You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

the thing is, with the mass testing here it is surely impossible to measure it in the same way as areas without mass testing. So while I am sure we have had more positive tests, that doesn't translate to more virus here ... so it will allow them to manipulate the infections per 100k as much as they want. and if liverpool becomes the carrot for the other regions and to make themselves look better, but they happen to kill a load of scousers down the line as a consequence - do you think they will care? They claim the success and try to poke Andy Burnham in the eye and say "you should have worked with us". 

I genuinely believe they wouldn't just allow people from the region to die, they'd want it to happen, I absolutely guarantee Boris Johnson feels the same way he did about us when he wrote his famous letter.

• Upvote 2

I travel quite a bit for work (well, I did) and so I've got a vax "passport" with all ones I've had to take.  I'd to get a few when I was doing some work in Librevlle, Gabon and Kinshasa in Central Africa.  But I also remember having to get a few jabs for my honeymoon in Bali.

52 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

As an aside, I have heard that we here on the Isles of Scilly may be mass-vaccinated. Have heard that anecdotally, though quite convincingly, from two health professionals today.

Would be an interesting experiment, big range of ages and medical backgrounds, a lot of useful data.  2,500 of us here, a mini country with a 28 mile sea barrier from mainland UK.  It's perhaps also due in part to the logistical difficulty of supplying, storing and administering on such a small scale of doing by 5 year increments of age.  Would be a fucking nightmare for the small GP team to have to keep doing that in intervals. 

Interesting times. 

Wanted to head down there with the Mrs next year, what's the vibe towards landlubbers at the moment? We gonna be greeted with pitchforks?

20 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Wanted to head down there with the Mrs next year, what's the vibe towards landlubbers at the moment? We gonna be greeted with pitchforks?

We opened up without much ado from July until recently.  We had a medevac system for mainlanders testing positive and being sent back home, but it was never used, no positives.  Will be reinstated next year am sure, vaccine withstanding. 

• Upvote 1

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/left-nostril-tested-positive-samoa-first-virus-case-produces-bizarre-results-114201210.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMxgghDLd2s2c2MEtuc9iWxJkAIhgjsphHxP48Hy1q9vF5_t2y_3ekNXLVKxq2x6qbnh4Jli86eNaLsXm6Y6dOpyBUoN_FMvtTeVxZSjXxsffJVqplNgMtZLvjiP8WmyfwWElf2XGmgARrnTILDipvRqAfaKQBaZKlp39U2QsC7T

'Left nostril tested positive': Samoa's first virus case produces bizarre results

Kamilia Palu - News Editor

A country that has managed to avoid coronavirus until last week has reported bizarre and conflicting test results for the first possibly infected patient.

Samoa was among a dwindling handful of nations to have not reported a single case of the virus, while other countries have had hundreds of thousands of deaths and many more infections.

A sailor who flew to the Pacific nation from New Zealand on Friday, November 13, was tested in both nostrils and found to have a different result from each nostril.

"The sailor on his left nostril tested positive and on his right one tested negative,” Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi said at a press conference on Tuesday, according to the Samoa Observer.

“Samoa will continue as normal with current restrictions imposed with faith in God.”

Test samples sent to New Zealand could not provide further clarity on the results, according to Radio NZ.

The sailor has reportedly been staying in a quarantine facility since arriving in Samoa.

Addressing the nation live on television and radio last week, Mr Malielegaoi urged people to stay calm and remain vigilant with their virus precautions.

He also said the Cabinet would meet on Thursday to decide on any changes to the current virus procedures, the Observer reported.

Blood work samples from the patient are currently being looked at in New Zealand, with more results expected to be released next Monday, Radio NZ said.

Samoa is home to about 200,000 people.

29 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

We opened up without much ado from July until recently.  We had a medevac system for mainlanders testing positive and being sent back home, but it was never used, no positives.  Will be reinstated next year am sure, vaccine withstanding. 

Is it a trebuchet? 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

I travel quite a bit for work (well, I did) and so I've got a vax "passport" with all ones I've had to take.  I'd to get a few when I was doing some work in Librevlle, Gabon and Kinshasa in Central Africa.  But I also remember having to get a few jabs for my honeymoon in Bali.

That was your wedding night wasn’t it?

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah, definitely not a good idea to relax things at Christmas.

the focus isn't on deaths though is it? they're not arsed about that number, their only concern is having bbc news cover hospitals turning patients away and people dying in the corridors. it's been the case since day 1 and if the nhs had had infinite capacity, we would never have locked down even in march and we'd have just let this virus rattle through the county until we had herd immunity. and if that had killed 1m oldies, that would be great news for social care & pension costs. 

13 minutes ago, Moo said:

608 deaths reported today, highest since May, nasty business this.

11 minutes ago, Elite said:

Yeah, definitely not a good idea to relax things at Christmas.

That's actually relatively good news- it's about the same as last Tuesday, so at least it's not rising as it was. Hospitalisations and people on ventilators may have peaked as well as they're reasonably static, and infections (although that's obviously a more 'volatile' measure) are about half what they were last week. 

Just in time to relax for Christmas and kick it all off again...

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

the focus isn't on deaths though is it? they're not arsed about that number, their only concern is having bbc news cover hospitals turning patients away and people dying in the corridors. it's been the case since day 1 and if the nhs had had infinite capacity, we would never have locked down even in march and we'd have just let this virus rattle through the county until we had herd immunity. and if that had killed 1m oldies, that would be great news for social care & pension costs. 

I just don't see the point in slackening the rules for a few days that could lead to the deaths of older parents/grandparents etc, especially with a vaccine around the corner but as you say the government don't two fucks as long as the hospitals can cope.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That's actually relatively good news- it's about the same as last Tuesday, so at least it's not rising as it was. Hospitalisations and people on ventilators may have peaked as well as they're reasonably static, and infections (although that's obviously a more 'volatile' measure) are about half what they were last week. 

Just in time to relax for Christmas and kick it all off again...

Yeah it's stupid. Hold fire until the vaccine which isn't far away and things should be a lot better moving forward.

19 minutes ago, mattyq said:

I love how the 90% effectiveness rate from the Oxford vaccine was a complete fluke.

The giving them a half dose then a full dose came about by cocking up the dosages first time round

A very serendipitous mistake

Much like leaving a sandwich to go mouldy next to a petri dish.

For those more familiar with the law, any idea what will happen to all these businesses who are getting fined for staying open. 

Are they likely to pay these fines? Taking great pleasure in fines being dished out to the common law/magna carta brigade but will be gutted if they don't end up paying them. 

1 hour ago, John102 said:

For those more familiar with the law, any idea what will happen to all these businesses who are getting fined for staying open. 

Are they likely to pay these fines? Taking great pleasure in fines being dished out to the common law/magna carta brigade but will be gutted if they don't end up paying them. 

Not sure but I bet the girl below wishes see never logged on to twitter

• Upvote 2