You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Midfield

Fugitive

13 hours ago, Moo said:

Don't need to ignore it, he can be and has been all that from RB too and of course much of what he's done in this time period will have been from the right.

Zero chance he has ever been tops in winning possession and penalty area entries.

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We need to lower our expectations on some players values who offer nothing to the  squad other than the cost to pay them. We can't dictate to the market no matter how much we would like too. Its a real weakness of this side not selling players and evolving when we need to, letting players run contracts down just seems weirdly dumb. I dont know if its Klopp or Klopp knows he wont be backed to replace them so he keeps what he has, either way it results in the lack of ruthlessness and why the side has looked stale as fuck all season.

I don't think it's anything to do with klopp. Valuations will be calculated by the quants and their researchers. And if someone triggers that number klopp gets to have a say. 

Whats the point of buying new midfielders if we have 2-3 international players who have not cut it last season, just sitting on the bench, its more dangerous to keep them as we could be in the same situation as this season if they are made as an excuse of not buying new midfielders. Dont get me wrong i love both Fabinho and Thiago , but they are passed their prime, their combined wages must be 300 k week plus? If there was ever a time to weild the axe, it is this season  otherwise it will be a case of as you were sir.

5 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Whats the point of buying new midfielders if we have 2-3 international players who have not cut it last season, just sitting on the bench, its more dangerous to keep them as we could be in the same situation as this season if they are made as an excuse of not buying new midfielders. Dont get me wrong i love both Fabinho and Thiago , but they are passed their prime, their combined wages must be 300 k week plus? If there was ever a time to weild the axe, it is this season  otherwise it will be a case of as you were sir.

You have to have a squad. We've already got 3 to do this summer. How many do you want to have to do? You use 5 mids per game and there will hopefully be plenty of games to play. Henderson and fab have both shown their performances improve if they play less. Thiago might actually be fit when we need him if we get to use him sparingly. 

I'm sure if a good offer comes for fab or thiago, we'll sell them, but I really don't see anyone going big on either of them. 

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think it's anything to do with klopp. Valuations will be calculated by the quants and their researchers. And if someone triggers that number klopp gets to have a say. 

Bit of a mix isn't it?  Mane went for 30 million, because he wanted to leave, and Klopp was happy to sell.  Pretty sure when the quants were seemingly holding out for 25 million for Nat Phillips that they would have had Mane worth a bit more than that.   

5 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Bit of a mix isn't it?  Mane went for 30 million, because he wanted to leave, and Klopp was happy to sell.  Pretty sure when the quants were seemingly holding out for 25 million for Nat Phillips that they would have had Mane worth a bit more than that.   

I think Klopp is big on team spirit and Mane's lack of it was perceived to be better rid of. My opinion anyway.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Do you think? I'd have thought with his age and only 12 months left, 30m was about right. And there won't just be one number. There'll be various break lines, including one if we are a willing seller, which in that instance I think we were. And rightly too, the forward line was old and we needed to start resolving that problem. If he had a couple of years and we wanted to keep him, we'd have probably wanted double that even at that age. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Do you think? I'd have thought with his age and only 12 months left, 30m was about right. And there won't just be one number. There'll be various break lines, including one if we are a willing seller, which in that instance I think we were. And rightly too, the forward line was old and we needed to start resolving that problem. If he had a couple of years and we wanted to keep him, we'd have probably wanted double that even at that age. 

Yeah man, he was 29(?), African player of the year, generally recognised as one of the best in the world in his position for 5 years.

How much did Chelsea pay for Sterling when Man City wanted rid last summer? £50 million? A far inferior player at a similar age.

23 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Yeah man, he was 29(?), African player of the year, generally recognised as one of the best in the world in his position for 5 years.

How much did Chelsea pay for Sterling when Man City wanted rid last summer? £50 million? A far inferior player at a similar age.

Well they're not a similar age. Sterling is 28, mane 31. And there's always an English tax. So I think all that comparison shows is 30m was about right. 

Milner, Ox and Keita are off. Hendo should move into Milner role. Elliot is not good enough and should be nowhere near the starting 11 next year. Thiago is a luxury when fit but that’s around 40% of the time. We need 3 minimum and a RB if we’re fully converting Trent.

25 minutes ago, an tha said:

That's one of those interviews where no matter what he says he sounds fucking daft. Makes you wish they didn't have to speak so much. 

On 09/05/2023 at 06:09, VladimirIlyich said:

I think Klopp is big on team spirit and Mane's lack of it was perceived to be better rid of. My opinion anyway.

No2 negged this. Did you not feel Mane's behaviour,League Cup Final particularly,had become a bit 'off' in the last 6-9 months here? I felt it had at times. Post AFCON certainly.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

No2 negged this. Did you not feel Mane's behaviour,League Cup Final particularly,had become a bit 'off' in the last 6-9 months here? I felt it had at times. Post AFCON certainly.

I think ever questioning Sadio's team spirit is neg worthy. Team spirit isn't playing golf together or smiling for tik tok, it's running through walls for the team, Sadio never, ever didn't give every last ounce for the cause.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Milner, Ox and Keita are off. Hendo should move into Milner role. Elliot is not good enough and should be nowhere near the starting 11 next year. Thiago is a luxury when fit but that’s around 40% of the time. We need 3 minimum and a RB if we’re fully converting Trent.

Hendo is best moved to the exit - he’s done at the level we aspire to and already offers nothing. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, No2 said:

I think ever questioning Sadio's team spirit is neg worthy. Team spirit isn't playing golf together or smiling for tik tok, it's running through walls for the team, Sadio never, ever didn't give every last ounce for the cause.

You don't think skulking and avoiding contact with the rest of the team after winning the League Cup just a few days after AFCON is poor behaviour? 

1 minute ago, VladimirIlyich said:

You don't think skulking and avoiding contact with the rest of the team after winning the League Cup just a few days after AFCON is poor behaviour? 

The only thing I remember is him stepping to the side when the champagne was being sprayed. Was there something else? My memory is horrendous so there may well be something I've forgotten.

8 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Similar was said after we won the league, leave it to OK magazine to speculate on his relationship with the rest of the squad. What I seen with my own eyes was a player 100% committed at all times, I don't recall any other Liverpool player being as up for every game as him. I include Stevie and Carragher in that.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, dave u said:

The only thing I remember is him stepping to the side when the champagne was being sprayed. Was there something else? My memory is horrendous so there may well be something I've forgotten.

He seemed to avoid the whole team for a short while before that and didnt seem very happy at all. All the others were together,including Salah who is of course a fellow Muslim and avoids alcohol too.

3 hours ago, No2 said:

Spot on.