You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

1 hour ago, The Guest said:

Beggars can’t be choosers.  We can’t keep playing a lad that was playing semi pro level football and another that’s played second division German football last year.  I’d take Lovren back now never mind Mustafi.  As has been said we need 2 not just one as well so hopefully there’s somebody being signed with next year being thought about.

I reckon both Phillips and Williams are better than Mustafi. 

Would say also Phillips is quite similar to Lovren. Both wrong type of player for our system, which is the main problem. Lovren should obviously, at least based on merit, be better than Phillips, but I honestly dont think the difference would be too big.

If it’s gonna make any sense the player or players we being in need to be a certain standard.

It’s a bit depressing if mustafi is the option we get in as he’s not good enough for Arsenal at 28 we shouldn’t be going near him.
In saying that I think it’s a better option to have him instead of Williams or Phillips and if Matips injury is not that bad- we could actually get Henderson and Fabiano back into midfield. 

Neither Phillips or Williams is close to Lovren levels. Lovren could often be very fucking good, the Champions League final vs Real for a start. He was fantastic. Problem is when he was bad he was awful, Mustafi levels of fucking awful 

Part of me thinks Mustafi would be hilarious. Well if we signed him and by some miracle got the player he looked early on for Germany. Would love to see the reaction of the Arsenal fans 

48 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Thing is if we bring in a foreign player who drops out the squad. I'm guessing Adrian but if we sign 2 then someone else has to go. I guess we find out if van Dijk is expected back

The Echo had an article today by Dave Galley suggesting that it would be 8 to 9 months for a return from this sort of injury. 

I'm worried that he will rush himself back for the Euros and end up doing more damage. 

51 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Thing is if we bring in a foreign player who drops out the squad. I'm guessing Adrian but if we sign 2 then someone else has to go. I guess we find out if van Dijk is expected back

I doubt it would be Adrian. A bad injury to Alisson would mean we'd only have  Kelleher to choose from or some even young less experienced players. It would most likely be Origi going out on loan or permanently if we drop our asking price. 

Coutinho would love to have the output of Fernandes.

Mustaphi used to play for Everton didn’t he? Without checking I’m guessing they’ve been popping the bubbly ever since they put Virgil out so to take one of their own in as a result could lead to some pretty sweet poetic justice. He is shit mind.

33 minutes ago, El Dangerous said:

Coutinho would love to have the output of Fernandes.

Mustaphi used to play for Everton didn’t he? Without checking I’m guessing they’ve been popping the bubbly ever since they put Virgil out so to take one of their own in as a result could lead to some pretty sweet poetic justice. He is shit mind.

Take away the penalties and there is little difference in their end product. 9 of Fernandes goals are from the penalty spot. Not saying he isnt good but his stats are well overblown by the penalty numbers. Coutinho had 76 goals and assists in 152 league games for us. People talk like he went through massive barren spells and was Luis Garcia rather than a player who averages a goal or assist every other game. Only 5 of his goals came from set pieces, over 50% of Bruno Fernandes league goals are from a dead ball.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

The Echo had an article today by Dave Galley suggesting that it would be 8 to 9 months for a return from this sort of injury. 

I'm worried that he will rush himself back for the Euros and end up doing more damage. 

I have said that from the start he shouldn't be back but you can guarantee the dutch will pick him for the Euros even if he isn't fit enough to start in the group games.

I doubt it would be Adrian. A bad injury to Alisson would mean we'd only have  Kelleher to choose from or some even young less experienced players. It would most likely be Origi going out on loan or permanently if we drop our asking price. 

Agree with that but then that leaves us even shorter up top. He seems above Miamino in the pecking order aswell. 

Screenshot_20210129_184823_com.twitter.android.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Some talk that Adrian has asked to find a new club before the window shuts. We have a zillion other keepers in the under 23's so I wouldn't be surprised if he left. 

You're probably right about Van Dijk being the other option to drop out - just don't see him coming back before the end of the season from an injury like that. However, I'm also wondering whether Minamino might be one that goes out on loan. Might help explain why he hasn't played any minutes since the Palace game. 

With any sense we have two centre backs on the way in that we need to find room for. Realistically though, we would do well with just one the way things are going. 

11 minutes ago, elvis said:

Nah , doubt he'll ever make it . Good luck to the lad though

Both things are correct. 

He clearly isn't good enough long term but considering his experience of professional football consists of half a season in the German second tier I reckon he's done pretty well.