You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Trent Really Worth It?

The Trent Problem   

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is TAA worth building a team around?

• Yes
    • No

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Bradley's got quality - he's not just running around tbf.

I agree but it wasn’t his quality that transformed the performance of the team.  What did was having a functioning full back who was willing to do the dirty work so we didn’t have gaps appearing everywhere.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

I agree but it wasn’t his quality that transformed the performance of the team.  What did was having a functioning full back who was willing to do the dirty work so we didn’t have gaps appearing everywhere.

It was definitely his quality - he was the MOTM twice ffs.

11 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I don’t like it because it’s an absolute shitfest to watch and is harming the team,  we are winning in spite of us starting this way every game.  A few expected NPC comments about “LoOk AT hOW maNY PoINts wE hAVE” completely ignoring how many times we’ve conceded first or put in a horror show in the first half but scraping wins when we change the tactics.  For me you either want Trent delivering crosses or in shooting positions.  This tactic change harms that whilst also not solving the defensive problem because out of possession he is still the right back.  We then look all over the place in possession because there’s one less full back for the defenders to work the ball to.

He goes out injured and we played the best football we have in years with an inexperienced young right back who is just willing to run up and down the pitch quickly.  It really is this simple.  People are bending over backwards to defend him with everything other than their own eyesight and bothering to look at what he’s doing.

Im pretty sure one of the reasons we lost the game was because we didn’t execute the box midfield to counter arsenals properly?
Or put another way, one of the reasons why arsenal one was they played a box and it was

more

effective than how we played it/took advantage of the tactical unfamiliarity our right hand side of the team had positionally

If you just played with 2 traditional full/wing backs when we’d be outmanned in midfield. There are games when we don’t need that and I’d like us to see the full backs higher and wider but I don’t think that was Sunday.

And, while Trent has been out Joe Gomez has effectively been playing as the inverted full back stepping into midfield (and playing it excellently) and Bradley has been wider. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I don’t like it because it’s an absolute shitfest to watch and is harming the team,  we are winning in spite of us starting this way every game.  A few expected NPC comments about “LoOk AT hOW maNY PoINts wE hAVE” completely ignoring how many times we’ve conceded first or put in a horror show in the first half but scraping wins when we change the tactics.  For me you either want Trent delivering crosses or in shooting positions.  This tactic change harms that whilst also not solving the defensive problem because out of possession he is still the right back.  We then look all over the place in possession because there’s one less full back for the defenders to work the ball to.

He goes out injured and we played the best football we have in years with an inexperienced young right back who is just willing to run up and down the pitch quickly.  It really is this simple.  People are bending over backwards to defend him with everything other than their own eyesight and bothering to look at what he’s doing.

Name one game or even half, as you keep going on about changing at half time, where we didn't play with a full back moving inside?

5 minutes ago, The Guest said:

It was his quality, and also because the setup of the team as a whole was right.

Because of how we play, and Klopp has explained this many times, the entire team positionally has to be set up right both with and without the ball and especially in terms of how we press. If one part goes wrong as it did on Sunday then our dm and defenders can be exposed in having to cover huge spaces and look shit as a result.

If it goes right then we look like the pressing machine we have been for the last couple of months until Sunday 

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

I mean, it's just a fact that the results turned around when we started setting the team up that way. What we were trying before that was genuinely horrific.

Bradley has also just broken out so its not like we had an alternative before now.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

If after 7 years of top footy and as you said all the honors, VC etc. he is still a kid mentally - that is not a positive, 

That wasnt entirely black and white. 

What I mean is- He is 25. 

I had x2 Kids by the time I was 25, I thought I knew everything. Now I am 37 and realised I was just a kid too. He is only 25, 

3 hours ago, Fowlers God said:

That wasnt entirely black and white. 

What I mean is- He is 25. 

I had x2 Kids by the time I was 25, I thought I knew everything. Now I am 37 and realised I was just a kid too. He is only 25, 

I had three. And at 57 I am still a big kid,with man boobs and saggy balls. Can I play right back please?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Short term - removes a selection headache and takes some pressure off Bradley.

I wonder if we go back to Klopp's original style now Trent is out and Robbo is back. I don't see Bradley or Robbo in that role. Obviously Joe could come back but I think Jurgen will stick with Robbo.

1 hour ago, No2 said:

This sounds really bad. Knee injury not resolved by rest usually means resolved by surgery. 

That was what I thought earlier. I'd assumed his injury wasn't serious and we were just taking the time while there weren't many league games to give him some rest. It's seems it was and we've rushed him back while Bradley wasn't around. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-carabao-cup-final-injury-wgqccqqts

Trent Alexander-Arnold has been ruled out of the Carabao Cup final at the end of the month and will be sidelined for a number of weeks after aggravating an existing knee injury.

