You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

I'm supposed to be flying to Costa Rica to get married with 25 family and friends in 3 weeks. It's not even officially cancelled yet. TUI have updated their website to say we will get vouchers a month after our departure date and until that time we can not even ask for a refund. They are offering a 20% bonus on the vouchers, but prices have gone up 50%!

Isn't that where you got your bad arse? 

Just like to say a big thank you to Turkey, without you, we'd be fucked. Well played this sceptered isle, this piss stained Y-front, this seat of farce, this dog turd in a pool of vomit, this semi-detached council house, this insular little world, this rusted ford anglia, this silver shopping trolley cast into a sewage farm moat, this England

26 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

People who recovered from original SARS still have antibodies nearly 20 years later, I've seen nothing to suggest that this new version will be anything different.

Well I for one am thoroughly relieved with this news 

What field of medicine are you in again ?

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Isn't that where you got your bad arse? 

Ha, it was the beginnig of my troubles. I got an infection in the jungle though. We were going to be staying in an all inclusive beach resort & just doing a few day trips.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Ha, it was the beginnig of my troubles. I got an infection in the jungle though. We were going to be staying in an all inclusive beach resort & just doing a few day trips.

Horrible timing. Hope you get your money back.

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Found out my auntie has it, over a fortnight and nobody deemed it necessary, we were brought up together, like a sister to me. 60 years old and works in a Home where 6 have died. 

Hope everything works out for the best, Mike. 

Guest Pistonbroke

They've just announced that whilst shopping or using public transport wearing a mask is compulsory in Germany. Certain States are also calling for Schools to hand them out to children returning next week (only certain classes). 

Also, Biontech in Mainz have been given  the green light by the Paul Ehrlich Institut (PEI) to carry out tests on the Vaccine they've been working on. I believe that it's the 4th only group to be given the go ahead to carry out tests on humans. They are going to be testing it out on 200 volunteers. 

2 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

They've just announced that whilst shopping or using public transport wearing a mask is compulsory in Germany. Certain States are also calling for Schools to hand them out to children returning next week (only certain classes).

That's a good idea in my humble opinion. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, TK421 said:

That's a good idea in my humble opinion. 

It's been on the cards for a while, mainly due to the cunts who don't give a shit about keeping their distance whilst shopping etc. The majority have been great, but quite a few are showing what a bunch of cunts they really are. Certain classes are returning to school next week, think it is the elder children only who are leading up to final exams. Each state will be introducing their own guidelines/compulsory stuff, the wearing of masks for shopping and public transport is a Country wide thing. I think you'll find most countries will have to go down this route if they want to start easing up on restrictions, because if they don't then they really are playing with fire. 

1 minute ago, Pistonbroke said:

I think you'll find most countries will have to go down this route if they want to start easing up on restrictions, because if they don't then they really are playing with fire. 

No, no, no. It'll never catch on here, we're British don't you know.  We're following the science and the science says infect as many people as possible. 

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, TK421 said:

No, no, no. It'll never catch on here, we're British don't you know.  We're following the science and the science says infect as many people as possible. 

You'll have to wait and see mate. The UK are in a unique situation where they can watch and learn from other countries who are ahead of them and who so far have handled the whole thing better. Surely they won't make further mistakes once the peak is on the downward slope and they can look at easing restrictions themselves. If they carry on going playing things as they have then they should be thrown out of power. They should be getting together cross party anyway and letting County Councils decide what is best for the public, going it alone is just typical arrogance. 

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

+757 on the hospital deaths. 

It looks like the weekend lull was the usual staffing issues drop. 

It does seem to be on a steady decline.

I've just spoke to someone high up in the NHS in North Wales, and they are still predicting a peak in this area at the end of May. Can anyone explain how that works if lockdown is an effective control?

14 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

It does seem to be on a steady decline.

I've just spoke to someone high up in the NHS in North Wales, and they are still predicting a peak in this area at the end of May. Can anyone explain how that works if lockdown is an effective control?

Well if it's on a steady decline then lockdowns work, right?

Then you go on to imply that lockdowns don't work.   Maybe it just takes longer for the virus to spread in more rural areas?

If we all have to wear masks how many do we need? 

Say 60m people, 4 masks a day (is that right, if not what is?) 240m a day for 6 months? That’s 4.32e10 masks.  If they are 1p each that’s £432,000,000. Who can produce that many of anything?  

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

Well if it's on a steady decline then lockdowns work, right?

Then you go on to imply that lockdowns don't work.   Maybe it just takes longer for the virus to spread in more rural areas?

On your first point, possibly. Or, possibly the peak had already been reached.

On your second point, if lock down works, then it wouldn't lead to a peak. The idea of lockdown it to keep infection at 1 or less than 1. 

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

Say 60m people, 4 masks a day (is that right, if not what is?) 240m a day for 6 months? That’s 4.32e10 masks.  If they are 1p each that’s £432,000,000. Who can produce that many of anything?  

1 mask per day is fine for surgical masks. They are now developing and selling multi-day masks, I think some last for weeks. We have bought VirusShield Snoods which last for about 150 hours, but cost £20.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I think you can have 2 masks or something.

4 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

On your first point, possibly. Or, possibly the peak had already been reached.

On your second point, if lock down works, then it wouldn't lead to a peak. The idea of lockdown it to keep infection at 1 or less than 1. 

Lockdowns clearly work at suppressing the spread of the virus.  It's not a question of "if".