You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

18 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I watched an anfield wrap thing about Bacetic and Ox could save us dipping into the market in January and I think do people never learn.  You can't rely on a youngster like that and Ox will look a threat for two games absolute maximum before he puts in non entity performances and pulls a muscle. We need signings.

If we go down this road then we as a club deserve the inevitable failure that will follow.

54 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I watched an anfield wrap thing about Bacetic and Ox could save us dipping into the market in January and I think do people never learn.  You can't rely on a youngster like that and Ox will look a threat for two games absolute maximum before he puts in non entity performances and pulls a muscle. We need signings.

Was it a repeat from the summer? Surprised they didn't mention that "Naby will be like a new signing" as well. Maybe start throwing in Bobby Clark as the answer to our defensive midfield issues as well. 

Liverpool and Everton in race to sign midfield star George Hall - Sources (footballinsider247.com)

Sources: Liverpool and Everton in race to sign midfield star George Hall

Liverpool and Everton have joined the chase for Birmingham City starlet George Hall, sources have told Football Insider.

Leeds United had an offer for the midfielder, 18, rejected in the summer and still have a strong interest in him going into January.

Liverpool are plotting a move for Hall as they look to bring in a rising star midfielder capable of graduating into their first team.

Everton are also on Hall’s trail as they hunt for dynamic young midfielders who can slot straight into their first team and play a big part in their future at Bramley-Moore Dock Stadium.

News of the Merseyside duo’s interest will be a concern to Leeds, who offered a package worth up to £3m in the summer and were in pole position to land the teenager in January.

Birmingham are preparing for the funds to be secured and hope to use them to sign Dion Sanderson permanently from Wolves.

Tra LIVE!

Blues boss John Eustace has claimed keeping Hall is a “top priority” heading into the January window, branding him “one of the best young players” in the Championship.

He has already notched 18 second-tier appearances this season, with five of those outings coming as part of the starting line-up.

The central midfield sensation is among a number of top youth prospects at St Andrews’, with Jobe Bellingham and Jordan James also shining after coming through the ranks.

Hall was missing as Birmingham returned to Championship action on their own patch with a 3-2 win over Reading on 16 December.

On 14/12/2022 at 13:13, El Rojo said:

He's saving that article for Christmas morning. 

I mentioned in a post yesterday that I thought Amrabat had a great first few games but I was disappointed in his performances in the last two games. He seemed a bit slow and off the pace.

I’m not sure he’s that much of an improvement over what we’ve got.

Ox was very good before his Roma injury. And I thought he was good agin Milan although I'm not expecting him to resurrect his pre-Roma form. Bacjetic doesn't look quite up to it for me but I do like Tyler Morton; think he has a chance.

The links to youngsters are interesting but we need the "finished article" - we could end up with Elliott, Carvalho, Clark and Morton as the first team squad midfield next season. A recipe for disaster.

Bajetic is 2 years younger than Morton and, for me, has more potential. Morton is technically good and intelligent - like pretty much all of our youngsters. But like most of them, he also lacks the athleticism needed in the PL, especially in midfield. I think he’s found his level with Blackburn, even though at 20 he still has plenty of room for development. Clark’s excellent but he’s a long way away from regular starts.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, John102 said:

I remember someone mentioning Morton being better than Bajcetic previously. May have been Barnsey then too.

I just cant see it. Bajcetic is, for me, a couple of level above Morton, as a prospect.

Doesn’t matter.  None of them are anywhere near ready.  Which is why we have to watch Milner and co stink the gaff out when it matters.

2 hours ago, Barnesey said:

Ox was very good before his Roma injury. And I thought he was good agin Milan although I'm not expecting him to resurrect his pre-Roma form. Bacjetic doesn't look quite up to it for me but I do like Tyler Morton; think he has a chance.

The links to youngsters are interesting but we need the "finished article" - we could end up with Elliott, Carvalho, Clark and Morton as the first team squad midfield next season. A recipe for disaster.

Yes. Interesting that Klopp described them all basically as not quite yet physically able to play at this level (well Clark, Bajcetic and the lad at right back). 

2 hours ago, Simbo said:

I mentioned in a post yesterday that I thought Amrabat had a great first few games but I was disappointed in his performances in the last two games. He seemed a bit slow and off the pace.

I’m not sure he’s that much of an improvement over what we’ve got.

To be fair, he might not be used to playing so many games in such a short time? Didn’t he play in all of Morocco’s games? If we were already looking before the World Cup then there must be something we’ve seen, just a pity that everyone will know about him now. 

19 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

To be fair, he might not be used to playing so many games in such a short time? Didn’t he play in all of Morocco’s games? If we were already looking before the World Cup then there must be something we’ve seen, just a pity that everyone will know about him now. 

In fairness there were some rumours that he’s been carrying an injury for the entire competition too.

Maybe he is perfect for us after all!

• Haha 1