You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro 2020(21)

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I guess people would be online and talking about shithousery because it took place in the Euros and we are in the Euros thread. I mentioned reds supporters because I am willing to bet theres quite a few on here who have not admired similar antics when we have been playing them. I get it that you admire the tactic and it would be pretty boring if we all held the same view.

Fair comment.

No harm intended, and I apologise if I came across as defensive or insulting. 

I actually think it's an interesting point of discussion. I also admire it from the Italians because of their shamelessness.

I certainly wouldn't admire it form the reds.

1 minute ago, m0e said:

Fair comment.

No harm intended, and I apologise if I cam across as defensive or insulting. 

I actually think it's an interesting point of discussion. I also admire it from the Italians because of their shamelessness.

I certainly wouldn't admire it form the reds.

No worries, We have different opinions about Italy and no offence taken. For the record I thought they were excellent last night but their antics just took the shine off it for me. Cannot imagine what it will be like when they play Spain.

• Upvote 1

Italian and other shithousery has gone on for decades as we all know, ingrained into them  and a lot of other nationalities. We have our own proponents now the likes of Kane, Sterling, and Rashford to name but three. I would hate us to resort to it but other times a bit of shithousery would be welcome, we all have our idea of fairness but sometimes it might be good to meet fire with fire. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, belarus said:

, but the last thing I ever wanted playing footy was to let someone know they’d hurt me.

Haha

Yeah, a bit 'in my day/Games gone soft'

But it was always drummed into me to get up, don't let them know they've hurt you. Oh and fairly smash them hard early to let them know your there. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

No worries, We have different opinions about Italy and no offence taken. For the record I thought they were excellent last night but their antics just took the shine off it for me. Cannot imagine what it will be like when they play Spain.

They really were brilliant. And their shithousery was brilliant too, in a different way.

They only really restored to it in the last 10 minutes, after their injury.

Their instinct seems to be to keep attacking. The fact they can do both makes them a real force.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, m0e said:

They really were brilliant. And their shithousery was brilliant too, in a different way.

They only really restored to it in the last 10 minutes, after their injury.

Their instinct seems to be to keep attacking. The fact they can do both makes them a real force.

Taking Insigne off was them saying "we've done our bit on the attacking front, now we hold onto what we've got by whatever means necessary".   

Have to say I dont like the shithouse tactics. Some seem to think our players (Liverpool) should exhibit stuff like this to win games. That's their view but I disagree.

If you start thinking it's ok for your players to act like shitcunts, roll around and pretending to be seriously injured when they are not etc, dont be taken aback when oppos do it. Anyone who says they did it first \ they do it why shouldnt we, misses the massive point.

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, m0e said:

Woke?

I'm not on Twitter, although I have a decent command of the English language and I use the words that best fit what I want to say.

No idea what cuck is, and snowflake seems to be an anti millennial/ gen z insult.

Virtue signalling is exatly what it describes.

An action from people who think they're better than others, and publicly pointing out the faults or limitations of said others.

These people seem to act as if their shit don't stink.

Some of the same people then talk about compassion for all and equality.

What phrase would you use to describe these people? Or do you believe they don't exist?

Of course, I'm also well aware that pointing out virtue signallers is also a case of virtue signalling in an of itself.

The paradox (and hypocrisy) of life.

Woke - that’s one. Good shout

1 hour ago, A Red said:

Rice or Phillips tonight? The answer is fucking neither, play Henderson there and the holding bit is sorted, the long balls are sorted and an extra attacking player can be picked. 

It will be flat back 4, 2 holding midfielders and mount. Should still beat Ukraine but fucking hell, lets do it properly.

I think Southgate will play Rice and Phillips IMO.

37 minutes ago, m0e said:

Woke?

I'm not on Twitter, although I have a decent command of the English language and I use the words that best fit what I want to say.

No idea what cuck is, and snowflake seems to be an anti millennial/ gen z insult.

Virtue signalling is exatly what it describes.

An action from people who think they're better than others, and publicly pointing out the faults or limitations of said others.

These people seem to act as if their shit don't stink.

Some of the same people then talk about compassion for all and equality.

What phrase would you use to describe these people? Or do you believe they don't exist?

Of course, I'm also well aware that pointing out virtue signallers is also a case of virtue signalling in an of itself.

The paradox (and hypocrisy) of life.

You haven't really described it's common usage, but maybe that's part of the benefit of not being on twitter.

It's generally used to shut down people voicing support for a cause, on the assumption they are not directly affected by it (which they sometimes aren't). The suggestion is that anyone voicing a progressive or supportive opinion can only be doing so for the benefit of their public image (or to satisfy their need to see themselves as virtuous).

It came from the pre-Trump online alt-right (the far right). One of those insidious tactics to suggest that any (usually) white people who oppose their views, can not possibly be genuine in their offence or motivations. Reinforcing their supporters, while attacking the credibility of opponents.

I think a better term for what you've described would be "self-righteous", plenty of that going around too.

