You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the Week that Was (May 8-12 2023)

tlw content

wtwheader.jpg

Monday May 8:

What a fucking horrific day. Black Monday this will forever be known as. Or Bloody Monday. Or just Dogshit Monday. I don’t know, take your pick. It was brutal though. It started with Leicester waving the white flag at Fulham, then Brighton just didn’t bother showing up against Everton and although Forest just about managed to take care of business in the night game, it was irrelevant at that point anyway. Everton are safe now, and they deserve to be for the way they’ve performed these last couple of games. I can’t take that away from them, but I can hold a grudge against Brighton for the rest of eternity, and rest assured I fucking will.

One thing that did raise my spirits a little today was that Tranmere fans booed the national anthem and the travelling Evertonians sang “Spirit of the Blues” all the way through it, which is actually fucking hilarious. They could have just chanted “Everton” or something, but going the whole hog and belting that out, complete with the high pitched “whoooooooo” and singing the guitar bits too is next level. Well done, I won’t doff my cap to the national anthem or to the King but it’s off to the travelling Blues, as that’s genuinely hilarious.

Sunderland got into the playoffs too after Millwall conceded a late winner to Blackburn at the Den. Still, they staged a “spine tingling” (the words of their official twitter account) rendition of God Save the King so they’re the real winners today. Gawd Bless ‘Im and his big big sausage fingers. Made up for Sunderland and for my brother in law, who was there at Preston today when they won 3-0. He’s buzzing so I didn’t want to bring him down by letting him know how devastated I am about what happened in Brighton. That can wait until tomorrow.

View full article

• Haha 1

• dave u pinned this topic

On the booing, whilst the usual suspects berated us )The Rail and The Rag) I read articles from Martin Samuel at The Times, Bascombe at the Torygraph, Maddox at the Mirror, someone at the Guardian, in addition the the article Dave linked in the Irish Examiner all calling out the Premier League and going into why it happened. On Balance I think most outlets supported/understood/justified our position.

Edit. I knew the Liew Article in the Irish examiner looked familiar, he published it in the Guardian too.

On 14/05/2023 at 09:46, redrosetints said:

On Balance I think most outlets supported/understood/justified our position.

Yeah a lot of the 'thought pieces' did. The back page headlines (probably front page too, I'm not sure) were a different story though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Yeah a lot of the 'thought pieces' did. The back page headlines (probably front page too, I'm not sure) were a different story though.

Yes, true but haters gna hate ….. The Rail wouldn’t miss a chance to be outraged in Tunbridge Wells. I checked their site, the article was up within 5 minutes of kickoff. All prepared etc.

I just thought there was a more considered view from the opinion pieces which we’d not seen previously from anyone.

6 hours ago, redrosetints said:

Yes, true but haters gna hate ….. The Rail wouldn’t miss a chance to be outraged in Tunbridge Wells. I checked their site, the article was up within 5 minutes of kickoff. All prepared etc.

I just thought there was a more considered view from the opinion pieces which we’d not seen previously from anyone.

I agree, my point is basically that it's the headlines that influence the great unwashed. They aren't reading well thought out pieces that go against their pre-conceived views.

37 minutes ago, dave u said:

I agree, my point is basically that it's the headlines that influence the great unwashed. They aren't reading well thought out pieces that go against their pre-conceived views.

I had to convince some Chelsea supporter yesterday (who'd been banging on about the scousers getting 'us' kicked out of Europe) that his beloved Thatcher petitioned the FA to ban English clubs from Europe before, ultimately, UEFA banned them.

51 minutes ago, dave u said:

Yeah, we’re both agreeing, I agree with your point. Just saying that those great unwashed want to be outraged and dont care about challenging their own preconceptions, they just want them reinforced.