You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2021 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

What's the update on this? Are we signing somebody or is it all just moaning & bollocks?

I imagine it is just ground setting.

We tried to get someone but just not enough time.

We tried to get someone but clubs wanted "crazy money".

In short we won't get someone and it will be everybody else's fault.

Hope I am just overly cynical and wrong.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Surely we wouldn't be forcing that type of deal though in this window though? We need someone who can genuinely play centre back. Although maybe if you've got Phillips doing all the heading an agile player next to him might be ok. 

Lyon and West Ham are meant to be keen going on what I read. Have to admit Barrington I never saw the lad play - well actually I did watch their games against Boca when they won the Copa but can't recall him. 

The only thing I can think of is that he is a player that Jurgen has liked for a while and we definitely need a good quality player to keep Trent on his toes and probably this kind of lad is happy to take his chances with us and fancies his ability to put Trent under pressure. The fact he can play centre half as well might make him very attractive at 8.5 million which is what it seems to be the rate for him going on articles I read. Paul Moran is a big River fan, so while he probably doesn't have too many contacts left in the club, he might have heard something.

I actually think South America is an obvious place to buy players. A hotbed of talent and huge clubs that are skint. The final of the Copa is on Bbc tonight and I'd be shocked if there isn't a really good centre half that is attainable playing.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Lyon and West Ham are meant to be keen going on what I read. Have to admit Barrington I never saw the lad play - well actually I did watch their games against Boca when they won the Copa but can't recall him. 

The only thing I can think of is that he is a player that Jurgen has liked for a while and we definitely need a good quality player to keep Trent on his toes and probably this kind of lad is happy to take his chances with us and fancies his ability to put Trent under pressure. The fact he can play centre half as well might make him very attractive at 8.5 million which is what it seems to be the rate for him going on articles I read. Paul Moran is a big River fan, so while he probably doesn't have too many contacts left in the club, he might have heard something.

I actually think South America is an obvious place to buy players. A hotbed of talent and huge clubs that are skint. The final of the Copa is on Bbc tonight and I'd be shocked if there isn't a really good centre half that is attainable playing.

The thing is though if you were looking for backup to Trent, would you go for a lad who I assume is a bit of a defender if he plays RB and CB? Trent is a midfielder with some defensive duties imo, so to cover him you need something similar. If I'm honest and sticking with klopps tradition of using midfielders everywhere, I'd use chamberlain as back up to Trent. Personally I thought he played his best football for arsenal as wing back. 

I'm not saying this won't happen (I've never watched him either), as who would know, but for me he doesn't seem to solve any problem if he's not a real centre back and he's not at least a wing back as oppose a full back. 

32 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

What's the update on this? Are we signing somebody or is it all just moaning & bollocks?

Well the facts are these: Any club in the PL is only allowed a squad of 25 of which no more than 17 can be 'non home grown.' Obviously U21 players are excluded from these conditions.

If we sign 1 or 2 cb replacements as lots of people are calling for we have a problem because the same number of players must be sold, go out on loan or be deregistered from the squad for the rest of the season.

In short, no outs means no ins unless we sign a U21 player to be our main cb. Alternatively, 1 or 2 current squad players must be de registered from the PL squad and will be forced to sit in the stand on full whack. Someone mention Ozul as an example or something. Do we want that situation, I dont think so?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Well the facts are these: Any club in the PL is only allowed a squad of 25 of which no more than 17 can be 'non home grown.' Obviously U21 players are excluded from these conditions.

If we sign 1 or 2 cb replacements as lots of people are calling for we have a problem because the same number of players must be sold, go out on loan or be deregistered from the squad for the rest of the season.

In short, no outs means no ins. Alternatively, 1 or 2 current squad players must be de registered from the PL squad and will be forced to sit in the stand on full whack. Someone mention Ozul as an example or something. Do we want that situation, I dont think so?

Klopp said gomez is doubtful for the season. His and Van Dijk slots are there to let go for this season. No point in rushing Van Dijk

17 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

Klopp said gomez is doubtful for the season. His and Van Dijk slots are there to let go for this season. No point in rushing Van Dijk

Gomez is homegrown so I don't think it'd make any difference. Wouldn't want Van Dijk deregistered while he's trying to rehab.

We might have told Adrian that if we have to make room it'll be for him, prompting the stories about him earlier in the week.

This Argentine lad makes sense. If we were looking at buying him in the summer anyway as back up, we get him a few months early and he can play CB whilst we have injuries. Once everyone fit he becomes back up to both CB and right back, as was always planned.

I am not saying I think it is a good idea but from a FSG minimum wasted money viewpoint it is very logical. 

Div, Naby or Kostas would seem the obvious choices.

I would go for Div, seeing as we have cover for the forwards with Jota hopefully being back and Div being useless.

Having to drop someone from CL should in no way whatsoever even come into the thinking of should we buy a CB.

25 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Gomez is homegrown so I don't think it'd make any difference. Wouldn't want Van Dijk deregistered while he's trying to rehab.

We might have told Adrian that if we have to make room it'll be for him, prompting the stories about him earlier in the week.

VVD will know if he has a chance of making it and if he doesn't, it's no issue dropping him out. It's doesn't impact his rehab, he's aiming for the Euros. 

15 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Div, Naby or Kostas would seem the obvious choices.

I would go for Div, seeing as we have cover for the forwards with Jota hopefully being back and Div being useless.

Having to drop someone from CL should in no way whatsoever even come into the thinking of should we buy a CB.

It's the league squad, not just CL.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

VVD will know if he has a chance of making it and if he doesn't, it's no issue dropping him out. It's doesn't impact his rehab, he's aiming for the Euros. 

and if that chance is anything above 0, he'll probably want to stay in.

17 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

Slightly off topic  but I see the Utd press office, sorry I meant the BBC are asking if Fernandes is the best ever January signing.

Just looking at our players I would have Virgil, Suarez and Coutinho ahead of him. 

Won a few games have they?

Virgil and Suarez absolutely. Without fucking question. He's probably done more than Coutinho though scoring all their dodgy pens. 

I don’t know how we could consider a player with skills for centre back to be a right back option in our squad. I know traditionally they’re interchangeable but our full backs aren’t defenders they’re attackers. I’d be more inclined to believe we were looking at wingers as full back options. 

11 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Virgil and Suarez absolutely. Without fucking question. He's probably done more than Coutinho though scoring all their dodgy pens. 

And that's just our players, I can't be arsed looking at other clubs signings but I'm sure there are compatible successes.

He's a good player don't get me wrong but take away the pens he's a bit of a hit and hope merchant who's often sloppy in possession playing in a team that has won nothing, limped out of CL into Europa League and enjoying massive slices of fortune in the league.

That club knows how to work media influence and spin.