A date for the Liverpool right back’s return to action has not been fixed, although Manchester City’s Premier League visit to Anfield on March 10 looms on the horizon.

Opportunity now knocks for Conor Bradley, who scored his first goal for the club in a 4-1 win over Chelsea — Liverpool’s opponents in the final on February 25 — in the Premier League two weeks ago. He has not played since having been given compassionate leave after the death of his father, Joe, though he returned to the club this week.

Alexander-Arnold was forced off at half-time of Liverpool’s 3-1 victory over Burnley last Saturday and looks to have returned to action too soon after sustaining the initial knee problem during an FA Cup win over Arsenal on January 7.

The 25-year-old suffered a small tear to his lateral collateral ligament, but made his comeback three weeks later in the one-sided FA Cup win over Norwich City despite still feeling some discomfort. 

Liverpool were heading into key league games against Chelsea and Arsenal and the desire to have their vice-captain available was clear as he looked to play through the pain.

The Burnley game was the second time Alexander-Arnold had started since the initial injury, although Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp stated that the player was unable to last 90 minutes the previous weekend in a 3-1 defeat at the Emirates when selecting him in his line-up. Klopp revealed that Alexander-Arnold caught his studs in the turf against Vincent Kompany’s side and, with the injury having never healed properly, exacerbated the problem.

He is the second player to endure misfortune in his recovery, with Thiago Alcântara having suffered a hamstring injury just five minutes into his return after ten months out with a hip injury. He is facing another period out.

In addition, Dominik Szoboszlai is also considered a doubt for the Wembley showdown with Chelsea after sustaining a hamstring issue.

Alexander-Arnold will hope his rehabilitation means he can be back in action before England coach Gareth Southgate names his squad for the friendly matches with Brazil and Belgium at the end of March.

Southgate has used Alexander-Arnold in midfield and the player is determined to force his way into the starting line-up for the European Championships this summer.

Meanwhile, there was better news for Liverpool with Mohamed Salah stepping up his training on Tuesday following the hamstring injury he sustained with Egypt at the Africa Cup of Nations.

12 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/trent-alexander-arnold-liverpool-carabao-cup-final-injury-wgqccqqts

Trent Alexander-Arnold has been ruled out of the Carabao Cup final at the end of the month and will be sidelined for a number of weeks after aggravating an existing knee injury.

A date for the Liverpool right back’s return to action has not been fixed, although Manchester City’s Premier League visit to Anfield on March 10 looms on the horizon.

Opportunity now knocks for Conor Bradley, who scored his first goal for the club in a 4-1 win over Chelsea — Liverpool’s opponents in the final on February 25 — in the Premier League two weeks ago. He has not played since having been given compassionate leave after the death of his father, Joe, though he returned to the club this week.

Alexander-Arnold was forced off at half-time of Liverpool’s 3-1 victory over Burnley last Saturday and looks to have returned to action too soon after sustaining the initial knee problem during an FA Cup win over Arsenal on January 7.

The 25-year-old suffered a small tear to his lateral collateral ligament, but made his comeback three weeks later in the one-sided FA Cup win over Norwich City despite still feeling some discomfort. 

Liverpool were heading into key league games against Chelsea and Arsenal and the desire to have their vice-captain available was clear as he looked to play through the pain.

The Burnley game was the second time Alexander-Arnold had started since the initial injury, although Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp stated that the player was unable to last 90 minutes the previous weekend in a 3-1 defeat at the Emirates when selecting him in his line-up. Klopp revealed that Alexander-Arnold caught his studs in the turf against Vincent Kompany’s side and, with the injury having never healed properly, exacerbated the problem.

He is the second player to endure misfortune in his recovery, with Thiago Alcântara having suffered a hamstring injury just five minutes into his return after ten months out with a hip injury. He is facing another period out.

In addition, Dominik Szoboszlai is also considered a doubt for the Wembley showdown with Chelsea after sustaining a hamstring issue.

Alexander-Arnold will hope his rehabilitation means he can be back in action before England coach Gareth Southgate names his squad for the friendly matches with Brazil and Belgium at the end of March.

Southgate has used Alexander-Arnold in midfield and the player is determined to force his way into the starting line-up for the European Championships this summer.

Meanwhile, there was better news for Liverpool with Mohamed Salah stepping up his training on Tuesday following the hamstring injury he sustained with Egypt at the Africa Cup of Nations.

I blame Southgate for this.

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

I genuinely think his head is elsewhere already.

He's been a local boy made good, over 300 games, won everything. I think he wants gone.

Yeah can see him going to Madrid, not making it, then coming back to arsenal.

32 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Yeah can see him going to Madrid, not making it, then coming back to arsenal.

The Madrid thing I agree with, not sure about the Arse. I know he was supposed to be an Arse fan as a kid, but I think he'd want guaranteed trophies. Could end up at the arsehole of humanity that is PSG.