Woke's a good shout, started as an ironic meme, turned into another insult for pretty much the same purpose.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Have to say I dont like the shithouse tactics. Some seem to think our players (Liverpool) should exhibit stuff like this to win games. That's their view but I disagree.

Wouldn't want the rolling around shite. But Mane staying on his feet cost us at least 4pts last year. That sort of stuff and killing games off and going to the corner flag etc Wouldn't bother me,even if it dont like it

3 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

Players rolling around, pretending to be injured is boring as fuck. 

I quite liked Vertonghen's in the last minute of injury time. Threw himself over screaming, popped straight up to grab the ball and take the FK quickly.

He was clearly beyond sick of them by then, so was good to see him catch them at their own game.

Thought Italy were happy to let that Doku have as much of the ball as he wanted. The more he had it, the less KDB or Lukaku did.

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

I quite liked Vertonghen's in the last minute of injury time. Threw himself over screaming, popped straight up to grab the ball and take the FK quickly.

He was clearly beyond sick of them by then, so was good to see him catch them at their own game.

Thought Italy were happy to let that Doku have as much of the ball as he wanted. The more he had it, the less KDB or Lukaku did.

Fuck Italy. I started watching Belgium v Italy, as I thought ITV had postponed showing last night’s episode of Emmerdale, due to the extra-time and penalties in the Switzerland v Spain match. I then realised they hadn’t but had missed the first ten minutes. Fuming!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Wouldn't want the rolling around shite. But Mane staying on his feet cost us at least 4pts last year. That sort of stuff and killing games off and going to the corner flag etc Wouldn't bother me,even if it dont like it

I think we all agree that 'shithouse tactics' are deliberate time wasting from the start of the game, feigning injury, surrounding refs to intimidate him, waving imaginary cards under the refs nose and more, rather than going down when you're clipped in the box, ushering the ball out of play.

I am no fan of teams setting their stall out to ruin games from the outset with behaviour outside the rules , but if teams give me scintillating attacking football for 75 / 80 minutes but find themselves with a positive but tight scoreline at that point , then I am happy to indulge their antics thereafter.

Shithousery has always been a part of the game and a lot of winning teams down the years have been very good at it.

There are of course levels, but for me you need a bit of it sometimes - especially a bit of cunning and being in refs ears.

3 hours ago, Pidge said:

You haven't really described it's common usage, but maybe that's part of the benefit of not being on twitter.

It's generally used to shut down people voicing support for a cause, on the assumption they are not directly affected by it (which they sometimes aren't). The suggestion is that anyone voicing a progressive or supportive opinion can only be doing so for the benefit of their public image (or to satisfy their need to see themselves as virtuous).

It came from the pre-Trump online alt-right (the far right). One of those insidious tactics to suggest that any (usually) white people who oppose their views, can not possibly be genuine in their offence or motivations. Reinforcing their supporters, while attacking the credibility of opponents.

I think a better term for what you've described would be "self-righteous", plenty of that going around too.

Woke's a good shout, started as an ironic meme, turned into another insult for pretty much the same purpose.

Got it. Appreciate the context.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I stay of Twitter to be honest. Everything seems to be politically motivated to force some sort of divide, and I'm sure there are guilty parties on all sides.

I like self-righteous. I'll go with that instead. Cheers.

Now, who were they again....

4d4ff44ee74b4d52513feadd0a32c4ce_w200.gif

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, an tha said:

Shithousery has always been a part of the game and a lot of winning teams down the years have been very good at it.

There are of course levels, but for me you need a bit of it sometimes - especially a bit of cunning and being in refs ears.

It has , so I guess the question is how far does it go before its too much?  In the South American countries they accept feigning injury as part of the game, being smart , and it is pretty much an occurrence in the Italian and Spanish leagues. Its not for me.

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

I am no fan of teams setting their stall out to ruin games from the outset with behaviour outside the rules , but if teams give me scintillating attacking football for 75 / 80 minutes but find themselves with a positive but tight scoreline at that point , then I am happy to indulge their antics thereafter.

Yeah, that's how I see it. There are teams who would have done that the minute they took the lead, no matter how early.

Sometimes, teams do it before even taking the lead!

Last night was the other end of the scale.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CapeRed said:

It has , so I guess the question is how far does it go before its too much?  In the South American countries they accept feigning injury as part of the game, being smart , and it is pretty much an occurrence in the Italian and Spanish leagues. Its not for me.

Then only way to stamp it out is through retrospective action.

First problem with that is you have to then start analysing everything that happens on and off the ball.

Suarez had black and blue ankles at the end of almost every game, because of the kicking he took on and off the ball.

And yet, he exaggerates a fall to get someone booked, most likely to get him off his case, and he's seen as the villain.

The other problem is that it's way too subjective a call to make, as there is no way of "proving" someone is feigning.

That's not even taking into account what you stated, which is that it's part of the culture in some places.

Why should they be punished for something like that?