You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Eastern European Draft - Group B

Bjornebye

Eastern European Draft - Group B  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Pick Your Favourite Side

• Lee
    • Dynamite
    • No2
    • John

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/03/22 at 11:24

Lee

Hidegkuti and Shevchenko is goals galore. I'll be honest there are a couple of players I don't know too much about but they all come with decent reputations. 

Dynamite

Good players in each position, well balanced. Oufield 10 lacks an out and out star. Superb keeper obviously. 

No2

Love the midfield and as Lee said, Cash was a good shout. He's been very good this season when I've seen him. Boss keeper. I've never really liked Arshavin (despite his goals at Anfield) or Hamsik. 

John

I was loving his side during the nominations but I think your back 3 let an otherwise very good side down. 

Dynamite gets my vote, just. 

Don't know if there's still enough time to edit the OP, but the image used for Lee's team is his side prior to having to pick a replacement for the already selected Simic - He was replaced by Piszczek. The below is Lee's final team.

image.png.febe41574240140b1627db35b09262a9.png

• Upvote 1

I don't know most of Lee's team, for some reason John's defence and keeper reminds of the team we fielded against Northampton. Dynamite would get my vote based on the fact he robbed my fullbacks and Savicevic on me. Saying that I won't vote unless it's close, if it's tight I'll put the time in to read up on Lee's team.

Surprised my defence is getting so much grief. Think Akinfeev was generally considered one of the top GK's of his time, though i grant you probably more solid than brilliant. Kaldaze has won 2 European cups and is in Milan's hall of fame. Not a bad accolade. Then there is Skrtel and Klavan...

Probably fucking any chance i had to win but Dynamite comfortably 

I honestly think this is one of the best drafts i have had, but picking so many older players it was always a risk. Dynamite will go through

But for those that don't know the players i picked

Not a plea for picks,just a explanation on the picks, i knew older players wouldn't win picks. Enjoyed the draft. Also nice watching highlights without the normal Euro dance shite music tracks blarring

Dasaev is probably the second best keeper in Russian history and was one of the best in the world at his peak

Piszczek

Average RB but best of whats left

Albert Shesternyov

Generally regarded as defender in Soviet history

He was voted, by Ballon d'Or, the 14th, 11th, 10th and then 22nd best footballer in the world in 1968, 1969, 1970 and 1971 respectively. During these years he was regarded as one of the best defenders in the world and if he had chosen to join one of the many European big teams that were chasing him, many said he would have been even more so highly regarded in the footballing world. He was, however, always commended for his one-club career.

He was recently voted into the Soviet Union all-time World Cup team by football media website PlanetWorldCup.

In 1970, he became the Soviet Footballer of the Year.

Velibor Vasović

Played in and scored in the european cup final with Partizan,later moved to Ajax and lost one ECF to Milan before winning the cup with Ajax in 1971

Ajax great Vasovic dies | Inside UEFA | UEFA.com

Branko Zebec

Played all up the left flank through his career. Absolutely rapid,especially for his era. 11 second 100m in football boots at a time nobody had run sub 10 seconds. He likely would have been well more known if Serbian players had not been banned from playing abroad till they were older. Played in multiple world cups and top scorer in the 1952 olympics

Who was Branko Zebec as a player? - YouTube

Bit about him as a manager

Bayern Munich: Branko Zebec, the brilliant, damaged manager who helped shape a giant - BBC Sport

Part of Hungary Golden team that was built around 6 players(Ferenc Puskás, Sándor Kocsis, Nándor Hidegkuti, Zoltán Czibor, József Bozsik and Gyula Grosics) 3 are in this team. So good they named the Honved stadium after him. What they say about him

Style of play

In his prime, Bozsik was considered one of the best attacking half-backs in the world, possessing good technique, flair, tactical nous, passing accuracy and creativity, although he suffered from a lack of pace. He was often used as a deep lying playmaker where his tackling ability was also helpful. He is considered one of the greatest Hungarian footballers.

Individual

Hungarian Football Federation Player of the Year: 1952[

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1954

Ballon d'Or: 6th place 1956

Valery Voronin

No not that one

Valery Voronin, The Soviet Legend - YouTube

The Rise and Fall of a Soviet Football Star - The Moscow Times

Individual

Soviet Footballer of the Year: 1964, 1965

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1962

Nándor Hidegkuti

Probably the one that needs not much said about him

Nandor Hidegkuti - Father of the False 9 - YouTube

Father of total football | Soccer | The Guardian

Individual Hungarian

Football Federation Player of the Year: 1953

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1954

László Kubala

Not much more needs said than

Kubala was noted for his quick and skilful dribbling, composed and powerful finishing, and accuracy from free kicks. During the 1950s, he was a leading member of the successful Barcelona team, scoring 280 goals in 345 appearances. During the club's 1999 centenary celebrations, a fan's poll declared Kubala the best player ever to play for the Spanish club(Above Cruyff,Maradona,Stichkov,Romario, Ronaldo,Luis Suarez)

Laszlo Kubala: How A Refugee Became A Barcelona Legend - YouTube

Zoltán Czibor

Hungarian footballer who played for several Hungarian clubs, including Ferencváros and Budapest Honvéd, and the Hungary national team before joining CF Barcelona. Czibor played as a left-winger or striker and was notable for having a powerful shot, good pace and excellent ball control. During the 1950s he was part of the Magical Magyars, reaching the World Cup final with them in 1954. After the 1956 Hungarian Revolution he moved to Spain where he became a prominent member of the successful FC Barcelona team of the late 1950s

Zoltan Czibor [Best Skills & Goals] - YouTube

Individual

2 times best player of Hungary

Shevchenko

Well no explanations needed

• Upvote 2