You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Trent Really Worth It?

The Trent Problem   

73 members have voted

1. 1. Is TAA worth building a team around?

• Yes
    • No

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You're right, let's always just look at the literal meaning of words and have a dump in our pants over that.

I'm not sure anyone is dumping their pants.

I always find the useful thing about words, is they mean things. If you would like people to understand, it might help the point you are making to use words that mean what you are trying to say. 

10 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

I understand what you meant just disagree on you saying Klopp and Guardiola are the same. Guardiola is dogmatic, Klopp is not.

Not really. I think they’re both similar. They have principles that they want to see with their teams but then have both changed their set ups and formations based on players and tactical choices.

People were saying/hoping Haaland wouldn’t fit into Guardiola style football and he made it work. All the talk on this thread about his use of fullbacks. His main idea is the same - dominating possession - but the set up has changed loads from his Barca teams to various Man City iterations. Similar to Klopp whose main idea is the counter press.

• Upvote 2

Anyway, I think Trent has mostly been very good this season, he has been pretty good defensively and not been beaten easily that often - with a couple of exceptions.

He does do my nut in a bit though when it looks like he can’t be arsed defending. Even if he did move into midfield he’d need to win the ball back (and more there than at right back). I reckon he might need a new club or hopefully a new manager to kick his arse back into gear.

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm not sure anyone is dumping their pants.

I always find the useful thing about words, is they mean things. If you would like people to understand, it might help the point you are making to use words that mean what you are trying to say. 

I did explain what I meant.

I also think you know that words can have more than one meaning.

Basically, you're being a dick 

8 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Not really. I think they’re both similar. They have principles that they want to see with their teams but then have both changed their set ups and formations based on players and tactical choices.

People were saying/hoping Haaland wouldn’t fit into Guardiola style football and he made it work. All the talk on this thread about his use of fullbacks. His main idea is the same - dominating possession - but the set up has changed loads from his Barca teams to various Man City iterations. Similar to Klopp whose main idea is the counter press.

Wow, someone who gets it. Unreal.

2 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Not sure I agree with that. Guardiola has always had the 'no.9' free. Whether that be Messi, Eto'o,  Zlatan, Aguero, Haaland, even Foden or De Bruyne. It doesn't matter who or how he plays that top role his principles are the same. 2 extremely wide players with a concentration of midfielders.

Klopp's Liverpool is so different to his Dortmund. Even this Liverpool is different to our greatest side. 

5 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Not sure I agree with that. Guardiola has always had the 'no.9' free. Whether that be Messi, Eto'o,  Zlatan, Aguero, Haaland, even Foden or De Bruyne. It doesn't matter who or how he plays that top role his principles are the same. 2 extremely wide players with a concentration of midfielders.

Klopp's Liverpool is so different to his Dortmund. Even this Liverpool is different to our greatest side. 

Well if you think Messi playing the false 9 at Barca is the same tactically as what Haaland is doing at City now, then I think we need to agree to disagree on that.

Just now, Jose Jones said:

Well if you think Messi playing the false 9 at Barca is the same tactically as what Haaland is doing at City now, then I think we need to agree to disagree on that.

Not what I'm saying at all. That top spot he can play however he wants. Whether that be Messi false 9 or Haaland. What you will see is Grealish, Henry, David Villa, not moving from the left touchline, a position none of them played until Guardiola and a packed midfield.

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

When you say I'm being a dick, do you mean it in the negative way? 

Phenomenaly clever here, bravo.

I mean this in the sarcastic sense, by the way, since you have trouble with this stuff.

Just now, Smell The Glove said:

Not what I'm saying at all. That top spot he can play however he wants. Whether that be Messi false 9 or Haaland. What you will see is Grealish, Henry, David Villa, not moving from the left touchline, a position none of them played until Guardiola and a packed midfield.

But Henry and Villa obviously moved from the left touch line? They cut in and scored shit loads of goals - especially Dave House - when Messi dropped deep and made the play. Haaland does not drop deep and make the play.

Just now, Jose Jones said:

But Henry and Villa obviously moved from the left touch line? They cut in and scored shit loads of goals - especially Dave House - when Messi dropped deep and made the play. Haaland does not drop deep and make the play.

But in build up I guarantee Guardiola would go mental if they moved from stretching the play. I think Henry has actually mentioned that. Sterling is a great example. Stay wide left then come in for a tap in. It obviously evolves but the principle is basically the same.

I just want to see Trent get a bit of zip back to his game, rather than strolling around and getting caught on his heels. Yes, he can see good long passes, but it's like he's focusing on those Hollywood balls now. One or two might come off, but it's all a bit latter era Beckham.

If he's coming inside and taking it off the toes of a 6 he needs to move the ball quicker or break the lines himself. Become a bit more of a metronome or a proper 8.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Anyway, I think Trent has mostly been very good this season, he has been pretty good defensively and not been beaten easily that often - with a couple of exceptions.

He does do my nut in a bit though when it looks like he can’t be arsed defending. Even if he did move into midfield he’d need to win the ball back (and more there than at right back). I reckon he might need a new club or hopefully a new manager to kick his arse back into gear.

What game are you watching? Seriously.  He gets roasted every single game without fail.  It’s got that bad that Dave has even cracked jokes about him being a cone who was one of his most devout “it’s a myth he can’t defend” followers.  In what way has he been pretty good defensively?  He’s been absolutely horrific and that’s when he even bothers to be in the right position in the first place.

4 minutes ago, The Guest said:

What game are you watching? Seriously.  He gets roasted every single game without fail.  It’s got that bad that Dave has even cracked jokes about him being a cone who was one of his most devout “it’s a myth he can’t defend” followers.  In what way has he been pretty good defensively?  He’s been absolutely horrific and that’s when he even bothers to be in the right position in the first place.

Would you sell Trent?

10 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Would you sell Trent?

You’re not the sharpest tool in the box are you.  I’d let him leave on a free which I think is what’s going to happen anyway.  It’s just unfortunate that we will have to put up with another year of this.

2 minutes ago, The Guest said:

You’re not the sharpest tool in the box are you.  I’d let him leave on a free which I think is what’s going to happen anyway.  It’s just unfortunate that we will have to put up with another year of this.

New to this game but it appears I've made my first faux pas

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Some mental shit on this thread. 

Seriously, we have some truly mental cunts as fans. Ridiculing and throwing extreme criticism at a vice captain who is world class and has been one of our top 5 players of the season till he got injured, rushed back and then got same injury again.

Let's sell him or be fine with letting him go because he apparently just strolls around, acting the big bollocks and getting skinned every game (all extremely exaggerated). Never mind that he's injects tempo and has incredible vision to execute passes only one other PL player can. All while still being a competent defender who is part of the 2nd tightest defence in the league.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I remember those halcyon days. That then changed into “Haaland has made City worse”, but I’ve not heard that one too much recently.

3 hours ago, Kevin D said:

I remember those halcyon days. That then changed into “Haaland has made City worse”, but I’ve not heard that one too much recently.

I think City appear more vulnerable this season than last,not that this has much to do with Haaland though. I don't watch them much at all but to me it seems it's a bit easier to score against their current defensive set up,whatever and whoever they are.

• 2 months later...