last year. He was more into boxing growing up. Didn’t like football at all. My youngest is 12 and supports Everton like his Everton da so I’m made up my oldest supports Liverpool like me, we have some buzzes in ours like. 

Given your posts in the Everton thread I would never have believed your fella was a blue!

My 10 yr old daughter likes Liverpool, always asks for the shirt for birthday etc. but doesn't really watch the games much or wouldn't know when they're on. My 6 Yr old son is starting to get into it. He won a football at a fair and now runs around in the garden calling himself Salah. He's also mad into computer games so it's hard to know which way he'll go. 

And by the way, do yourselves and the world a favour and stop the kids watching YouTube. It's poison. It's fucking up their minds and attention spans. 

6 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

And by the way, do yourselves and the world a favour and stop the kids watching YouTube. It's poison. It's fucking up their minds and attention spans. 

I agree with this. Little sods won't listen though.

They tell me about something they've watched or heard which is usually complete bullshit, then they tell me who has posted it and its usually some tit like Alex Jones (the American one).

9 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The solution is easy here. Get your kids down the Pier Head and around town all day for the parade when we win the league this season. The scenes will make them want it to happen every year. 

Child walk rather than pier head but still, was definitely a great day out.

if only we’d had one for the league as well.

48015799772_ea1713f05a_c.jpg

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Agreed.

It's banned at my flat but their Mum let's them watch it at home, much to my annoyance.

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I agree with this. Little sods won't listen though.

They tell me about something they've watched or heard which is usually complete bullshit, then they tell me who has posted it and its usually some tit like Alex Jones (the American one).

That bullshitting cuntpig Andrew Tate is a fucking menace too.

21 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That bullshitting cuntpig Andrew Tate is a fucking menace too.

Another arsehole.

I think it's lack of life experience. It used to make me mad when my arl fella used to say you don't know what you're talking about because you haven't lived yet, when I was a teenager, but he was right. They don't know right from wrong in cases like that because life hasn't hit them yet.

Saying that my dad used to still say that shit to me when I was married with 3 kids.

Miss the old bastard.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Another arsehole.

I think it's lack of life experience. It used to make me mad when my arl fella used to say you don't know what you're talking about because you haven't lived yet, when I was a teenager, but he was right. They don't know right from wrong in cases like that because life hasn't hit them yet.

Saying that my dad used to still say that shit to me when I was married with 3 kids.

Miss the old bastard.

That’s one for the getting older thread, when you start to sound like your dad.